ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   What is the program WINMX? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/398412-what-is-the-program-winmx.html)

Biggins 28 January 2005 08:23 AM

What is the program WINMX?

My brother has recently been using my laptop to download some music. I told him to use iTunes which is already installed on the laptop as I use this regularly. However, he has seen fit to download a program called WinMx which now sits on my desktop. He says he prefers using it and it is fine. I have never heard of it and am not so sure. Can anyone let me know about it before I attempt to use it.

I am running McAfee Security 6.0 on the machine and also run AdawareSE & Spybot Search & Destroy weekly.

Many thanks.

molko 28 January 2005 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Biggins
My brother has recently been using my laptop to download some music. I told him to use iTunes which is already installed on the laptop as I use this regularly. However, he has seen fit to download a program called WinMx which now sits on my desktop. He says he prefers using it and it is fine. I have never heard of it and am not so sure. Can anyone let me know about it before I attempt to use it.

I am running McAfee Security 6.0 on the machine and also run AdawareSE & Spybot Search & Destroy weekly.

Many thanks.

Its a peer-2-peer file sharing client, it allows your brother to exchange data (music etc) between other people who have the same client. Very similar to the likes of Kazaa, E-Donkey, Overnet, Limewire, DC++ etc

Biggins 28 January 2005 08:52 AM

I am not so sure I understand. What is meant by Client?

Am I right in believing that you can search for music on other peoples PC's and they can do same on mine?

How safe is this?

<getting more concerned with his actions>

TopBanana 28 January 2005 08:52 AM

Google

molko 28 January 2005 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Biggins
I am not so sure I understand. What is meant by Client?

Am I right in believing that you can search for music on other peoples PC's and they can do same on mine?

How safe is this?

<getting more concerned with his actions>

Client = broadly speaking and application(program) on your pc that connects to another machine.

You are correct in your assupmption, your brother can search for a file, and download it from a PC in Africa (or wherever) and by the same token someone else can get that same file from your brother....

Safe = only specific files are shared out, its not like your whole machine is available to other WinMX users.

Taff107 28 January 2005 09:30 AM

Biggins, it is pretty safe - nothing to be too concerned about

Milamber 28 January 2005 10:19 AM

How long before Jack pops up?

Milamber 28 January 2005 10:24 AM

Has your brother recently started to wear an eye patch, sport a parrot on his shoulder and use a hook for a hand? <g>