ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   i cant be bothered to use capitals on forums anymore. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/402706-i-cant-be-bothered-to-use-capitals-on-forums-anymore.html)

paulr 12 February 2005 06:49 PM

i cant be bothered to use capitals on forums anymore.

does it really matter,or is it still bad grammer?

milo 12 February 2005 06:51 PM

lazy b@stard ;) :D

pslewis 12 February 2005 06:51 PM

YES IT DOES MATTER!!!

PETE

brezhnev 12 February 2005 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by paulr

That's "grammar," you sap. :D

paulr 12 February 2005 07:56 PM

you dont say.....

:D

ajm 12 February 2005 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by paulr

Speak to Telboy about the virtues of non-capitalised, first person pronouns! ;)

GM 12 February 2005 08:27 PM

It shows a lack of respect for the people who will be reading it.

Daryl 12 February 2005 08:38 PM

True, but not many people seem to show any, they're too full of their own self-importance :(

gljam 12 February 2005 08:51 PM

yep, seriously can't be arsed, even my user name doesn't have the capitals it should. oh well what can you do? :D

mj 12 February 2005 09:07 PM

I won't loose any sleep over it if you drop capitals, but to the more intelligent members like myself, it's possible that your postings might come across as crass,coarse, and possibly verging on the downright vulgar :razz: .

Do what you want, it's your keyboard http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/images/icons/icon3.gif

Abdabz 13 February 2005 10:25 AM

ItS JuSt LAzy NOT using CapITALs ImO :D

DocJock 13 February 2005 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mj
I won't loose any sleep over it if you drop capitals, but to the more intelligent members like myself, it's possible that your postings might come across as crass,coarse, and possibly verging on the downright vulgar :razz: .

Do what you want, it's your keyboard http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/images/icons/icon3.gif

:D

ALi-B 13 February 2005 10:58 AM

the problem is readability is the whole point of using grammer if you do not use it the who prargraph become one massive sentence and becomes increasingly difficult to read especially if teh topic is of complex dicussion or lengthy it also allow one to make more emphasis on teh important points of your discussion without it the important points maybe completly lost it is also very likely your post will never get read properly or missunderstood or at worst not read at all there are lots of users here who do not bopther reading a whole post and undertand it meaning and then make a post repeating exactly was the original postee wrote or basically telling them to suck eggs which takes the thread no where especially when the originator has a problem which they would like to be sorted such as in the technical forums the exact same argument soes with text type talk like you would on a mobile phone or excessive use of slang it affect the readability of the thread the origniator may not be taken seriously and would mostly be thought of being a chav or of somebody of a similar low order in the human species using correct grammer and spelling is also good practice as it becomes a habit a good habit at that if you do not bother with your grammer and spelling then it will become a bad habit and it will transfer to far more important written correspondence such as formal letters its not a case of getting ever full stop capital comma and spelling one hundred percent correct but it helps with overall flow of the text i hope this post help with explaining my point

:):D

Leslie 13 February 2005 01:40 PM

GrammAr is important.

Les :)

tiggers 13 February 2005 03:02 PM

Funny isn't it? So many posts on SN NSR complain of dumbing down and sinking to the lowest common denominator (usually connected to bashing TB and NL along the way of course). Surely lazy grammar is just another example of exactly that.

tiggers.

Hammy Hamster 13 February 2005 03:53 PM

If you choose to communicate via a written medium (e.g. an online motoring forum), then yes, it is important to write using the correct grammar, otherwise the point you're trying to make may be misunderstood.

If you are communicating orally, then the capital letters may be omitted. :D

Jamie 13 February 2005 04:10 PM

What was the question ?

dsmith 13 February 2005 05:07 PM

Sadly, I suspect some that do it would have little idea of the number of grammer rules they ignore, even beyond the capitalisation.

But I suspect they believe God doesn't care about Grammar.....

paulr 13 February 2005 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
the problem is readability is the whole point of using grammer if you do not use it the who prargraph become one massive sentence and becomes increasingly difficult to read especially if teh topic is of complex dicussion or lengthy it also allow one to make more emphasis on teh important points of your discussion without it the important points maybe completly lost it is also very likely your post will never get read properly or missunderstood or at worst not read at all there are lots of users here who do not bopther reading a whole post and undertand it meaning and then make a post repeating exactly was the original postee wrote or basically telling them to suck eggs which takes the thread no where especially when the originator has a problem which they would like to be sorted such as in the technical forums the exact same argument soes with text type talk like you would on a mobile phone or excessive use of slang it affect the readability of the thread the origniator may not be taken seriously and would mostly be thought of being a chav or of somebody of a similar low order in the human species using correct grammer and spelling is also good practice as it becomes a habit a good habit at that if you do not bother with your grammer and spelling then it will become a bad habit and it will transfer to far more important written correspondence such as formal letters its not a case of getting ever full stop capital comma and spelling one hundred percent correct but it helps with overall flow of the text i hope this post help with explaining my point

:):D

Ha-Ha....:D

I will try better in future then.

TelBoy 14 February 2005 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ajm
Speak to Telboy about the virtues of non-capitalised, first person pronouns! ;)

:thumb:

Good to see the "yes" vote has a comfortable lead. :)