ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   PS2 question (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/402439-ps2-question.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 11 February 2005 04:52 PM

PS2 question

My PS2 is chipped so should it be able to play US original games? I have a $50 amazon.com voucher that doesn't look like it can be spent on amazon.co.uk so want to buy GT4 for $49 and get it shipped to my office over there then shipped to me here, its out on Feb 22nd :norty: :D No point buying it though if it wont work, im sure it will being chipped but thought i'd better check!

Underwriter 11 February 2005 06:37 PM

if your ps2 is chipped ? why are you buying a new ps2 game ? get a backup and buy a book ;)

DJ Dunk 11 February 2005 06:57 PM

If its chipped then it should play imports fine. After all, thats what they're for, right ? ;)

S.B. 11 February 2005 07:53 PM

Good game though :)
Well japanese version is :D

Bravo2zero_sps 11 February 2005 08:07 PM

Well got the other 3 originals so might as well get the 4th and its free if I use my voucher and cheaper than the UK version at $49 :D Otherwise i'd have to find something else to buy for $50 and get shipped from work.

messiah 14 February 2005 11:49 AM

There's lots of rumours going about that chipped PS2's won't play GT4, due to the chip not being able to read the dual-layer dvd games that are now appearing (GT4 being the first I think)

I looked into this as I fancied an import version of GT4, but the only chip guaranteed to work with GT4 was £80, so it was gonna be more worthwhile buying a slimline jap PS2 instead...

...I decided to just wait until March 9th until PAL version is launched...

Bravo2zero_sps 14 February 2005 12:23 PM

Thats not good news! So if I buy a US orginal version of GT4 it is unlikely to play on my chipped UK PS2?

Pongo555 14 February 2005 12:36 PM

So if you get your PS2 chipped it will NOT play an original PAL version of GT4 was gonna get mine chipped this week maybe not is the true ?

Pongo555

ali_j 14 February 2005 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by messiah
There's lots of rumours going about that chipped PS2's won't play GT4, due to the chip not being able to read the dual-layer dvd games that are now appearing (GT4 being the first I think)

I looked into this as I fancied an import version of GT4, but the only chip guaranteed to work with GT4 was £80, so it was gonna be more worthwhile buying a slimline jap PS2 instead...

...I decided to just wait until March 9th until PAL version is launched...

i think you got it wrong. a copied game won't play, an original should as the ps2 has the same hardware as a u.s console.

i think you are referring to dvd9 discs which are playable but only whith the newest chips. They do release new ways to stops chips and it is the gran truismo games that do it first, so do some research before buying.

DJ Dunk 14 February 2005 01:35 PM

The problem is with copies of the DVD9 game. It should work fine.

messiah 14 February 2005 01:56 PM

I did a bit of research on gtplanet.net when I was considering getting mine chipped. There had been instances in Japan where some modified PS2's wouldn't run GT4, even though it was a Jap PS2 playing a Jap disc. The latest chips should be OK.

mbc 14 February 2005 03:56 PM

if its chipped (your ps2) then get a copy(of gt4) then back it up with a patch then it will work fine

DJ Dunk 14 February 2005 04:07 PM

Er . . . yeah . . . simple as that :rolleyes:

Show me a working DVD-R backup of GT4 and I'll show you my third testicle.

ex-webby 14 February 2005 05:41 PM

lol @ DJ Junk! :D

An original game will work fine..... mine is modded and plays the Jap GT4 fine.

The problem is that the PS2 (and I think it's a laser problem) will not read a dual layer DVD+R disk.

Regards,
Shaun.

DJ Dunk 14 February 2005 05:46 PM

Its 'Dunk' . . . plebmaster ;)

messiah 15 February 2005 10:02 AM

LOL :D

So is it dependant on how old your PS2 is?

mbc 15 February 2005 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Dunk
Er . . . yeah . . . simple as that :rolleyes:

Show me a working DVD-R backup of GT4 and I'll show you my third testicle.

:notworthy

Bravo2zero_sps 15 February 2005 04:10 PM

Well i've ordered the US version so will see if it works - roll on Feb 22nd :D