ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Positive discrimination?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/393476-positive-discrimination.html)

Senior_AP 10 January 2005 04:30 PM

Positive discrimination??

Good or bad??

Not to be confused with affirmative action.

Discuss.

ajm 10 January 2005 04:33 PM

Bad. For the same reasons that negative discrimination is bad.

For every person that is favoured by positive discrimination there willl be someone else losing out.

Senior_AP 10 January 2005 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by ajm

For every person that is favoured by positive discrimination there willl be someone else losing out.

Yep agreed.

Close thread. ;)

carl 10 January 2005 04:40 PM

There is no such thing as "positive discrimination", IMHO, only "discrimination".

Senior_AP 10 January 2005 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by carl
There is no such thing as "positive discrimination", IMHO, only "discrimination".

Exactly. The whole concept is a contradiction in terms.

Lum 10 January 2005 04:50 PM

I've always argued "positive discrimination is still discrimination"
For example I cannot get a job with Merseyside council because their policy is that *all* disabled people *must* be given in an interview when they apply, regardless of experience etc. that leaves very little time left for the rest of us so I don't get an interview despite lots of experience.

I've been told I should just put "asthma" in the disability section to get around this but I object to claiming disabilty for something that pathetic when there are some people that really need it.

I'm also aware of a friend in the US who failed to get into her chosen college despite being easilly qualified and applying early, because they got to her application towards the end of their admissions process and needed to meet their quota of blacks and asians and so on.

IMO positive discrimination just breeds resentment, which then pushes normal, tolerant people in the direction of racism, voting for the BNP and reading the Daily Mail.

Senior_AP 10 January 2005 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lum

IMO positive discrimination just breeds resentment, which then pushes normal, tolerant people in the direction of racism, voting for the BNP and reading the Daily Mail.

That is my general argument on the demise of this country. PC, Positive discrimination, loose immigration law etc. It pisses people off and as a resultant, causes more problems for the "minorities" it's trying to assist.

Deep Singh 10 January 2005 09:33 PM

Positive discrimination is not needed as long as the playing field is level. Unfortuately it is not. For each black/asian/disabled/gay person that gets a job because of PD ten d'ont because of negative discrimination. PD is not the answer though.Helps no group in the long term

Senior_AP 10 January 2005 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Positive discrimination is not needed as long as the playing field is level. Unfortuately it is not. For each black/asian/disabled/gay person that gets a job because of PD ten d'ont because of negative discrimination. PD is not the answer though.Helps no group in the long term

That's it. PD only serves to "piss people off". The anger then is vented against the wrong people - the very people PD is trying to help.

Lum 10 January 2005 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh

So work to get rid of the racist cnuts rather than bringing in measures that lend racism some form of justification!

Positive Discrimination just causes a milder form of the same kind of hate that people often have for the kid born into a rich family who does bugger all work all his life and pisses his parents fortune down the drain on expensive cars that he crashes whilst taking expensive cocaine.

Deep Singh 11 January 2005 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Lum
So work to get rid of the racist cnuts rather than bringing in measures that lend racism some form of justification!

Positive Discrimination just causes a milder form of the same kind of hate that people often have for the kid born into a rich family who does bugger all work all his life and pisses his parents fortune down the drain on expensive cars that he crashes whilst taking expensive cocaine.

Agree

Buzzer 12 January 2005 09:46 AM

You cant prove i took cocaine ;)

The Zohan 12 January 2005 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by ajm

Yep!