ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Boy these cars drink!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/403448-boy-these-cars-drink.html)

Mr Pants! 15 February 2005 03:16 PM

Boy these cars drink!!

This is not a what mpg thread, before you all get upset about it being dicussed before.

Well after a couple of fill ups, my '03 STI averages 18mpg!!!

Outragious....

I guess it has something to do with how far I press the throttle, but this is rediculous.

I have had some powerful motors before, but nothing that drinks like this baby!

Does PPP make it even worse?

hawkthescoobslayer 15 February 2005 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Pants!
18mpg!!!Outragious....

I guess it has something to do with how far I press the throttle, but this is rediculous.

ahh it takes me back to the heady days of double digit mpg figures :D

555wrx 15 February 2005 03:18 PM

Like you said, somthing to do with how far you press the throttle.
Ive just managed 150 miles on half a tank. Thats fuel tank and not fuel tanker!

scoobydooooo 15 February 2005 03:28 PM

yes , the throttle has a lot to answer for :)

Ubik 15 February 2005 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 555wrx
Like you said, somthing to do with how far you press the throttle.

Absolutely. Normally I do around 250-270 miles to a tank of Ultimate.

Two weeks ago I spent a day or two driving quickly with some friends. 100 miles to each tank of petrol. :norty:

Well it blew some cobwebs off the old girl.

Bugeye WRX MY01

New_scooby_04 15 February 2005 04:02 PM

[QUOTE=Mr Pants!]This is not a what mpg thread, before you all get upset about it being dicussed before.

QUOTE]

We warned you, Mr Pants :-) You play, you pay! :-) PPP would slightly imrpove fuel economy......EXCEPT you'll want to use the extra power, so you'll put your foot down more, meaning even worse MPG! Just get shares in Shell and accept it! :-)

SamUK 15 February 2005 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Pants!
This is not a what mpg thread, before you all get upset about it being dicussed before.

Outragious....

Does PPP make it even worse?

The more of a heavy foot you have.the more they will drink... :D

stevehulluk1 15 February 2005 04:05 PM

get about 180 to a tank full :cry:

V LTD sti type RA 15 February 2005 04:26 PM

160m to a fuel tank and it is getin expensive with optimax and octane booster as it goes in an every day car. oh well i didn't buy it for fuel consumption. as long as the fuel goes down you know it must be fast

ARM-Scooby 15 February 2005 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ubik
Absolutely. Normally I do around 250-270 miles to a tank of Ultimate.

Two weeks ago I spent a day or two driving quickly with some friends. 100 miles to each tank of petrol. :norty:

Well it blew some cobwebs off the old girl.

Bugeye WRX MY01

I had this last Sunday. Hadn't been out in the car for about 3-4 weeks, Sunday was a nice day so off i went into the sticks to find some deserted b roads out towards and managed to do a half a tank and only do 70 miles if that. Told a mate who just didnt believe me, why the hell would you want to show off about your car drinking fuel, lol!

Came home with a massive smile on my face though, first dry weather for my toyos so all good!

Catherine 15 February 2005 04:35 PM

Or get a Spec B Legacy and watch the fuel computer guage swing from left to right. It has a little red danger zone on it, so you know when your pressing that accelerator pedal a bit tooo much.

Mikkk 15 February 2005 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by V LTD sti type RA
160m to a fuel tank...

I'm assuming that is miles and not meters ;)
I fail to see what all the MPG fuss is about ... MPG on Scoobs is excellent IMHO, since getting the STi I've doubled my average irrespective of how I drive it over my previous tank :D
Some of these whingers 'n whiners just don't know how good they have it ;)

scoobyjohn2000 15 February 2005 06:29 PM

does the awd on the scooby take any blame for the poor mpg although it dosent really bother me what i get from a tank the smile is well worth it???

Kevin Groat 15 February 2005 06:42 PM

AWD has a lot to do with it - even my old L Series 1.6 estates only used to get high 20's. If you want to know how much the drivetrain has to do with the fuel consumption try phsyically pushing an Impreza compared to a front or read wheel drive car.

p.s. STI3 gets single figure consumption when pushing hard:eek:

Neils wrx 15 February 2005 06:50 PM

Petrol is a finite resource, my aim is to have more than my fair share before it runs out!!

Having a Scoob helps.....

stair 15 February 2005 07:10 PM

They have improved enormously over the years, used to get ~32mpg out of the 1.8GL (95my), get ~30 day to day in the new WRX, not bad I think. When suffering lead welly, well thats different.....

Stair