ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Womans face appearing on screen - weird (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/398958-womans-face-appearing-on-screen-weird.html)

druddle 30 January 2005 11:49 AM

Womans face appearing on screen - weird

Hello

I run Win XP SP2 on my home PC. In the last few days, every now and then a full screen black and white picture of a womans face appears very quickly and there is a short screaming noise, then it disappears.

I updated and ran full checks with Spybot and NAV and it was all clear.

Does anyone know abything about what this might be ? Had a scan of C:\Windows\System and System32 but couldnt see any suspicious .exes. Dont want to do any online banking or shopping until i get to the bottom of this. Reinstall is a last resort.......

Dave

HHxx 30 January 2005 12:18 PM

Lmao. Need that at work to keep me awake :D

What processes are running?

MJW 30 January 2005 12:46 PM

Go to Start -- > Run and type msconfig. Click on the startup tab and see if there's any strange applications which start on boot. If there's any you don't recognise, uncheck them and reboot. If you accidentally switch off an important app. you can always switch it back on again. It might be a good idea to disable System Restore as well to prevent the program from re-instating itself. Right-click My Computer, select Properties and go to the System Restore tab to switch it off.
Also as said above, check there's no strange processes running by pressing ctrl-alt and delete to bring up task manager. Click on the processes tab and shut down anything suspicious.

stevencotton 30 January 2005 01:24 PM

Did you ever take any pills back in the late eighties? Do you get these "flashes" elsewhere? ;) :D

druddle 30 January 2005 08:33 PM

Steve - you are twisting my melon man. Flashback.............

Funny thing is it also happens the same time every hour....

Dave

StickyMicky 30 January 2005 08:40 PM

is it still scarey each time?

Neil Smalley 30 January 2005 08:41 PM

You did'nt watch a video with a well, some horses and a red tree on did you?
Did the phone ring a few minutes afterwards?

druddle 30 January 2005 08:58 PM

Yeah i have lostg count of the amount of times i have soiled myself.

Had a look at processes and i have 2 unusual ones running - " wowexec.exe" and " wowdeb.exe". They seem to be some sort of Windows on Windows runtime environment for 16 bit applications. This might be something to do with it. Google seems to hint at malware.

druddle 30 January 2005 08:59 PM

P.S. scanned registry for those processes and nothing....

p@ul 30 January 2005 09:21 PM

I know the thing your on about,i got it in an email once off a friend as a joke ,ive also seen it on a site somewhere like goregasm i think,scares the ****e outta you the first few times lol.cant for the life of me remember what its called though sorry :(

lightning101 30 January 2005 11:44 PM

If you delete the file, seven days later you will buy an apple mac ;)

DrEvil 31 January 2005 09:48 AM

PMSL :D