ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Whens the engine up to temp? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/403503-whens-the-engine-up-to-temp.html)

olliecampbell 15 February 2005 06:02 PM

Whens the engine up to temp?

Is it when the dial moves to the usual position on the temp guage (at the bottom of the little picture) or does that not mean its ok to start pushing the engine a little more?

Ive got some guages waiting to go in, i was just wondering.

Ollie

V LTD sti type RA 15 February 2005 06:24 PM

yes when it is at its optimum running temperature. roughly 5-10mins

NeilP1 15 February 2005 06:26 PM

you are looking for 85C+ and back off at around 110

johnfelstead 15 February 2005 06:30 PM

The important temperature is the oil temperature, that lags behind the water temp by 5-10 minutes, so dont go ragging the engine as soon as the water temp is showing normal.

New_scooby_04 15 February 2005 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by olliecampbell
Is it when the dial moves to the usual position on the temp guage (at the bottom of the little picture) or does that not mean its ok to start pushing the engine a little more?

Ive got some guages waiting to go in, i was just wondering.

Ollie

No mate, that's not the oil temp, IIRC its just the coolant! It takes about another 10 mins or so after that guage reads normal before the OIL is up to temperature- which is what matters- before you can extend the car.

Regards.

STI-R/A 15 February 2005 06:39 PM

I drive mine for 4 miles keeping it under 3500rpm (off-boost), then its boot down : )

This IMO is adequate time for everything to warm up properly.

ukjesters 15 February 2005 06:49 PM

I base mine on a reply off a different thread and that is when the gears go in smoothly, ie the oil is warmed up in the gearbox, and the gears are going in smoothly as opposed to it being a bit notchy when it is cold.

Is this a safe premis to be working off?

Up until this point i admittingly drive like miss daisy. (i've only had the scoob, and the smile that goes with it, for a little over a week!!!)

leecalcars 15 February 2005 07:36 PM

I wait untill the oil pressure guage is reading around 80 psi at 500 rpm it normaly shoots over to 115 psi at start up let her run for around 15 mins before driving off which can be a pain when all you work mates are going home leaving you sitting there but it dose'nt take long to catch them upm ha ha

Brun 15 February 2005 07:41 PM

You have to be pulling my plonker. You actually sit and let the car warm up? :lol:

Brun 15 February 2005 07:46 PM

Click here and see post #8 for the Defi answer to the question :D

Jamo 15 February 2005 07:48 PM

lol, I work on oil temp of 90, then let rip.

highlander68k 15 February 2005 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by leecalcars
I wait untill the oil pressure guage is reading around 80 psi at 500 rpm it normaly shoots over to 115 psi at start up let her run for around 15 mins before driving off which can be a pain when all you work mates are going home leaving you sitting there but it dose'nt take long to catch them upm ha ha

Don't forget you also need to warm up the transmission oil before you boot it as well - not achievable by standing still.

leecalcars 15 February 2005 07:54 PM

I go inside then have a cuppa and a fag then off to work ....

leecalcars 15 February 2005 07:56 PM

It doesn't get a good boot untill im on my second fag and have woken up these type r are fast you know.

NeilP1 15 February 2005 08:00 PM

so how hot can your oil go befor its time to back off and cool it down

Spring Heeled Jack 15 February 2005 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
The important temperature is the oil temperature, that lags behind the water temp by 5-10 minutes, so dont go ragging the engine as soon as the water temp is showing normal.

That's right.

cw42 15 February 2005 08:02 PM

Since getting my oil temp gauge, I've been very surprised to see the difference in how long it takes for the oil to warm. On my drive to work, its all major A roads, with occasional stops for lights and junctions, engine is warm within 10 mins.
Drive home is straight onto motorway for 5 mins, followed by the same A roads back, and engine takes much longer to warm through.
Cold days are obviously worse, but sitting on your drive waiting for the engine to warm is a waste of time. Get driving, and the engine will warm through ok with no probs. Obviously dont go booting it from the off.
The same applies to cooling down, normal driving back to your house off boost is more that enough to cool the engine properly, and no need for turbo timers and sitting on the drive. I have actually seen a slight increase when I've sat waiting for my engine to "cool" for too long after a hard run.
chris. my99 uk turbo.

leecalcars 15 February 2005 08:09 PM

The car dosn't seem to drive right it seems to rattle until it has been warmed up

GREEN SCOOBY 15 February 2005 08:31 PM

I let the car idle a couple of minutes and then get it out of the garage and then wont boost it at all untill i have done 8 mile. Bob rawle told me this one.

ukjesters 15 February 2005 08:35 PM

I think as a result of this post my first mod has been decided, a set of guages for the centre pod (if thats what its called) my99 uk.

What would the 3rd guage be, i imagine turbo boost pressure, oil temp, what else?

leecalcars 15 February 2005 08:43 PM

I have graham goods centre pods 1 of which is oil pressure 2 volts 3 is boost guage.

ukjesters 15 February 2005 08:43 PM

ok, got it....oil pressure

leecalcars 15 February 2005 08:45 PM

[QUOTE=ukjesters]I think as a result of this post my first mod has been decided, a set of guages for the centre pod (if thats what its called) my99 uk.

What would the 3rd guage be, i imagine turbo boost pressure, oil temp, what else? I have graham goods 1 oil pressure 2 volts 3 boost pressure

chrisp 15 February 2005 08:49 PM

http://www.btinternet.com/~c.pinnock/peak_boost.jpg

cw42 15 February 2005 08:49 PM

here's mine:

http://www.wilkinson42.btinternet.co...ge_install.jpg

afr, boost, oil temp.

damn you crisp, you beat me to it! :):)

ukjesters 15 February 2005 08:53 PM

wow..this community really is something else. I do prefer the centre pod as opposed to the a-pillar, but thats just a matter of personal taste.

Are they hard to fit or is there somewhere in the N.East that anyone could recommend?

I aint that hand with a mell !!!

wrx bill 15 February 2005 10:27 PM

oil pressure

Brun 15 February 2005 10:50 PM

Defi - Oil Pressure, Oil Temp and Boost :D :notworthy

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.brunskill1/defi.jpg

olliecampbell 16 February 2005 09:53 AM

Ahh of course, water temp not oil temp!

Should really get my guages installed!!!!! :) thanks guys

Im surprised noone has done a gearbox temp sensor, but i suppose that would be a bit hard as theres no way of getting into the gearbox.

Trashman 16 February 2005 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ukjesters
I base mine on a reply off a different thread and that is when the gears go in smoothly, ie the oil is warmed up in the gearbox, and the gears are going in smoothly as opposed to it being a bit notchy when it is cold.

Is this a safe premis to be working off?

Up until this point i admittingly drive like miss daisy. (i've only had the scoob, and the smile that goes with it, for a little over a week!!!)

It's a reasonable guide - I used to do the same then got my Defi's fitted and the temp was at normal around the same time/point in my journey. In fact it is erring on the side of caution as if you have to sit in any traffic, the gearbox wont warm/loosen as much but the engine will go on warming.