ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   heater don't blow out hot air (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/405202-heater-dont-blow-out-hot-air.html)

expulsar gtir 21 February 2005 07:40 PM

heater don't blow out hot air

hi dudes i swaped my uk impreza for a wrx impreza last night ....................all ok but the heater don't blow out hot air it only blows cold ? any ideas

also it may be an sti but how will i find out for sure iv looked at the vin plates but it don't say anything about sti and i haven't got the log book

Scooby-D4ve 21 February 2005 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by expulsar gtir
hi dudes i swaped my uk impreza for a wrx impreza last night ....................all ok but the heater don't blow out hot air it only blows cold ? any ideas

also it may be an sti but how will i find out for sure iv looked at the vin plates but it don't say anything about sti and i haven't got the log book

Sounds like airlock in the coolant mate, air needs bleedin out

Dave

GU5 21 February 2005 07:46 PM

Check the coolant level quick!

Sounds like an air lock, does the fan keep coming on and off? It shouldn't.

If it is re-fill it at the header tank, not the water lid on the right of the radiator.

expulsar gtir 21 February 2005 07:58 PM

err yeah the fan comes on only a couple of times tho how do i bleed it

expulsar gtir 21 February 2005 08:20 PM

how do i bleed the coolant ? anyone know

dj219957 21 February 2005 09:42 PM

Could just be the heater control unit. Part of it controls a motor which opens and closes a flap in the cabin to let in hot air.
Poke your head under the passenger foot well near the centre console and see if the flap is opening and closing when the heater knob is turned from cold to hot.

Andy

AvalancheS8 22 February 2005 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by expulsar gtir
how do i bleed the coolant ? anyone know

Fill up the header tank and the overflow, run the car for a few minutes - long enough to let it warm up, stop the car, let it cool down, re-check the levels, top up and run again, let it cool down....repeat until it doesn't need topped up any more, 2 or 3 times should do it.

expulsar gtir 22 February 2005 06:28 PM

thanks boys ill try that

timmyajmy93wrx 22 February 2005 06:34 PM

is that run it with the header cap on or off :(

thanks!

GU5 22 February 2005 10:11 PM

With a cold engine take the header tank cap off, turn the heater onto max heat, max fan. run the engine while slowly filling the header tank. When it won't take any more give the lower radiator hose a squeeze to make sure there is no air left. When no more fluid will go in put the cap back. Give it a while switched off (half hour - an hour) and have another go.

Also worth checking for leaks, the coolant had to go from somewhere. I had a crack in the metal elbow pipe just above the engine number, right PITA to get to.

timmyajmy93wrx 22 February 2005 10:15 PM

cheers for that, ive been having right probs with air blocks! :)