ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   £3000 small car? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/405084-3000-small-car.html)

matt5cott 21 February 2005 02:27 PM

£3000 small car?

Right, ive been tasked with advising on a small/ish car, with aircon, reasonable insurance group and at least 'ok' fuel consumption (its first own car) things like cheap servicing/parts/reliability would be a bonus

edit-> (just to emphasise, performance really isnt at the top of the priority list :))

Obviously this isnt for me but my first thoughts where ford KA, any input greatly appreciated, as I want to advise so that the best car can be bought for the money.

on a side note we went to look at a KA recently, paid to get an RAC check, and it had serious rust problems, apparantly something that the KA suffers from, so thats slightly off putting.

simo 21 February 2005 02:37 PM

corsa
fiesta
punto

JoeyDeacon 21 February 2005 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by simo
corsa
fiesta
punto

My wife has owned two punto's and I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to get one. Current one is not even 3 years old and has had 4 clutches due to clutch judder. Fiat are unable to come up with a fix.

I think you have a surprisingly difficult task trying to find a Supermini with aircon for £3000. Due to demand these sort of cars seem to hold their money and you can often get a much bigger, better car of the same age for less money.

I would personally spend a bit more and get a Toyota Yaris rather than any of the cars mentioned so far.

Andy M3 21 February 2005 03:00 PM

Corsa 1.0 12v if you can get a new shape for that. had one as a loan car when my Omega went into the dealer. Coulnd't believe how nippy and refined it was compared to the older shape - recomended.

Ka was my 2nd choice, a luxuary version with full leather - loads around, cheap as chips in every sense of the word.

VW Lupo / Seat Arosa. Excellent build quality and big car feel. Only engine worth looking at is the 1.4 8v. getting very dated (no boot), and expensive to buy. - Comended

Andy

PG 21 February 2005 03:03 PM

Ka
Got one for the wife and they are great cars.

Dream Weaver 21 February 2005 03:21 PM

Yaris

Andy Tang 21 February 2005 03:40 PM

Ford Ka, I use one as my work hack.

< £2k for some!! :eek:
Group 3 insurance
Cheap main dealer servicing (£120 for small service due yearly, £180 for big service every 3 years)

We have a Collection which the previous owner added air con, 14" alloy wheels and uprated brake pads, which all make the driving experience a little better.

Our Ka is over 3.5 years old and no rust on it.

Neil Smalley 21 February 2005 03:47 PM

I second a Yaris. Wife had one, best small car ever and one would be 1st on my list if I was in the market for a small car again.

Brendan Hughes 21 February 2005 04:19 PM

I like Kas round the back roads.

Rented a Yaris and drove 3 hrs each way in it along the motorway - hated it.

Perhaps not equal comparisons, but there you go :)

Petem95 22 February 2005 11:15 AM

If youre willing to spend a bit more than 3k (maybe 3.5-4k) then you should be able to get a Fabia with air-con.

Ka's are dirt cheap, and are meant to be a great drive, but look w@nk IMO and the interior plastic is as bad as it gets. The seats also have a very short base, so no support for thighs unless youre a midget.

Yaris might be a good bet as has been said - plenty in the right price bracket and they always seem to do very well in consumer surveys.

Franx 22 February 2005 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyDeacon
My wife has owned two punto's and I wouldn't recommend my worst enemy to get one.

I used to drive one for work as well, and I'd quite agree:) Nasty things. The door handle came off in my hand once, as I tried to get in:(:D
Funny driving position as well, although the adjustable power steering is vaguely useful....

Fiesta? I was never too keen on the Ka personally.

Angry 22 February 2005 06:55 PM

Honda Civic VTi, lovely car.

matt5cott 24 February 2005 03:14 PM

Thanks for all the input people, much appreciated :)

The hunt continues :)