ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   If Drugs Were Legal. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/394165-if-drugs-were-legal.html)

Jye 12 January 2005 10:13 PM

If Drugs Were Legal.

Anyone watch it? I thought it was pretty good, liked the drama documentary approach with the 'experts'.

pslewis 12 January 2005 10:16 PM

Didn't see it but I think drugs should be legal - taxed and controlled

More money for Labour and less crime, as drugs will be as cheap as ciggies

Pete

Jye 12 January 2005 10:20 PM

Well they (the 'experts') reckon that six billion quid a year is lost in tax, along with 16 billion + lost to drug related crime. Scary.

astraboy 12 January 2005 10:22 PM

I thought it was **** tbh, you could have compressed the documentary down to 15 minutes if you took the wanky "drama" bits out of it.
Oh for TV which is not dumbed down.
astraboy.

Jye 12 January 2005 10:25 PM

Ah, but it gets the message across to Joe Public who would never watch a proggie unless it was 'wanky' drama ;)

chaos. 12 January 2005 10:25 PM

need some smack now :razz:

Jye 12 January 2005 10:25 PM

See, just like that Joe ^ :D

NotoriousREV 12 January 2005 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by chaos.
need a smack now :razz:

werd

chaos. 12 January 2005 10:33 PM

See, just like that Joe ^ :D
bugger off :p

im hardcore ;)

gsm1 12 January 2005 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Didn't see it but I think drugs should be legal - taxed and controlled

More money for Labour and less crime, as drugs will be as cheap as ciggies

Pete

All drugs, including crack, heroin etc?

unclebuck 12 January 2005 10:42 PM

'tis an old debate. On balance 'drugs' should be legalised, but not by this government. Who knows what extra chemicals they would add to make you more susceptable to New Labour lies.

UB:eek:

what would scooby do 12 January 2005 10:42 PM

The book Ben Elton did on legalising all drugs was brilliant - worth a read..

astraboy 12 January 2005 10:43 PM

Anyone else sad enough to recognise the top floor of Heaven nightclub at the start?
Attended a "Ravenation" there a few years back :cool:
astraboy.

Leslie 13 January 2005 12:02 PM

What makes you think Cigarettes are cheap PSL ?

Do you really think it is sensible to encourage the use of hard drugs, or any for that matter.

Standards have dropped seriously since your hero took over and look where that is getting us!

You seem to be very good at typical NL solutions which never work anyway.

Les :(

Jye 13 January 2005 12:05 PM

New Labour doesnt have a solution to drugs leslie, just like all the others mind.

STi wanna Subaru 13 January 2005 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
What makes you think Cigarettes are cheap PSL ?

Do you really think it is sensible to encourage the use of hard drugs, or any for that matter.

Standards have dropped seriously since your hero took over and look where that is getting us!

You seem to be very good at typical NL solutions which never work anyway.

Les :(

Making something legal is not the same as encouraging it.

Brendan Hughes 13 January 2005 12:13 PM

What channel was it on? I missed it (for obvious reasons) but wonder how I could get to see it.

Jye 13 January 2005 12:26 PM

If... Drugs Were Legal
Wed 12 Jan, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins

London, five years after drug legalisation.

Clubs and bars are now licensed to sell drugs including ecstasy and cannabis: cocaine and heroine are available on prescription. Government control means quality and safety.

But then a girl dies from taking an unidentified narcotic, the new system is bought into disrepute and a murder investigation is launched. Drama documentary based on rigorous research and interviews with experts in the field.

SJ_Skyline 13 January 2005 01:26 PM

Legalise them - its called "Natural Selection" ;)

scoob_babe 13 January 2005 01:29 PM

If you legalise, loadsa money for the Treasury. But what damage is it going to do your body in the long term? Do you care? Would the Pharma companies be on the receiving end of lawsuits in 50 years time as the tobacco companies are now?
If people want to take drugs, they will, if they don't they won't!

pslewis 13 January 2005 01:33 PM

The weak will take them anyway, lets tax them and make them legal - everyone benefits (we get rid of losers AND get money for schools/hospitals/elderly!)

Sorted

Pete

Brendan Hughes 13 January 2005 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jye
If... Drugs Were Legal
Wed 12 Jan, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins

London, five years after drug legalisation.

Clubs and bars are now licensed to sell drugs including ecstasy and cannabis: cocaine and heroine are available on prescription. Government control means quality and safety.

But then a girl dies from taking an unidentified narcotic, the new system is bought into disrepute and a murder investigation is launched. Drama documentary based on rigorous research and interviews with experts in the field.

WHAT BLOODY CHANNEL?

Jerome 13 January 2005 04:53 PM

I'm all for legalising all drugs. Half of all crime will disappear overnight for starters.

Those that worry that ordinary people will suddenly become drug addicts needn't. Not everyone is a ciggie smoker or an alcoholic, so why would everyone suddenly start trying drugs?

As already mentioned, if someone is stupid enough to try legal heroin, I'm not all that bothered if they ruin their lives and/or kill themselves. At least with legal drugs they won't have to rob and steal from hundreds of people on their way down the toilet.

DJ Dunk 13 January 2005 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
WHAT BLOODY CHANNEL?

Easy Brendan, you need a spliff ? ;) :p

BBC2.

Senior_AP 13 January 2005 05:07 PM

Drugs are legal.

Alcohol.

Brendan Hughes 13 January 2005 05:13 PM

Aaaah, thanks Dunk :)

Edit - bit more detail for those who missed it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/if/4075235.stm

Jye 13 January 2005 05:41 PM

Soz Brendan, was just running out the office and never noticed I'd missed it.

passes - ===============#~~ ;)

Brendan Hughes 13 January 2005 06:12 PM

:)

BTW, to inform this debate, no drug is legal or illegal. It's what you do with it that matters.

Vegescoob 13 January 2005 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
If you legalise, loadsa money for the Treasury. But what damage is it going to do your body in the long term? Do you care? Would the Pharma companies be on the receiving end of lawsuits in 50 years time as the tobacco companies are now?
If people want to take drugs, they will, if they don't they won't!

The truth. Just tell people from a young age that they are responsible for their own decisions and actions. But also ,that others, including the State will not extricate them from any consequences of that action.

RB5 Paul 13 January 2005 11:31 PM

I think they should be legalised as well,as other people have stated if you want to take them then take them,and if you don't then don't....easy really.In fact it would be no different to how things are anyway but the police would have a lot more time for dealing with other serious crime,such as speeding motorists......ah nut's better not legalise them then :D