ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Where to get 2ndhand Aircon fitted in South? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/394642-where-to-get-2ndhand-aircon-fitted-in-south.html)

brooks 14 January 2005 02:05 PM

Where to get 2ndhand Aircon fitted in South?

Okay here is my question:

Just bought 2nd hand Aircon for a classic. Phoned up my local dealer, Sparshatts. They use Coolair from Lincoln, who have a deal with Int. Motors. They dont seem very keen to do the work. So who else can I use? I live in the Portsmouth area. I understand there is no Air Conditioning governing board whose members will ensure a quality job.

Help!!!!!
Thanks

Simon

XRS 14 January 2005 02:10 PM

Brake Engineering in Brighton do them.

brooks 14 January 2005 02:29 PM

WOW XRS, that was quick. Thanks.

I rang Brake Engineering on Tel: 01273 300243 and spoke with Keith.

He said it would cost 160 ish to fit. I gauge from my conversation with Coolair that they were going to be way more than that.

Anyone any experince of the quality of work from Brake Engineering?

Thanks,

Simon

AndyC_772 14 January 2005 02:53 PM

£160?! Blimey. There has to be some mistake there - as an option from new, a/c on the classic was £1500, dropping to £995 for the last year before the bugeye came out. I've been quoted £360 just to replace the condenser on my old Primera.

You sure it's not £1600?

Dunk 14 January 2005 02:59 PM

Go DIY & it'll take you a morning. Do a search on here, as there's a thread or two about it & make sure you've got a full kit & the correct dash switch.

D

XRS 14 January 2005 03:11 PM

I've used Brake Engineering to replace my a/c unit and he was good - used by the local Subaru dealers from what I can make out.

brooks 14 January 2005 03:12 PM

The quote was to fit a supplied kit.

Not keen on the DIY option. I am not much of a DIYer or mechanic. Rather be able to blame someone else if they f*** it up :O)

Thanks

Simon

brooks 14 January 2005 08:01 PM

Thank you everyone for there help so far.

Anyone else who can recommend a AirCon fitter in the south?

Thanks

Simon

Brun 14 January 2005 08:22 PM

Where did ya get the second hand kit from? :

brooks 14 January 2005 08:30 PM

Bought it from another Scoobynetter, it was on the General For Sale Section. He got it from a breakers.

Simon

brooks 15 January 2005 09:31 AM

Any other recommendations?

Simon

Huxley 15 January 2005 10:38 AM

just to put a spanner in the works have you got all the bits ?

Like two high pressure pipes,2 low pressure pipes,drain pipe and bulkhead grommet,4-5 relays about £20-40 each,fuses A NEW receiver dryer which has two types of plug on sensor,Pump,Belt and mounting bracket,front radator and fan

And the bit that could make you think you have wasted your money if you don't have the right bits,Internal matrix 2 types that I know of and housings,early cars have to have a section in the middle of the dash and the other that goes in the main heater fan unit then you get onto the real headache the switchgear
there are three types of switch WRX climate control,normal uk spec early and new style dash type

Hope this helps a bit as I been there done that :D

richir rich 15 January 2005 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by brooks
Okay here is my question:

Just bought 2nd hand Aircon for a classic. Phoned up my local dealer, Sparshatts. They use Coolair from Lincoln, who have a deal with Int. Motors. They dont seem very keen to do the work. So who else can I use? I live in the Portsmouth area. I understand there is no Air Conditioning governing board whose members will ensure a quality job.

Help!!!!!
Thanks

Simon

try mark4 aircon on 01753 512747,

brooks 16 January 2005 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Huxley
just to put a spanner in the works have you got all the bits ?

Like two high pressure pipes,2 low pressure pipes,drain pipe and bulkhead grommet,4-5 relays about £20-40 each,fuses A NEW receiver dryer which has two types of plug on sensor,Pump,Belt and mounting bracket,front radator and fan

And the bit that could make you think you have wasted your money if you don't have the right bits,Internal matrix 2 types that I know of and housings,early cars have to have a section in the middle of the dash and the other that goes in the main heater fan unit then you get onto the real headache the switchgear
there are three types of switch WRX climate control,normal uk spec early and new style dash type

Hope this helps a bit as I been there done that :D

Huxley (and everyone else) , many thanks for the advice, YHPM
Simon

BROOKS1E 16 January 2005 03:32 PM

at last another scooby netter with a classy name :notworthy