ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Scotland (https://www.scoobynet.com/scotland-28/)
-   -   Ullapool / Aultbea - 1 week to go! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scotland-28/403968-ullapool-aultbea-1-week-to-go.html)

Abdabz 17 February 2005 10:32 AM

Ullapool / Aultbea - 1 week to go!

Well the 26th Feb sees me embark on the 8+hour gruel from Manchester to Ullapool - M6 / various M70 somethings / A9 etc / A832 (from memory)...

So firstly any major changes to roads / increases in speed cameras on the bulk of the scottish part of the route / major roadworks and all that?

Also keep an eye out up there for my green 99 classic saloon from the 26th to the following Sat - staying in the Wester Ross region - will be tinkering through Torridon and Applecross along with the usual Loch Maree / Ullapool things :D

Oh and is there still a man reading a book and charging me 20p to pee in the toilets overlooking Inverness on the other side of the bridge? :) Quality

P

sti-04!! 17 February 2005 01:15 PM

:confused:

www.scottishscoobies.com

:p

p1doc 17 February 2005 10:18 PM

coming from manchester he probably does not understand your pettiness steven
martin

sti-04!! 17 February 2005 11:03 PM

Its STEPHEN :rolleyes:

Stephen ;)
The pedant

SiPie 18 February 2005 12:51 PM

coming from manchester he probably does not understand your pettiness steven
martin
lol :)

HI SOOB 18 February 2005 07:41 PM

Funny that..........3 posts and no one has the ability to answer the guys question:mad:

Sad stuff, all you lot can do is bicker!!!

Abdabz, I appologise for the previous posts on your thread, there is no excuse:mad:

Regarding your holiday up here in the tropical part of Great Britain:norty: , you will have a cracking time, no matter what the weather is.
You asked about roadworks, etc, the only ones that i know of are just past Glasgow, near Cumbernauld. But perhaps your not coming up that far?? Are you going by Lochlomond or are you going up the A9 to inverness and then cutting accross??

Either way, just keep an eye out for the Plod, they use unmarked cars, bikes, mobile cameras, VAScar (spelling?) and the good old fixed cameras. So there is plenty to look out for.
In general, the roads are good and traffic isnt a problem.

As for the guy that whips the 20p from you at Inverness.........no idea:)

Cant think of anything else to let you know about.........just drive carefully and enjoy your stay.

Regards

Jamie

st3ph3n 18 February 2005 08:58 PM

If you come up the M74, then onto the M73 and onwards to the A80/M80, M9 then A9 towards perth and onto Inverness then you'll hit some roadworks on the 73 that are a real pain in the arse at rush hour, but fine during the day, then the hell of the Auchenkillins roundabout on the A80, which again is a pain in the arse during rush hour. After that it's fairly clear sailing. Or Driving.

Just watch those speed cams on the A9.

sti-04!! 19 February 2005 01:10 AM

Go down the A80 you might just see my BIG WHITE BUILDING

I can see you's :p:p

Sparkymini 19 February 2005 01:58 AM

all i can say it ENJOY!!!

the roads in wester ross are class!!

Abdabz 19 February 2005 10:05 AM

Cheers guys - HI SOOB - A9 up and across - prefer to go via Glencoe etc but it adds to much time on to the journey...
Cheers for the advice ref the plod - Im not suprised theyre getting clever - esp on the A9...
Thanks Sparkymini - been going up there at least once a year since I was born - 30 yrs later and the first time in the scoob - cant wait :)
Ohn and the only big white building I remember seeing on my journey over the border is Blair Atholl :) - now if ya livin there I wanna meet your sister :D

Mat R 19 February 2005 04:30 PM

Ah.... we went up there last summer.... Kirkby Lonsdale to ullapool... then on to reiff...very very nice roads and area... admittedly the driving wasnt the best in a fiat uylesse with a boat on the back!!

Neway great trip..ENJOY....

Just pick ya route carefully...took me 16hrs to get home!!!! Bad bad trip!

all the best matthew

Mat R 19 February 2005 04:39 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...k/e4169162.jpg

gr1 19 February 2005 10:13 PM

cracking scenery.don't know 'bout the thing pulling the boat thou.
anyway let us know about your trip as im heading for ullapool/applecross area last week in april (cant wait)
post some pics if u can
ps
what do you do for fuel if your in a classic as u cant get anything but U/L north of F.W.. dont want to throw in too much OB too make up octane rating(bloody expensive anyway)
cheers
graham

Abdabz 20 February 2005 10:33 AM

I will be taking plenty of pics of the car up there and will post in the gallery when I get back :)
As for fuel - mate, I'll fill up on 97ron in Inverness on the way up - might need to make one fill on 95ron while up there but then back on the good stuff when I get back down at the end of the hol... So not too bad :D Im suer the garage just off before the big bridge does Super?
Matt R - is that a pic of the road to Cove looking back towards Poolewe? Im guessing here...help me out :D

Mat R 20 February 2005 01:42 PM

Its the lauching area just outside achiltibuie.... 10mins from reiff.... its on from ullapool... pretty well out...got some more pics some where..more.sceneary than cars!...

Mat R 20 February 2005 01:50 PM

Graham.... lol ye...but it got 4 of us...the dog.... and all the laguage for 2 weeks... and we still got 40mpg wiv a boat on..so i wasnt complaining!lol...but ye...not quite a scoob lol... The mull trip is when the scoobs/evos come out!