ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Recordable DVD players (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/395732-recordable-dvd-players.html)

King Eric 18 January 2005 03:37 PM

Recordable DVD players

I am thinking of getting a recordable DVD player but have no idea which one to go for.

1)I want good quality sound (from playback from recording but also from a DVD from already large collection)
2)It to be able to play the format on my portable DVD player I got for xmas (one of the funky Shinco ones as well as other DVD players in the house)
3)It needs to be reasonably priced.

Please help!

austen_wrx 18 January 2005 03:39 PM

What about one of the panasonic range that have the built in hard discs?? Not got one myself, but they are very funky!!!

pbee 18 January 2005 03:55 PM

if you are looking at hd and DVd recorders the toshiba rdxs32 is highly recomended and yes you can finalise the discs and play them on other dvd players (excluding sony which will not play any recordable type media).

has optical and coaxial output as well as the usual scart svideo phono ect it has component video if your tv supports it.

it is better bang for your buck than the panasonics going for around £340 for the multiregion one.

messiah 18 January 2005 03:58 PM

The Sony one's are getting good reviews, I'm looking at getting one primarily as a player - recording is a bonus.

One one the models now has a freeview tuner built in also and is going for £399 IIRC.

pbee 18 January 2005 04:40 PM

will the sony play recorded discs that are recorded on other players ??. Sony always had the view that if the player cant play recorded discs it will make piracy harder.

After being caught by this i certainly wouldnt buy another sony. and you can get just as good elsewhere for considerbly less cash, I noticed sony pulled their first dvd/ hd recorder because thr rrp was £1000 not bad considering there were 4 big names with sub £500 machines at the time.

messiah 18 January 2005 04:47 PM

pbee - no idea on your first question, but it's definately worth bearing in mind and investigating further...

Sony now do 2 DVD / HDD combo's - the more expensive being £799 IIRC (price from sony centre)

pbee 18 January 2005 04:52 PM

the sony pull was a while back, think they recased it took some bits off and relaunched with a more sensible price.

Nathan L 18 January 2005 06:13 PM

Pbee

Where can you get the Toshiba RDXS32 multi region?

I've been looking at this but was put off as I couldn't see a multi region one.

Also where are they £340, cheapest I can find is £360 ish + Del.

Thanks

Nathan..

dsmith 18 January 2005 07:07 PM

On the Tosh - can you record to HDD then transfer to DVD later ?

Nathan L 18 January 2005 07:16 PM

From what I've read, yes and you can edit as well.

djuk 18 January 2005 07:18 PM

Only thing to be careful of with the multi-region machines is the manufacturer's stance on the warranty. I know one or two of the big manufacturers in practice will be very quick to wash their hands of the warranty obligations if they can in any way link a fault to a change/modification in firmware or a physical modification.