ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Cost of adsl? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/398620-cost-of-adsl.html)

ProperCharlie 28 January 2005 08:00 PM

Cost of adsl?

We currently pay £300+ VAT per year, per line, for 0.5 Mb adsl for various locations for business purposes (such as my house :)). It's unlimited and has been tolerably reliable - but I have seen it advertised cheaper. Also, we have to pay the cost of rental of BT line at each location. I just checked out what BT themselves are charging and their cheapest package is £18 per month but limited to 1 Gb/month.

Does anyone know if I can get cheaper than we currently pay? we have five 0.5 Mb lines (and 1x 1 Mb at the main office, which is broken at the moment. ISP's response: we are still waiting for a response from BT. It is a line fault. We can't do anything about it. :rolleyes: )

Cheers.

:)

carl 28 January 2005 08:29 PM

I'm sure you can get it cheaper, but in your position I'd be paying for some sort of "business service" with a guaranteed SLA.

ProperCharlie 28 January 2005 09:05 PM

Hi Carl - The service I have at the office is a business service, however they don't seem to recognise any commitment to keeping us on line. I had a situation a couple of weeks back were the router kept overheating and switching off. Initially their reply was "let it cool down for a bit". When I explained that this wasn't good enough, they raised a fault with BT. 3 days later a BT engineer came out, at which time the router happened to be working. He said he couldn't do anything as there was no fault. I said that the router was obviously on the way out so he better replace it. No can do. He went away. 2 days later the router blew up :rolleyes: . Two days later a different BT guy comes out and replaces it. A few days after that we lose our connection. The only reason I haven't gone ballistic at them is cos it has worked more or less faultlessly for the last 4 years.

btw - just got the Peugeot back on the road; had a minor fuel pipe eruption :eek:. Luckily I found a really good independent mechanic, so it's still cheap as chips. 110,000 miles and counting. :)

carl 28 January 2005 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
110,000 miles and counting. :)

:eek:
That car really was a good find, wasn't it?

ProperCharlie 28 January 2005 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by carl
:eek:
That car really was a good find, wasn't it?

It's still green, though :p

NotoriousREV 28 January 2005 09:08 PM

If you want an SLA, get a leased line but it'll be more like £300 + VAT per month! ADSL is cheap for a reason.

ProperCharlie 28 January 2005 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
If you want an SLA, get a leased line but it'll be more like £300 + VAT per month! ADSL is cheap for a reason.

I see. I think our current service at the main office is about £1k a year. As I am trying to reduce costs at the moment, I don't think I 'd want to spend £300 a month for the sake of having an SLA.

mj 28 January 2005 09:36 PM

PC - is it businessserve?

Aztec Performance Ltd 28 January 2005 09:39 PM

I pay £19.99 576k connection and no limits. Free connection and modem too.

www.demon.net

Bob

ProperCharlie 28 January 2005 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by mj
PC - is it businessserve?

No - it's clara.net.

The cost of the office adsl also includes hosting our website. Basically, I haven't had that much of a problem with them until a couple of weeks ago. Although it does tend to take 3 phone calls to get one job done.

MadGrip 29 January 2005 08:56 AM

£39.99 per month

8Mb line

500 GB limit per month

well happy :D

Phil