ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Ecutec ECU licence (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/399746-ecutec-ecu-licence.html)

jmc1968 02 February 2005 08:15 AM

Ecutec ECU licence

One of my mates recentley had his 02 STI remapped.
He was telling me how great the cars response was, bla bla bla.
To cut a long story short, the guy who mapped the car did not give him the licence, I believe it was a tek 3 as it cost £700 ( don't know if this makes a difference}.
He informed my mate that he keeps the licence, guess this is one ay of getting his buisness the next time he needs his car mapped.

Is the guy talking B.S.

Bob Rawle 02 February 2005 10:32 PM

The licenece is in the ecu, so your mate can now go to any EcuTek tuner and they can access the ecu without having to use one, they cannot see what has already been loaded in but they can load up their own maps. So whomever advised that either doesn't know what they are on about or is pulling a fast one.

cheers

bob

jmc1968 03 February 2005 08:09 AM

Cheers Bob

mutant_matt 04 February 2005 11:53 AM

Bob,

So for a different mapper to "tweak" somebody else's map, they would effectively have to start again from one of their own "base" maps?

Matt :)

Conrad@the Racing line 04 February 2005 12:05 PM

That is correct Matt, we cannot read the map previously installed in the ECU so if it goes to some other ECUTEK mapper other than the original one it is indeed a "start from fresh" ;)

p1doc 04 February 2005 02:06 PM

so if you are happy with mapper and want more power you would go back anyway unless the map was cr*p
martin

tweenierob 04 February 2005 08:58 PM

Conrad, You can Plug Better than that mate!

Rob ;)

Bob Rawle 04 February 2005 09:42 PM

He sure can !!!! Matt yes thats correct, thats why the charges are scaled that way and why we charge a relatively low amount for a map adjustment if an existing customer comes back, I do know what I put in the ecu's. (unashamed plug to compete with Conrad)

bob

Andy.F 05 February 2005 12:35 AM

Is this a free for all advert :D

Conrad....you eventually found someone to do it for you then ;)

Andy

DPat 05 February 2005 04:58 PM

Bob (R)
I understood that the original ECUTEK licence cost £~300 and that is specific to the ECU.
Then the mapper's dark art costs £400, so if a map has been done once and then you want the best from BR, that would cost £~400
Additional tweeks are then available from whoever did the last map

Is this correct?

DPat

Bob Rawle 05 February 2005 07:41 PM

It costs 650 plus vat as recommended by EcuTek for the start from scratch remap no licence and 350 plus vat for a remap if there is a licence, you can work out whatever from that. Other tuners will probably have their own charge scales as they should. As you should be aware various discounts become available for multiple vehicles.

Lol Andy at least we shouldn't get our wrists slapped for advertising.

cheers all

bob

mutant_matt 05 February 2005 09:27 PM

I see. So if you were to get a poor/low quality mapper map your car and wanted to go elsewhere, it would get quite expensive!! ;)

Ta,

Andy.F 06 February 2005 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by mutant_matt
I see. So if you were to get a poor/low quality mapper map your car and wanted to go elsewhere, it would get quite expensive!! ;)

Ta,

Matt, I think you will find EcuTeK go to quite some lengths to ensure their software doesn't fall into the hands of anyone likely to tarnish the products reputation !

lol Bob, not since JohnF left anyway ;)

Andy

David_Wallis 06 February 2005 05:50 PM

dont you mean JohnB ??

Andy.F 06 February 2005 10:02 PM

No...lol, I was replying to Bobs comment about getting wrists slapped for advertising :D JohnF used to be pretty hot on that ;)

Andy

Conrad@the Racing line 07 February 2005 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Andy.F
Is this a free for all advert :D

Conrad....you eventually found someone to do it for you then ;)

Andy

Sorry Andy, No it isnt, Bob qualifies because he is already paying :p

As for...

you eventually found someone to do it for you then ;)
We do in fact need a second person but as of yet no we havent ;)