ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Mapping Windows servers in a Novell login script (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/399296-mapping-windows-servers-in-a-novell-login-script.html)

darlodge 31 January 2005 03:18 PM

Mapping Windows servers in a Novell login script

Has anyone done it?

We need to add 2 of our Windows 2003 Servers into our Novell Login script (stop gap until AD is implemented).

We have tried using the Novell login script using the Net use command but it fails.

We have also tried a Windows Login script via a group policy but just to complicate things, we want to login script to map with a particular user account. i.e. all 3 people log in but they all authenticate to the server as user1.

HELP!!!!

Darren

ozzy 31 January 2005 03:34 PM

Have you tried just using the MAP command with a UNC path??

MAP G:=\\servername\sharename\directoryname

It's be years since I've worked on NetWare, but it worked fine in the past. I assume you're using a Client32 machine.

Stefan

David_Wallis 31 January 2005 03:50 PM

as said map will map unc paths..

and \\servername\sharename works;)

Unsure whether you can map to a directory with NT /2k3 though.

ozzy 31 January 2005 04:05 PM

you passed the test David :hjtwofing ;)

darlodge 01 February 2005 08:43 AM

Thanks for your help guys but it don't work :(

If you try adding either or your suggestions into our Novell Login script you receive an error.

I've also followed this TID from Novell with no luck. I think the reason is because we don't have a domain with active accounts in yet which is causing problems authenticating, well in short, it doesn't!! Error code is 3456 (see here

I'm currently looking at any other option. We have already tried batch files that run at login via Local GP but it will not store the password.

Darren

David_Wallis 01 February 2005 01:47 PM

Are you logging into the domain as well?

Login using novell / NDS as normal.

Run a cmd prompt and can you do the net use * \\servername\sharename

Navigate to the drive assigned, and type dir, does it work???

David

ozzy 01 February 2005 03:48 PM

You'll need to be authenticated to the server and share you're trying to MAP a drive to. Logging into the NDS Tree won't be enough unless you're using something like NDS for NT (or whatever it's called these days) and the NT box is part of NDS.

If you've just logged onto NDS, then it will pass the local NT username/password to the remote server for authentication.

Are these two 2003 servers just in a workgroup?

You could use the NET USE command with the /USER:domain\user password command from the login script (syntax in that TID).

e.g. NET USE G: \\server1\share1 /USER:server1\user1 letmein

server1 is the local servername containing the local user account user1. That's assuming you've no existing domain or AD to do global authentication.

Stefan

darlodge 02 February 2005 08:02 AM

David, we don't actually have a domain in place so I'm authenticating to the server directly.

After many hours I game up with trying to get the Novell Login script to include the drive mapping to our NT servers, so I created a batch file that a user will click on when they want to launch their program (Dolphin).

Contents of bat file:
@echo off
REM Net use j: /delete
excho Please wait whilst Dolphin loads
net use j: \\SERVER\SHARE\ Password /user:SERVER\User
START c:\dolphin\dolphin.exe

This will then delete any drive mapping they have on J:\, then reconnect a network drive and then launch the program, Simple :D

Another thing I need to add is a shutdown policy to disconnect the network drive. If I do not do this, when a user logged restarts and logs back in again, the drive mapping would try and re-connect, thus prompting for a password. I want the whole process to be seamless.

Whilst we are on topic of login scripts, what do you guys write yours in. I know you David have 1000's of users, so I’d guess you have probably invested a lot more time (and money) then we can.

Cheers guys
Dazza

Stueyb 02 February 2005 09:17 AM

what the bloody hell is dolphin.exe ? Used to design kitchens ? :D

ozzy 02 February 2005 10:05 AM

if you use the NET USE command with the /PERSISTENT:NO switch then the workstation won't remember the previous mapping.

You could also remove the remark from the NET USE j: /delete statement.

I've used Kickstart in the past for designing login scripts.

Stefan

darlodge 02 February 2005 11:24 AM

Stefan you beauty. Thats the delete statment and the log off statment removed :D

Nice one, cheers bud.

Also Dolphin is a secret program ;) :D

Darren

ozzy 02 February 2005 11:27 AM

training Dolphins to deliver anti-shipping mines ;):D

glad it's sorted.

David_Wallis 02 February 2005 03:52 PM

We use Kix 4.23

why not set the share up so you dont need to authenticate (null session share)

A batch file is a poor way of doing it!

One section I wrote out of ours :D

Code:

; Configure User Info for MSOffice

$strFullNameHex = ""
$intLen = Len(@FullName)
If InStr(@FullName,",") > 0
        ? "Configuring User Information for MS Office"
        $intPos = InStr(@FullName,",") + 2
        :_StartLoop
        $intDone = $intDone + 1
        While $intPos < $intLen + 1
                $strFullNameHex = $strFullNameHex + DecToHex(Asc(SubStr(@FullName,$intPos,1))) + "00"
                $intPos = $intPos + 1
        Loop
        If $intDone = 1
                $intPos = 1
                $intLen = InStr(@FullName,",") - 1
                $strFullNameHex = $strFullNameHex + "2000"
                GoTo _StartLoop
        EndIf
        If Len(@USERID) = 7
                $intInitCount = 3
        Else
                $intInitCount = 2
        EndIf
        $intInitPos = 1
        $strInitHex = ""
        While $intInitPos < $intInitCount + 1
                $strInitHex = $strInitHex + DecToHex(Asc(SubStr(@USERID,$intInitPos,1))) + "00"
                $intInitPos = $intInitPos + 1
        Loop
        $intDummy = WriteValue ("HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Common\UserInfo","UserName",$strFullNameHex + "0000","REG_BINARY")
        $intDummy = WriteValue ("HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Common\UserInfo","UserInitials",$strInitHex + "0000","REG_BINARY")
EndIf