ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Compensation from Lying Labour? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/395419-compensation-from-lying-labour.html)

alcazar 17 January 2005 02:20 PM

Compensation from Lying Labour?

Just wondering: will the government compensate those who LEGALLY bought radar/laser detectors, when they become illegal after the law takes force in April?

I would guess not:(

Alcazar

Tiggs 17 January 2005 02:36 PM

anyone buying one knew this was a possible outcome so i doubt anyone is expecting a credit note!

SJ_Skyline 17 January 2005 02:44 PM

More importantly, will Labour pay compensation to the manufacturers and their employees who no doubt will be made unemployed?

ajm 17 January 2005 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggs
anyone buying one knew this was a possible outcome so i doubt anyone is expecting a credit note!

I will be expecting compensation.... whether or not I get it is another matter. If its handled in a similar way to the handgun ban it will be insultingly low and take 2 years to come through.

Since the reason Labour are banning detectors is to make more money on fines it is unlikely they will want to release their sticky little grasp on the purse strings however! :mad:

Dream Weaver 17 January 2005 02:46 PM

Back to the days of CB radios with 70's face flannels hiding them then :D

I haven't heard about this, but why are the gov't going mental over normal everyday stuff, but then ignoring all the important issues????

Cant believe they want to ban radar detectors, and then decide not to change the law on tackling burglars in your own home :rolleyes:

unclebuck 17 January 2005 03:05 PM

Don't worry you will soon *have* to have a shiney new sat nav device fitted (at your expense) in order that your vehicle movements can be tracked for taxation purposes.

I expect this will be announced shortly after the start of the 'third term'.

UB:(

Dream Weaver 17 January 2005 03:12 PM

"Mad Max" stylee here we come :cool:

wacky.banana 17 January 2005 04:37 PM

Alcazar,

You have PM.

WB

^Qwerty^ 17 January 2005 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar
Just wondering: will the government compensate those who LEGALLY bought radar/laser detectors, when they become illegal after the law takes force in April?

I would guess not:(

Alcazar

Where did you get April from?

Andy Hall 17 January 2005 04:50 PM

You should at least be able to get a refund of 17.5%, they didn't mind taking the VAT off you when you bought them:mad:

alcazar 17 January 2005 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
Where did you get April from?

A snippet on teletext this morning.
Alcazar

lewis_junior 17 January 2005 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Andy Hall
You should at least be able to get a refund of 17.5%, they didn't mind taking the VAT off you when you bought them:mad:

You pay your money ypu take your chances. If you had been sensible and bought a cheaper one you wouldn't have had to pay so much VAT.

Or else you could try not speeding????

andy1505 17 January 2005 05:14 PM

Recent news items say that the debate is in April? I think that snooper have announced their intent to fight the change of law on Health and Safety grounds, ie if the camera's are there because of an accident blackspot then detectors give drivers advance notice of accident blackspots.

Andy Hall 17 January 2005 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by lewis_junior
You pay your money ypu take your chances. If you had been sensible and bought a cheaper one you wouldn't have had to pay so much VAT.

Or else you could try not speeding????

I don't have one anyway Junior:hjtwofing, but it pisses me off how first they were illegal, fair enough, if you buy them, get caught using it, confiscate it.
But to make them legal, allow companies to move into this area of business, and then the whip the rug away from the industry they have created and also the punters is sadly completely believable of this shower of sh1t we call a government.

lewis_junior 17 January 2005 05:31 PM

But to make them legal, allow companies to move into this area of business, and then the whip the rug away from the industry they have created and also the punters is sadly completely believable of this shower of sh1t we call a government.
So they were illegal originally? No, I don't think so. Was Heroin and Canabis illegal before it was discovered? Again, No.

Ohh and when your car becomes illegal to drive because it has failed its MOT, do you get compensation from the government.

Stop being a pathetic little moaner and do something great in life.

lewis_junior 17 January 2005 05:32 PM

of this shower of sh1t we call a government.
Do you see a better alternative? I don't and neither does the majority of the UKs population.

pslewis 17 January 2005 05:35 PM

Compensation???

HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR

Labour has made Numpties of you all and you all fell for it - paid your money on worthless boxes, paid tax for the Chavs babies and now you will be FINED if you have it in your car!!

Absolutely BRILLIANT!!

Fine speeders £200 for 1st offence, £400 for second and then take their car off them for 3rd (the value of which will be the fine!) .........

Haven't you realised yet that speeding is socially unacceptable and the general public wants justice!!

Pete

unclebuck 17 January 2005 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Compensation???

HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR

Labour has made Numpties of you all and you all fell for it - paid your money on worthless boxes!!

You on the other hand paid the speeding fines and got the points.

'HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR '

alcazar 17 January 2005 05:51 PM

So they were illegal originally? No, I don't think so.
Sorry, junior, it appears you're about as well informed as your da.

Radar detectors certainly were illegal, as the governemnt said they illegally received a police transmission.
Late in the 90's, someone took them to court and got it overturned, by stating, correctly, that since there was no information contained in the transmission, it could not be illegal under the wireless and telegraph act, for anyone to receive it without permission. That has been the state of affairs ever since.

Now Lying Labour can see that some revenue will be lost if we all know where the cameras are, and can be so reminded, so they are going to make them illegal again.

B*stards.

Alcazar

pslewis 17 January 2005 05:52 PM

Just take all your units out your cars and stop crying :D

Dear me, more money than sense you lot! :rolleyes:

Its NOT fair, they are going to make a device that allows me to break the law, illegal!! SHOCK HORROR and you still bought one?? and paid Labour for the pleasure? I am wetting myself here Ha Ha Ha

How much are these unit?? £300?? thats FIVE speeding fines isn't it? like I said PATHETIC!!

Pete

Petem95 17 January 2005 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Haven't you realised yet that speeding is socially unacceptable and the general public wants justice!!

Evidently you havent realised yet pete (yes referring to that incriminating thread!) ;)

I remember reading somewhere that the sale of detectors will become illegal, but not their use? Sounds more likely the other way round, but pretty sure thats what I read.

pslewis 17 January 2005 05:57 PM

Use is illegal as you are acting upon their output to avoid detection.

Last speeding fine I had was about 10 years ago - and I have only had the ONE!!

People can change, you know?

I am passing on the knowledge that I so clearly gain years before you lot - the public is FED UP with LOUD FAST cars driving round the streets!!

You DO know that they bunch you in with the Chavs and Max Power Nova Boys don't you?? :rolleyes:

Pete

Andy Hall 17 January 2005 06:00 PM

So they were illegal originally? No, I don't think so. Was Heroin and Canabis illegal before it was discovered? Again, No.

Ohh and when your car becomes illegal to drive because it has failed its MOT, do you get compensation from the government.

Stop being a pathetic little moaner and do something great in life.

Point 1
It may be beyond your comprehension Bellend Junior, but they weren't discovered, they were invented. I seem to remember that they were "legalised" as a result of someone winning a human rights case, by saying that it was a basic human right to know when he was being monitored or photographed etc. and he won. Thereby opening the flood gates

I wasnt around when Heroin & Canabis were discovered so you'll have to ask
your grandpa about that one.

Point 2
WTF this has to do with MOT's I have no idea. The only similarity I can see would be if the government were to turn round and say "hey you don't need an MOT, you can make a one off payment of £1000 which will last you for life" then reinstating it five years later and not compensating for it.

Point 3
I don't consider myself particularly great, however I do run a company that employs about 15 people and funnels a small fortune into Labours coffers. I just resent the way it's squandered and wasted. I don't think there are any parties out there that are particularly electable, but I don't see that as a reason to stick with this lot.

What do you do thats so great LJ? apprentice rocket polisher - you'll pass with distinction:hjtwofing

lewis_junior 17 January 2005 06:04 PM

What do you do thats so great LJ? apprentice rocket polisher - you'll pass with distinction
I bring happiness and Joy to many people.

Andy Hall 17 January 2005 06:07 PM

I bring happiness and Joy to many people.

But mainly yourself wanker

lewis_junior 17 January 2005 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Andy Hall
But mainly yourself wanker

What is with all your insults?

alcazar 17 January 2005 06:49 PM

What is with all your insults?

I'd say most people on here learnt it from your dad:D:

Alcazar

pslewis 17 January 2005 07:00 PM

Just throw your detectors in the bin or ...... if you were clever, put them on eBay NOW!

There we are a Lewis money making tip, as you would struggle without it! :D

Pete