ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Lack of boost problem!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/397313-lack-of-boost-problem.html)

Shimy Type R 24 January 2005 01:17 PM

Lack of boost problem!!!

Ive been having some odd boost problems!

About 2 weeks ago I noticed I was hitting fuel cut a few times, spiking up to 20 Psi. This wasn't all the time, as some days it would be fine?:cuckoo: The car normally runs about 14-15 Psi. A week ago I had a bigger restricter put in for the meen time to keep the boost under control till I could get a new ECU in febuary.

The car seemed fine for a few day's holding its boost at 14-15 Psi, but suddenly it would'nt go past 9-10 Psi :Suspiciou

I ran it like that for a day or so, then disconected the battery to reset the ECU to see if that would sort it. It sorted it for around 25-30 miles then resorted back to 9-10 Psi.

Its been like that ever since. I tryed reseting the ECU again but it just stays the same!

Ive been told it could be a faulty math sensor.

The car is a 97 R reg STi V3 Type R.
Any one have a clue as to whats going wrong!? :idea:

Cheers Shimy.

Comper100 24 January 2005 01:49 PM

A faulty Maff cause exactly the same symptoms on my car, a reset would cure it momentaraly but soon came back, i got a secondhand Maff, cleaned it and its been fine since. Idle was erratic too.

Do a fault code check first mate, you could try cleaning it with some carb cleaner too.

What air filter do you have?

Comper100

Shimy Type R 24 January 2005 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Comper100
A faulty Maff cause exactly the same symptoms on my car, a reset would cure it momentaraly but soon came back, i got a secondhand Maff, cleaned it and its been fine since. Idle was erratic too.

Do a fault code check first mate, you could try cleaning it with some carb cleaner too.

What air filter do you have?

Comper100

Thanks for your reply mate.

My idle as far as ive noticed dosnt seem to be different.

Ive got a standered air filter on. the only modifications that have been done is a straight through exhaust.

Ill do a fault code check tonight and and give it a clean and hope for the best.

Where is the maff located mate?

Cheers Shimy.

tweenierob 24 January 2005 02:03 PM

Have you had an oil change recently?

Rob

Shimy Type R 24 January 2005 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by tweenierob
Have you had an oil change recently?

Rob

Yeah I have mate!

About 2-3 weeks ago, why?

Cheers Shimy.

stevem2k 24 January 2005 02:08 PM

oil in the solenoid / pipework if they have overfilled it...

Shimy Type R 24 January 2005 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by stevem2k
oil in the solenoid / pipework if they have overfilled it...

I was there when they did the oil change so im sure they didnt over fill it, but its worth a try giving everything a good clean out, just to make sure.

when you say solenoid, do you mean the maff sensor?

Cheers Shimy.

stevem2k 24 January 2005 02:16 PM

nope , the bit on the o/s suspension tower that the thin pipes from the turbo go to...

Steve

Shimy Type R 24 January 2005 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by stevem2k
nope , the bit on the o/s suspension tower that the thin pipes from the turbo go to...

Steve

Ahh I no the one!

Yeah I tryed giving that a clean by conecting the 2 green wires in the drivers foot well turned the ignition on and squirted carb cleaner in one of the pipe conections, but it didn't make a difference.

Do you know which one the Maff is?

Cheers Shimy.