ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Putting your engine in the dishwasher? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/405075-putting-your-engine-in-the-dishwasher.html)

ALi-B 21 February 2005 01:54 PM

Putting your engine in the dishwasher?

Has anyone tried it?
And more importantly does it work...especially with cylinder heads, blocks rocker covers etc.

I have a few engine gubbins left over that I need to shift on ebay, if they were nice and shiny I could get a few more quid. :D

So far I've:-

Tried the degreaser at work, with little success

Also tried the steam cleaner and neat truck wash, which was OK, but a bit messy.

Oven cleaner works very well on cylinder heads, but would the dishwasher do any better?

I'm not going to take all teh bits to the chemical cleaners as that would eat into my profits :D

Vegescoob 21 February 2005 01:59 PM

I feel sorry for your dishwasher!
You could be the guinea pig and if it works, great. Thing is will gunge etc. upset gubbins?

Trashman 21 February 2005 02:04 PM

It'll be fine. No probs at all.

But just out of interest, please post the results here. ;)

OllyK 21 February 2005 02:06 PM

I'm not sure why a dishwasher would be any better than a steam cleaner and some de-greaser / detergent as that's essentially all a dishwasher is, just in a handy little box in your kitchen.

Trashman 21 February 2005 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK
I'm not sure why a dishwasher would be any better than a steam cleaner and some de-greaser / detergent as that's essentially all a dishwasher is, just in a handy little box in your kitchen.

Spoilsport :D

ajm 21 February 2005 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Oven cleaner works very well on cylinder heads, but would the dishwasher do any better?

Oven cleaner typically contains sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) which will eat into aluminium alloy very easily! :eek:

ALi-B 21 February 2005 02:14 PM

I was thicking the dishwasher detergent was a bit more potent. I suppose I could dissolve some dtergent in some warm water and put in a spray bottle, spray it on an leave it to work a while before getting the steam cleaner on it.....but the dishwasher sound like the lazy way.

Perhaps I should add my dad has an old dishwasher that he never ever uses. It's got a knackered seal on the pump, so it leaks, but if I can replace the seal then he said I would be free to use it, as he wouldn't use if it worked anyway! :D

Just I'm tempted to try it on my own dishwasher to see if it's worth bothering.

OllyK 21 February 2005 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by ajm
Oven cleaner typically contains sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) which will eat into aluminium alloy very easily! :eek:

It's a case of moderation I would think. I used to do metal work and after we had heated metal up we'd drop it in dilute sulphuric (after quenching) for a few seconds before taking a scrubbing brush and pumice powder to it. The acid just losened up the stuck on oxides etc.

Now in the same vein NaOH should be OK if sprayed on and washed off throughly a few seconds later, but I wouldn't go putting it on precision machined components, the outside of a cylinder head may be OK though.

OllyK 21 February 2005 02:16 PM

I was thicking the dishwasher detergent was a bit more potent. I suppose I could dissolve some dtergent in some warm water and put in a spray bottle, spray it on an leave it to work a while before getting the steam cleaner on it.....but the dishwasher sound like the lazy way.

Perhaps I should add my dad has an old dishwasher that he never ever uses. It's got a knackered seal on the pump, so it leaks, but if I can replace the seal then he said I would be free to use it, as he wouldn't use if it worked anyway! :D

Just I'm tempted to try it on my own dishwasher to see if it's worth bothering.

You need to make sure the baskets can take the weight and don't deform on to the spray arms, if they get jamed up they aren't going to do anything for you.

Brendan Hughes 21 February 2005 02:16 PM

I have a few engine gubbins left over that I need to shift on ebay, if they were nice and shiny I could get a few more quid.

...including the net outlay of a replacement dishwasher, yes?

EDIT - ah, it's your dad's old one. OK.

ALi-B 21 February 2005 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by ajm

I know, so does aluminium cleaner - but that doesn't shift the grease or varnish. Still if the aluminum is oxidised already what harm can it do :D

I should add this is prior to re-skimming the head surfaces ;)

David Lock 21 February 2005 02:20 PM

Might as well go the whole hog and use the washing machine and then tumble dryer for perfect results :) :)

ajm 21 February 2005 02:21 PM

I know, so does aluminium cleaner - but that doesn't shift the grease or varnish. Still if the aluminum is oxidised already what harm can it do :D

I should add this is prior to re-skimming the head surfaces ;)

I had visions of you spraying on Mr Muscle foam and leaving for an hour or two! :eek: ;)

BOB.T 21 February 2005 07:42 PM

Wazz some alloy wheel cleaner on! :cool:

unclebuck 21 February 2005 07:45 PM

What a bunch of cowboys :rolleyes: Spend a few quid and get the parts vapour blasted. It's a non agressive treatment that brings engine bits up like brand new.

Vegescoob 21 February 2005 07:50 PM

Memo to self. Do not buy engine bits from ALi-B. Goodness knows what chemicals they have been subjected to!
:)

sti-04!! 21 February 2005 10:27 PM

I have a large device in my workshop thats called the "buppy", its just a massive dishwasher that brings up engine bits like new

Vipa 21 February 2005 11:04 PM

[QUOTE=ALi-B]I was thicking the dishwasher detergent was a bit more potent. I suppose I could dissolve some dtergent in some warm water and put in a spray bottle, spray it on an leave it to work a while before getting the steam cleaner on it.....but the dishwasher sound like the lazy way.

QUOTE]

Dishwasher tablets/powder is primarily an abrasive. Yes it contains detergent and other crap but about 50% of it is basically sand type stuff that gets blasted at the pots and pans for about an hour hence the reason it doesn't take long for wine glasses to lose thier clarity 'cos they're all scratched.

Paul

fast bloke 21 February 2005 11:38 PM

I used to wash motorbike bits in the dishwasher - Only way I've ever figured out to get the pegs looking like new. (Until the wife came home early and caught me :eek: )

brickboy 22 February 2005 08:59 AM

Yep -- in hi-fi circles there's a phenomenon known as the WAF or "Wife Acceptance Factor".

FYI, engine bits in the dishy scores VERY low on the WAF scale ;):D

CrisPDuk 22 February 2005 09:06 AM

Good grief! Am I the only one who has a dishwasher in his garage for this very reason:)

FWIW, It's worked a treat on everything I've ever tried it on, sump pans, cylinder heads, gearbox & diff casings, the lot:) It even brought my old V6 Sierra's rocker covers up like new, and they had 18 years/220k miles of old oil & crap well & truly baked on to them:)

StickyMicky 22 February 2005 09:41 AM

i cant belive people are putting engine bits into dishwashers LMFAO

ALi-B 22 February 2005 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
i cant belive people are putting engine bits into dishwashers LMFAO

I got the idea from a "4x4 is born" Apparently the presenter had problems with the WAF too :lol:

At least I'm not sandblasting my engine bits! :D How long would an engine last with the oilways full of sand? :eek:

CrisPDuk 23 February 2005 09:39 AM

I got the idea from a "4x4 is born" Apparently the presenter had problems with the WAF too :lol:

At least I'm not sandblasting my engine bits! :D How long would an engine last with the oilways full of sand? :eek:

That's why you need the dishwasher, obviously, to get the sand out of the oilways;)

pbee 23 February 2005 09:59 AM

the guy on discovery that is always building things, planes, helicopters ec ect Mark someone. i watched some of the series of him turning a old landie v8 into a monster truck 4x4 thing.

he put the block and other bits in the dishwasher very early in the morning whilst his wife was asleep. Did come out pretty clean but i think he still had it chemaically cleaned and then coted with something as it was matt grey in the next shot.

Supposedly his wife chucked him out of the house and he was sleeping in the workshop near the end of the series !!!.