ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Security (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/)
-   -   What alarm? (https://www.scoobynet.com/security-16/400136-what-alarm.html)

V4JDMSTi 03 February 2005 01:55 PM

What alarm?

I pick my scooby up tomorrow night. it's taken me a while to find the one i wanted so i want to hang onto it.

so which alarm should i get?

i got a price for the clifford concept 650 of £599.

plus does anyone know of a good place that does nationwide mobile fitting or somewhere in the essex area that won't charge an arm and a leg?

Thanks,

Matt.

ProdriveSTI 03 February 2005 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=mneame]so which alarm should i get?

QUOTE]

Cannot go wrong with a clifford......

V4JDMSTi 03 February 2005 02:40 PM

a lot of money though. i was looking at getting a traker as well but can't afford both. the tracker was another £549.

any views on toad alarms? had a couple before and them seemed ok.

ProdriveSTI 03 February 2005 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by mneame
a lot of money though. i was looking at getting a traker as well but can't afford both. the tracker was another £549.

any views on toad alarms? had a couple before and them seemed ok.

you only get what you pay for.....
Cliffords are one of the best.... - you pays your money etc....

teknobod 03 February 2005 02:54 PM

I pick my scooby up tomorrow night. it's taken me a while to find the one i wanted so i want to hang onto it.

plus does anyone know of a good place that does nationwide mobile fitting or somewhere in the essex area that won't charge an arm and a leg?

Thanks,

Matt.

Not that I condone reading such "magazines"(??) as "Lax Power" etc but there are usually a number of retailers who offer nationwide fitting advertising in their pages and probably cheaper prices to.

However, I would rather my Clifford be fitted in a dealer's workshop than "at the side of the road" as most problems with Clifford stem from poor installation, and to be fitted correctly there may be a significant number of interior parts removed!!

Andy

Jamo 03 February 2005 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=ProdriveSTI]

QUOTE]

Cannot go wrong with a clifford......

ive got this alarm its brilliant, with built in turbo timer, i paid £400 fitted though :confused:

V4JDMSTi 03 February 2005 02:58 PM

the price i got was from gap security who i've heard are pretty good. anyone used them?

as you say teknobod "cheap add on bits power" may be worth a look. can i really bring myself to pay the £4 odd on a copy though?

V4JDMSTi 03 February 2005 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by j4mou
ive got this alarm its brilliant, with built in turbo timer, i paid £400 fitted though :confused:

who did you get it through?

Adam M 03 February 2005 02:59 PM

stick with a sigma M30. They are standard fit because they don't go wrong. Thatcham approved with plenty of features.

I have had way too many cliffords now to risk getting another. great gimmicks but not so reliable.

teknobod 03 February 2005 03:08 PM

£350 here:-

http://www.sextons.co.uk/car_audio_c...8233&cat=79953

Only Clifford I ever had problems with was my first Concept 50. I've had them on my last 5 cars with no problems at all. Like I said most problems are caused by poor installation. The reason they cost so much is to allow sufficient time for the installer to fit it correctly, but too many people see it as an easy buck to fit it in half the time.

Sigma had lots of problems in the past with their alarms which put me off fitting them!

Although any alarm not fitted correctly could potentially cause problems.

Andy

V4JDMSTi 03 February 2005 03:13 PM

don't really know much about sigma. i think that may be what my mate has on his e30 m3 tied with a tracker. has a mercury level sensor as well. cost him a good few quid as well. about £1k all in with the tracker.

i've got a sextons near me. well it's changed to pulse but i think they are one and the same. i'll have a look.

teknobod 03 February 2005 03:22 PM

don't really know much about sigma. i think that may be what my mate has on his e30 m3 tied with a tracker. has a mercury level sensor as well. cost him a good few quid as well. about £1k all in with the tracker.

i've got a sextons near me. well it's changed to pulse but i think they are one and the same. i'll have a look.

If you're wanting a tilt sensor get the Clifford tilt/motion sensor as its electronic and works very well. I had one fitted to both my BMW M3 and Audi S4 and they work exceptionally well. The problem with the mercury switch type is the viscosity changes with temperature, so in summer the wind sets them off and in winter they have to be turned upside down to work (well not quite, but you now what I'm getting at!!!)

Andy

V4JDMSTi 03 February 2005 03:43 PM

i get ya.

clifford 650 with sextons, only available if fitted in one of their workshops and is £350 fitted at the moment. starting to look better!!

bgood 03 February 2005 07:25 PM

Sorry don't mean to hijack your thread mneame but has anybody got any views on Cobra alarms??

Sigma Sam 03 February 2005 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by teknobod
£350 here:-

http://www.sextons.co.uk/car_audio_c...8233&cat=79953

Only Clifford I ever had problems with was my first Concept 50. I've had them on my last 5 cars with no problems at all. Like I said most problems are caused by poor installation. The reason they cost so much is to allow sufficient time for the installer to fit it correctly, but too many people see it as an easy buck to fit it in half the time.

Sigma had lots of problems in the past with their alarms which put me off fitting them!

Although any alarm not fitted correctly could potentially cause problems.

Andy

The majority of problems are a result of poor installation, as with any security product. I think you will find that, when fitted and adjusted correctly, the Sigma products themselves are amongst the most reliable on the market - hence there approval for standard fitment on a number of marques.....including Subaru.
ss

Bing_2004 03 February 2005 08:55 PM

I had a Clifford Thatcham cat 1 alarm on my previous car and had no problems apart from false alarms. Used to get about 1 a fortnight.

My scoob came with a toad alarm (again thatcham 1) and that has been excellent. It has pretty much the same features but haven't had a single false alarm in the 7 months I've owned the car.
Alarm did go off when my passenger window was broken in a public car park.... the alarm must have scared them away because they didn't get anything.

wwp8 03 February 2005 09:51 PM

my last 2 cars has the toad Ai606
they were ok,NOT very flash though i must admit
i suppose at the end of the day it does it's job "thatcham 1"

only problem i ever had was about 2 years ago, it wouldn't arm/disarm.
the fitter said there maybe strong frequencies around so it won't work, (anti-code grabber??)

-------------------------------------------------
have you clicked today
http://www.herowar.com/recruit.phtml?id=12279 :D

V4JDMSTi 03 February 2005 10:24 PM

cheers guys for all the advice. making it hard to choose though. it could end up being a case of price over flashness!!

teknobod 03 February 2005 10:45 PM

Just remember, you get what you pay for, but if your after an alarm on a budget stick with the major manufacturers - Laserline, Toad, Meta, Sigma.

Andy

V4JDMSTi 09 February 2005 11:25 AM

hi,

got my alarm sorted out yesterday. went with the toad in the end, cat 1 and added a tilt and motion sensor on for a bit of extra security.

so far really please with it. it makes plenty of noise but doesn't go off as soon as someone farts near it.

stevehulluk1 09 February 2005 11:31 AM

just paid £450 for the toad ai606 with all the gadgets, keeps the thieving fookers away. bleeps like crazy if your stood near it. threw the sigma m30 in the bin that was in the car

MotorGuard 09 February 2005 02:12 PM

We at MotorGuard can do you the Concept 650 for £350 supplied and fitted and we throw a turbo timer in for free. Give us a call on 0121 359 1617 if you have any queries or email us on enquiries@motorguarduk.co.uk