ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   406 keeps it reasonable with ZM coupe... (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/392139-406-keeps-it-reasonable-with-zm-coupe.html)

LG John 05 January 2005 04:41 PM

406 keeps it reasonable with ZM coupe...

....then blows up :D I've just been sent the video my mate took of me during my one and only run at crail in my green 406. If someone is willing to host it (5.0mb) then you can all see it but the camera cuts before the big BOOM. What it does show is how bloody quick (IMHO) the 406 is for a big barge once she gets up and running (keeps the bmw relatively at bay). Its even reasonable off the line and remember this was my first launch of the day!

Any hosters?

P.S. That was the first run of these two cars for the day and the 406 blew up. On the 2nd run the BMW driver took me for a run to cheer me up and smashed into a civic writing it off and totally boogering the front end of the BM :D

LINK ADDED THANKS TO OZZY

See post 17

brybusa 05 January 2005 05:00 PM

I think the "then blows up" says it all.....

brickboy 05 January 2005 05:01 PM

Can't help with the hosting but look forward to seeing it ... did you ever find out why the motor spat its dummy? :(

LG John 05 January 2005 05:03 PM

Weather depending we are digging this weekend. It has been suggested the oil pump packed in but there were no warning lights when I was on the line! If it packed in halfway up the strip would she blow that soon?

ALi-B 05 January 2005 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Weather depending we are digging this weekend. It has been suggested the oil pump packed in but there were no warning lights when I was on the line! If it packed in halfway up the strip would she blow that soon?

Doubtful...would have thought it was something that would be "going" for quite some time.

I've previously ran engines without oil pressure and they seem to last for ages :D

Although never tried a scooby...or 406 V6 for that matter, but we did have a 406 2.0 run on 2litres of pure sludge (thats all that was in the sump) and still runs (well not now...it got stuffed into a wall before christmas :rolleyes: ) - 60000miles NEVER serviced :eek:

Nat 05 January 2005 05:10 PM

Blown up the pug.....written off civic....smakced up BMW....All in one day!!

Saxo aka 'Lucky' ;) :p

ALi-B 05 January 2005 05:12 PM

BTW I would host...but my e-mail throws a hissy fit at files bigger than 3meg :(

LG John 05 January 2005 05:21 PM

could msn it if that helps anyone willing to host

brickboy 05 January 2005 07:57 PM

Ali-B -- tell us more about the 406 that was not serviced for 60K miles ... I'm a sucker for stories about neglected cars!

Seriously -- no oil / filter change for 60K????

LG John 06 January 2005 01:44 PM

Don't think we have any takers! Oh well. Lets just talk about not servicing cars :D

60k miles without a service!!!!!!!! How????

ALi-B 07 January 2005 12:27 AM

Alrighty then :D (nothing else better to do)

Yep was about 60K for the pug according to the records, overall mileage was around 80K to 90K at the time when it came to the family garage sounding rather noisy. Rather noisy being a massive understatement you couldn't tell what was knackered for the racket from the tappets ;)

It was a company car, and the original driver was an alcoholic, he since disappered and didn't come back! :eek: to make matters worse he had severe excema. I cannot descibe how bad the interior was. It had empty red wine bottles, The glove box was full of screw tops and the foily wrapping stuff that goes over corks - all glued solid by dried up red wine. Loads of hair too, and what we though was skin and I'm pretty sure somebody at some point had thrown up in it. It wreeked - almost made me sick when I jumped in to move it the once! And somebody had to valet it :eek:! (thank fook I don't work there anymore) :D

Suffice to say, I don't think servicing was on the driver's main adgenda ;)
Brake pads were on the metal, tyres not too good either (although must have been replaced at some point :confused: ).

Nothing registered in the dipstick and upon draining out the oil I think only about 2 litres of very thick sludge came out! To which the sump was whipped off pretty quick and found to be containing plenty of lovely grease and stuff that you could paint fences with. Checked the big end bearings, and shockingly although they were worn, they weren't shagged.

Well the company instructed to put the lot back together and they'd run it 'til it blows up (they didn't like the quote for a new engine). Only fixing the nessercery (cambelt brakes etc). So put it back together, it still sounded like a bag of nails, although somewhat more healthy bag of nails :D

And it carried on for around 2 years like that (although it was kept serviced this time) 'til last month when it was driven through a wall (obviously current driver had enough and wanted a new car ;):D ) Think it had over 100K on the clock too - and it still stunk :D

There are a few others examples but that one seems to imprint on my memory quite vividly (probably the smell - it really was that bad).

LG John 07 January 2005 02:30 AM

ROTFLMAO :D That is quality! Neglect of the highest order :eek: I can almost see the glum faced pug as the main car in a RSPCAC (Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty Against Cars) commercial.

"When we found 406 he had been mistreated so bady and run so long without a service that he was his pistons were hardly moving - with your help we gave him a new cambelt and pads. Help us to help more cars like 406, donate just £2 per month" :D

ALi-B 07 January 2005 10:17 AM

LMAO That pug was beyond help..Needed crushing ASAP :D

ozzy 07 January 2005 10:45 AM

Kenny,

Send it to me m8 and I'll host it.

Stefan

LG John 07 January 2005 01:37 PM

YHM ozzy :)

john banks 07 January 2005 01:57 PM

WE WANT THE LINK :D

ozzy 07 January 2005 01:57 PM

OK, here it is http://www.impreza-rb5.pwp.blueyonde...k/406crail.wmv

Stefan

john banks 07 January 2005 02:33 PM

Thanks. Difficult to really tell the separation TBH?

LG John 07 January 2005 02:49 PM

True, but you can see it ain't miles as you might expect. Remember the BM has over 100bhp more and is lighter if I recall.

As you can imagine we planned other runs with in car videos and videos from halfway up the strip but.......

LG John 07 January 2005 02:50 PM

The REALLY funny thing is how far the barge sits back on her ass coming off the line :eek::D

LG John 07 January 2005 02:59 PM

And After....

:(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/DSC00642.jpg

Hmmm, thought this poxy photobucket thing allowed direct linking!!! Standby!

Problem solved :)

ozzy 07 January 2005 03:02 PM

Link no worky; says the account is private.

Paulo P 07 January 2005 03:03 PM

Link doesn't work ;)

Paulo P 07 January 2005 03:11 PM

Looked like a nice car though :)

LG John 07 January 2005 03:15 PM

It was :( The one I have now is nowhere near as nice! It was probably one of the nicest examples of a P-reg V6 in the country with very few nicks or dings and the paint would polish up brilliantly. Now it sits in my car port on 15" steel wheels with the front bumper hanging off, collapsed suspension on the front passenger side and the neds have keyed it to f*ck. Its sad that engine failure made it uneconomical to fix.

ozzy 07 January 2005 03:19 PM

whoops best delete that comment :o PM him that please :)

LG John 07 January 2005 03:33 PM

Aw, what did I miss :eek:

ozzy 07 January 2005 03:37 PM

nothing; I'm innocent ................ honest.

LG John 07 January 2005 03:39 PM

Aye right! Its not often moderators remove a comment in a post that has been completely uncontroversial thus far :p

ozzy 07 January 2005 03:40 PM

it was a bit too controversial, albeit a joke. I've sent you a PM.