ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   House Electrical Advise Please (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/402961-house-electrical-advise-please.html)

Foxmod 13 February 2005 08:59 PM

House Electrical Advise Please

Can anyone help, I've replaced the lights in one of my bedrooms, and wanted to change the switch, I took the old one off and replaced it with a new one and found some interesting results. Firstly there are THREE RED wires goimg to the switch, two in in one side (same contact point) and one the other.

Take the first as wire ONE
Take the Second as Wire TWO
Take the thrid as Wire THREE.

Leaving the switch removed and all 3 unconnected means the light is OFF AS ARE ALL THE REST OF THE UPSTAIRS LIGHTS!

wire ONE and TWO together means the light in the room is ON (always) and I can switch the rest of the upstairs on and off
wire ONE and THREE together means the light in the room is ON (always) and I can switch the rest of the upstairs on and off
wire THREE and TWO together means all the lights are OFF, nothing switches ON

What have I done wrong ??

Any help is gratfully recieved

mj 13 February 2005 09:08 PM

Leaving the switch removed and all 3 unconnected means the light is OFF AS ARE ALL THE REST OF THE UPSTAIRS LIGHTS!

wire ONE and TWO together means the light in the room is ON (always) and I can switch the rest of the upstairs on and off
wire ONE and THREE together means the light in the room is ON (always) and I can switch the rest of the upstairs on and off
does not compute.

you need to get your wiring looked at.

richie rich 13 February 2005 09:37 PM

read through what you have just wrote!! have a think , walk away , get a cup of tea and it will come to you !!! the answer is within the question!...

Originally Posted by Foxmod
Can anyone help, I've replaced the lights in one of my bedrooms, and wanted to change the switch, I took the old one off and replaced it with a new one and found some interesting results. Firstly there are THREE RED wires goimg to the switch, two in in one side (same contact point) and one the other.

What have I done wrong ??

Any help is gratfully recieved

ajm 13 February 2005 09:50 PM

Wire it up in the new switch exactly the way you found it in the old switch!

Clearly the two wires that share one pole are what continues live on for the rest of the lights upstairs so they must remain sharing one pole of the switch (normally this occurs in the ceiling rose not the switch). The wire on its own goes to the bedroom light.

Harry_Boy 13 February 2005 09:53 PM

So, when you say you're putting wires 1&2, 2&3 and 1&3 together, you're obviously putting the remaining wire in the other contact point?

Harry_Boy 13 February 2005 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by ajm
Wire it up in the new switch exactly the way you found it in the old switch!

Clearly the two wires that share one pole are what continues live on for the rest of the lights upstairs so they must remain sharing one pole of the switch (normally this occurs in the ceiling rose not the switch). The wire on its own goes to the bedroom light.

I guess Foxmod forgot to make a note of how the original switch was wired up.... Been there before myself...

ajm 13 February 2005 10:00 PM

His test doesn't quite make sense though.

If you took turns connecting just two wires together (leave the remaining one) the three combinations should be:-

1) Bedroom light always on, rest of upstairs always off
2) Bedroom light always off, rest of upstairs works fine
3) Nothing works

Using these examples:
The common wire used in both 1) and 2) is your Live
The other wire used in 1) is to the bedroom light
The remaining wire continues power to the rest of upstairs

You need to do it two wires at a time because if you connect the remaining wire to the other side of the switch then depending whether the switch is on or off will affect the result!

Foxmod 26 February 2005 11:41 PM

thanks all for the replies, cracked it today, .....:)

Wire 1 was the always on live feed
Wire 3 was the one leading to the bedroom light
Wire 2 was the lead to the rest of the upstairs...........but was connected to Wire 1 and 3 in the light fitting I put up earlier :eek:

The Answer :-

Wire 1 and 2 together on one side of the switch with Wire 3 the onther side.
Wire 3 to the light fitting
Other 2 wire in the fitting join together :)

Only took 2 hours today and the use of my PC Based DMM ;)