ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Suspension (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/)
-   -   Aluminium wishbones - better? (https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension-12/402036-aluminium-wishbones-better.html)

JusH 10 February 2005 09:13 AM

Aluminium wishbones - better?

Anybody fitted aluminium wishbones in place of standard on UK turbo 2000 or the like and notice any improvement?

Welloilbeefhooked 10 February 2005 10:38 AM

I think the main difference is weight. As for handling my MY98 WRX (with ally arms) seems no different to one with steel arms.

FerryScoob 19 February 2005 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by JusH
Anybody fitted aluminium wishbones in place of standard on UK turbo 2000 or the like and notice any improvement?

Are the alloy one's a direct swap for the steel and vice-versa?

barry.

StickyMicky 19 February 2005 05:26 PM

you will need to change your drop links if you swap them (i belive)

Engineer@Uni 20 February 2005 06:38 PM

Alloy wishbones will partially reduce your unsprung weight. Effectively it will feel like your springs are harder and thus the wheel will travel up and down slightly faster. An upgrade worthy of praise!

AndrewC 20 February 2005 07:06 PM

Do a search on 22B - Richard Dowsett (Dowser) did this and was very pleased IIRC.

Andrew...

Tone Loc 20 February 2005 08:14 PM

Didn't somebody (JohnF????) measure the weight of the ali ones and find the were the same as the steel versions. They are not the same to look at visually and the benefit being they are stronger rather than weight saving.

Tony.

jim litten 20 February 2005 08:39 PM

Yep the ally ones are the same weight as the steel sets, as you need more material to get similar stiffness out of ally

Barmyclown 20 February 2005 09:09 PM

It will be interesting to see how long they last aswell, as aluminium fatigues quicker than steel aswell.

Tone Loc 20 February 2005 09:19 PM

Mine have lasted 12 years without issue so far :D

Tony.

chrisgr 13 August 2005 03:11 PM

is there any pics of these?

Floyd 16 August 2005 12:59 PM

So if they are indeed the same weight then how can there be an improvement on unsprug weight as Dowser reported :confused:

F

DuncanG 16 August 2005 01:37 PM

Dowser actually reported that they were the same weight, but they felt tighter in performance. Differences: ally arms have stiffer bushes, ball-joint drop links and maybe the arm is stiffer too but I doubt thats really significant when you're using flexible bushes.

I've recently changed the front inner bush on my steel arms from the standard rubber to a Powerflex (I'd prefer hardened rubber but the p'flex are easier to fit) and noticed slightly better steering response.

AndrewC 16 August 2005 03:38 PM

Duncan,

Did you deliberately only change that 1 location or did it need replacing anyway?

Andrew...

DuncanG 16 August 2005 04:24 PM

Deliberate, there's not many bushes at the front anyway. The front bush is in direct line (near enough) with any lateral load so it seemed a good candidate for change. Previously I'd changed the rear bush for an ALK but after maintenance and rattling issues with that I've gone back to the oem rubber bush (with the anti-dive geometry).

I should say that I've also previously replaced the oem top-mount with a K-mac camber/castor adjustable one with urethane bushing. I have to confess I don't really feel the change in castor, but then I'm still only at 4deg with the top-mount maxed.

jaygsi 30 June 2016 04:37 PM

Well this is a depressing read.