ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   How not to stop your car on an icy road... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/395447-how-not-to-stop-your-car-on-an-icy-road.html)

AvalancheS8 17 January 2005 03:39 PM

How not to stop your car on an icy road...

Some unconventional techniques being tried here

Apologies if it's SIAL, I did have a look.

Paulo P 17 January 2005 03:49 PM

PMSL @ the people getting out of their cars :lol1: They probably stood less chance of getting injured or dead in their cars :rolleyes:

ajm 17 January 2005 03:52 PM

Saw that on the news the other day! The bloke hanging off the door was great! :D

Cupramax 17 January 2005 03:52 PM

Yeah, they had that clip on the news. Couldn't beleive the idiots jumping out of their cars, I mean just how dense are some people :D I know I'll jump out of my car to avoid an impact but get run over by the car behind instead :Whatever_

The Zohan 17 January 2005 03:55 PM

Ok to recap.
The cars arfe fitted with seat belts, assorted airbags and a saftey cell. all these are designed to protect you in an accident.

So if it snows and you are an American driving along what do you do?

Forget your own saftey and try to stop the car on a slope on ice with your feet - Fred Flintsone style.

<walks off shaking head>

ajm 17 January 2005 03:56 PM

They are probably the same people who think that if they jump in a falling lift just before it hits the ground that they will survive! ;)

Silvafox 17 January 2005 03:57 PM

LOL thats funny, what a bunch of muppets getting out of the car?!

darts_aint_sport 17 January 2005 03:58 PM

I bet they all voted for Bush too.

SJ_Skyline 17 January 2005 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
I bet they all voted for Bush too.

:lol:

Harry_Boy 17 January 2005 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ajm
They are probably the same people who think that if they jump in a falling lift just before it hits the ground that they will survive! ;)

Doesn't that work then....??:D

Poor Guy 17 January 2005 04:52 PM

so, why didnt they fit snow tyres or something?

Matt P 17 January 2005 05:17 PM

Pure class :)

Comper100 17 January 2005 05:44 PM

Haha, Americans are great! Putting there limbs at risk, instead of bumping ito a car at 5MPH in the comfort of there car! :D :D

Wonderful entertainment

Comper100

Dream Weaver 17 January 2005 05:48 PM

PMSL :D

M444GY 17 January 2005 06:10 PM

fooking spazmos . as if getting out is gonna help dick heads:freak3:

StickyMicky 17 January 2005 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ajm

always wonderd about doing that :D

Franx 17 January 2005 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
always wonderd about doing that :D

:D

BOB.T 17 January 2005 08:01 PM

How would you know that the lift was near the bottom :confused:

:D:D

Dr Hu 18 January 2005 09:52 AM

OK - As a lesson to us all, and having been a similar situation last year - just how do you stop your car sliding on sheet ice?. If theres zero grip, theres zero grip. How can friction work, if theres no grip to work against?

n.b I did'nt jump out though - and luckily just missed the van in front:)

Its easy to laugh at the vid, but put yourself in that situation, there's stationary traffic in front, obviously VERY icy road, you brake, all wheels stop you keep going..........what would YOU do(apart from jump out?:rolleyes: )

fast bloke 18 January 2005 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Hu

Its easy to laugh at the vid, but put yourself in that situation, there's stationary traffic in front, obviously VERY icy road, you brake, all wheels stop you keep going..........what would YOU do(apart from jump out?:rolleyes: )

Get off the brakes and steer always seems like a good plan. Ideally aim for a space - if none available small bushes are quite effective. Failing the try and line up onto the keb at a shallow angle (fooks your alloys)

If hitting someone is unavoidable, aim for someone who is tring to stop the car by getting out :lol:

imi 18 January 2005 10:34 AM

that lady nearly got run over.....what an idiot

brybusa 18 January 2005 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by fast bloke
If hitting someone is unavoidable, aim for someone who is tring to stop the car by getting out :lol:

Or whack the handbrake and and flick it into a spin, at least ud be crashing style then...!!

I also found the "Care11" site quite scarey looking.....American GMTV??!

Great vid!

Jap2Scrap 18 January 2005 10:50 AM

Yep, full lock and loads of handbrake. Hit the back end rather than the front. At least you can drive home after :D

theotherphil 18 January 2005 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
Yep, full lock and loads of handbrake. Hit the back end rather than the front. At least you can drive home after :D

Erm, that won't work. You have zero grip anyway so turning the wheels and pulling the handbrake is going to do nothing....you'll just keep on going.

Leslie 18 January 2005 11:13 AM

They tend to do the same thing if there is a shower of rain in the summer with consequently slippery roads. They seem to go through their driving life not expecting that conditions might change dangerously.

Les

Dr Hu 18 January 2005 12:01 PM

hmmm - so it would seem that the situation is virtually unavoidable...... if your in the wrong place at the wrong time prepare to be shunted:( (if in america many times)

BOB.T 18 January 2005 12:48 PM

It's common sense isn't, something the yanks lack! :D If you driving along and can't see the road for snow, you slow down, especially at the top of big hills! This morning I went up a really steep, snow covered hill and back down the other side, no problem at all, didn't feel the need to leap out of the car once! :D

johnfelstead 18 January 2005 01:02 PM

reminds me of the entertainment i had watching the idiots in down town Seattle trying to handle a dumping of snow. Every year King5 (http://www.king5.com/) set up cameras at the bottom of one of the hills and wait for the carnage to unfold, it's hypnotic and highly amusing.

midget1500 18 January 2005 07:33 PM

NO NO NO

you've all got it wrong!!!

this is pure genius...jump out of car before crash and then when the insurance company / police ask who was driving....not me!! avoids a fault claim against you. brilliant :cool:

Aaquil 18 January 2005 07:53 PM

Defo Bush voters.