ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Removing Car Badge Adhesive (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/391547-removing-car-badge-adhesive.html)

wacky.banana 03 January 2005 12:11 PM

Removing Car Badge Adhesive

Finally happened; someone of extremely doubtful parentage nicked the STI & Impreza badges off the back of the car on New Years night. And yes, they scratched the paint while doing so.

Anyroad the point is this; does anyone have any idea how to remove the remaining adhesive gunge? It's pretty unsightly and I need to get the gunge off before I can fix the paint damage and replace the badges.

I would appreciate some sound advice on this from those who have done this before. Please don't tell me to use a certain product unless you have done so on your own car and it worked! I don't want to do any mor damage to the car.

Thanks in advance.

WB

dogpole 03 January 2005 12:18 PM

a smal amount of brake cleaner and then alot of good quality polish worked for me.

Gastro 03 January 2005 12:19 PM

A bit of petrol on a clean rag will do the trick and it won't damage the paintwork.

Gastro

ALi-B 03 January 2005 12:20 PM

Tar remover,

wacky.banana 03 January 2005 12:27 PM

Thanks guys. I have petrol and tar remover in the garage so I will give these a try first. Wish I could throw the petrol over the tit who nicked the badges though. :)

phelpsa 03 January 2005 01:02 PM

Followed by a match.

5COO8YDUDE 03 January 2005 01:21 PM

bug and tar remover

albob 03 January 2005 02:05 PM

try 'gently' warming with a hairdryer. makes removing easier

alan

alcazar 03 January 2005 04:06 PM

WD40 also works.

Alcazar

GC8 03 January 2005 04:49 PM

You shouldnt use petrol or any other aggresive petroleum solvents on your paintwork. WD40 acts as a solvent to most adhesive and it wont harm your laquer; it sounds odd but try it. Using a hairdryer might allow you to gently roll the remaining adhesive into a ball so youll only have to use WD40 on the remnants. If the hairdryer isnt up to it then try a hot air gun but be very careful as its easy to f*ck both the car and yourself.

Simon

RichA 03 January 2005 04:52 PM

White spirit works well. A hair dryer will soften the remnants of the badge... prior to using white spirit :).

R5_GTT_Steve 03 January 2005 04:53 PM

"brake fluid is better used to ruin a cars paintwork"

Think he said brake CLEANER m8.

GC8 03 January 2005 04:55 PM

So he did. Id recommend WD40 over anything though.

Simon

theotherphil 03 January 2005 06:33 PM

WD40 is what I used when I removed my Subaru lettering. It worked great.

wacky.banana 03 January 2005 08:24 PM

Sorted!!

Guys,

All suggestions much appreciated. The petrol didn't work but the bug & tar remover, left a while to soften things up, then followed up very carefully by judicious use of a plastic ice scraper to prise the stucky gunge off worked a treat. Tedious work though.

Followed that lot up with some T-Cut to sort out some of the lighter paint scratches. I need to sort out the deeper paint nicks left by whatever tool this idiot used to prise the badges off. Need a dry, non-blustery day for this.

I intend to leave the replacement badges off the car. The next owner can have them when I eventually sell up and move to the next car.

Cheers again. :)

WB

scoobyverysoon 03 January 2005 08:57 PM

Type 20 made by winzer wurth - its great stuff even gets oil out of carpets but will disolve any adisive without effecting paint (as long as you dont soak it in it)

its supposed to be for cleaning PVC window frames

regards

Jud