ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Knocklink Activity??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/400472-knocklink-activity.html)

Scoobydrive 04 February 2005 03:48 PM

Knocklink Activity???

Just wondering is this normal activity. The car is a version 2 sti ra and standard apart form back box. Its being ran on sul and NF octane booster. It has only done about 10 miles driving in the last 4 months as I have just recently imported it form Japan. Today was the first time I have given it a decent drive.
The car drives beautifully and while driving up to 3000rpm there is no activity at all. Considering its an sti ra, in 5th gear at 60mph you are doing over 35000rpm.
When in 5th and I just go over 3000rpm the first green light starts to flicker and then goes out again but if I go off boost it flickers again as I come slightly down the revs. Sometimes at about 3500 rpm when in 5th the first green light stays on(bright) for a while and then goes back to the dim greem.

When I go higher above this rev range there isnt much more activity only maybe an odd brief moment of the second green. I have a scoobyecu nearly ready for it anyway but just wanted to check to be sure as my last car was an impreza turbo and fueling and det wasnt a problem and the jap specs are new to me..
Thanks.

RICH WILD 04 February 2005 04:37 PM

Greens are not a problem and quite normal under load.

Ambers and reds are when you have to be careful.

Rokay 04 February 2005 06:26 PM

If your car has done little mileage in the past 4 mths it may well be that the fuel has just deteriorated a bit. You may well have just filled up with a bad batch of fuel although i think if that was the case your a bit unlucky.
I think if i where you i'd run a few good tank fulls of decent fuel say Optimax plus a decent booster and just see how it goes. Flushing all the fuel lines through with fresh fuel may just do the trick.

I have an STi version2 and i find in normal motoring i get no greens at all. As i start to put down a little power i might get a flicker of the 1st green occasionally the 2nd. I have had the orange spike up once or twice but this was because i really was pushing it at the time. I have little concern for KL activity such as this. Get a red spike then this is to be taken a little more seriously.

A clicky for you. May well explan a little more about detonation how it's caused and the cures.

Ken S55 04 February 2005 09:27 PM

I have an sti4 and get the same sort of activity on my knocklink. Has been like that since it was fitted nearly 2 years ago. Only performance mods are decat exhaust and green panel filter.

Always run on Optimax and around 1ml per litre of NF. Have tried more booster but doesn't seem to make much difference, just fouls the plugs more !

morpheous 04 February 2005 09:32 PM

Have got the same activity around those revs since doing resonator mod,Nothing to be concerned about :)

Originally Posted by Ken S55
I have an sti4 and get the same sort of activity on my knocklink. Has been like that since it was fitted nearly 2 years ago. Only performance mods are decat exhaust and green panel filter.

Always run on Optimax and around 1ml per litre of NF. Have tried more booster but doesn't seem to make much difference, just fouls the plugs more !

Nick_o_Teen 04 February 2005 09:45 PM

I have a 1995 sti ra V2 that lights up the f**king red all the time, just in the process of buying an uprated fuel pump and pres reg as recommended by a couple of chaps on here, yours sounds spot on to me mate.

Roojai 04 February 2005 11:01 PM

Sounds like nothing to worry about. If you're getting the scoobyecu then that will fix 'jap import fueling problems' if there are any.

Scoobydrive 04 February 2005 11:48 PM

Thanks lads for all the advise, just wanted someone else to confirm it. The knocklinks are the best money you will ever spend on your scoob.