ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   In gear acceleration measuring..? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/403069-in-gear-acceleration-measuring.html)

jasonius 14 February 2005 11:38 AM

In gear acceleration measuring..?

Are through gear times performed with the car sitting at say 30mph then nailing (to 70) or are they timed whilst accelerating (sort of rolling start), if you know what I mean. Specifically I'm interested in 60- 100mph.

Jason

jasonius 15 February 2005 10:58 AM

anyone..? :cry:

Jiggerypokery 15 February 2005 11:18 AM

Which figures are you talking about? The Prodrive figures are achived by accelerating through the lower speed.

AvalancheS8 15 February 2005 11:19 AM

They will be extracted from full runs, so a run from 30 - 100+ in fourth would yield 30-50, 50-70, 70-90, 30-70 etc etc. The through the gears times will be extracted from the flat out acceleration runs. So with the GPS and laptop timing gear they have now, theoretically you only need to do one flat out standing start, through the gears to the red-line in each gear and then do a tick-over through to red-line run for each individual gear and that will give you enough info for all the acceration figures.

That means in practise of course that the time taken from 30-70 if you are rolling along at 30 and floor it will be a second or more slower by the time the car is fully onto boost. It's in situations like this that big normally aspirated cars will slaughter turbo cars in real world driving, even though there may be nothing in it on paper.

jasonius 18 February 2005 07:11 PM

Thanks AvalancheS8,

that's how I though they did the timing.

Jason

mark_my96 18 February 2005 08:20 PM

Actually the 30-70 mph is derived from the 0 to max speeed acceleration, if you check with 'Autocar' detailed road tests the 0-70 thru gears time is subtracted from the 0-30mph, this is always how 30-70 is determined and includes changing gear.

mark_my96 18 February 2005 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by AvalancheS8
They will be extracted from full runs, so a run from 30 - 100+ in fourth would yield 30-50, 50-70, 70-90, 30-70 etc etc. The through the gears times will be extracted from the flat out acceleration runs. So with the GPS and laptop timing gear they have now, theoretically you only need to do one flat out standing start, through the gears to the red-line in each gear and then do a tick-over through to red-line run for each individual gear and that will give you enough info for all the acceration figures.

That means in practise of course that the time taken from 30-70 if you are rolling along at 30 and floor it will be a second or more slower by the time the car is fully onto boost. It's in situations like this that big normally aspirated cars will slaughter turbo cars in real world driving, even though there may be nothing in it on paper.

sorry avalanche8 , i did not read you quote, my response agrees with your 1st para.