ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Sparkly KnockLink - bad fuel? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/391430-sparkly-knocklink-bad-fuel.html)

AndyC_772 02 January 2005 06:13 PM

Sparkly KnockLink - bad fuel?

My '05 JDM STI now has 3200 miles on the clock, and up until today I'd never seen more than a single flickering green light on the Knocklink - exactly what I'd expect given that the car was sold with a UK fuel remap. I've been using straight SUL with no particular brand preference, and even the first green only flickers at full chat.

Today I filled up with BP Ultimate and, after a gentle 20-30 miles or so, I floored the throttle and all 5 lights flickered on :eek: Even modest acceleration now lights the first LED.

I'm guessing it's just a bad tank of fuel and that all I need to do is take it easy until it's time to refuel - right? Any other suggestions?

I'm surprised at the difference between this tank and every previous one; maybe it's no wonder cars sometimes inexplicably blow up if there's this much variation in fuel quality :confused:

New_scooby_04 02 January 2005 06:19 PM

Andy, Have you noticed this on BP ultimate before? I've seen several threads on here that have contained comments about greater KL activity on BP ultimate.

Best,

AndyC_772 02 January 2005 06:21 PM

No, I've not seen any more than a single flickering green before, and BP have a virtual monopoly on the garages near me so I've definitely used Ultimate before many times.

scoobydood 02 January 2005 07:25 PM

I have only used BP Ultimate a few times and every time (except 1) my knocklink has shown much more activity than even on Supermarket SUL so I never touch the stuff anymore. My brothers 350bhp 1.8t Corrado melted a piston the one and only time he used BP Ultimate less than 30 minutes after filling up (coincidence perhaps?).... The motor had been running fine with that spec for 2 years!

Then again - loads of people here use the stuff all the time and don't complain...

Delboy2 02 January 2005 08:03 PM

I have been caught short a couple of times (Running on Vapours that is :D ) and filled up with BP Ultimate - within a few miles the Knocklink Activity increased dramatically both times to the point I had to make a choice whether to turn the boost down or adjust the ignition advance :norty: I stick to Optimax or as a second choice Esso SUL ;)

Cheers

Roojai 03 January 2005 12:05 AM

Seems quite amazing that the fuel can drop so much in quality so suddenly. Perhaps it's something to do with xmas and n'year; no new fuel delivered?

TonyBurns 03 January 2005 01:18 PM

Andy,
they probably put unleaded in the wrong tank, it does happen from time to time, though quite rare, id buy some octane booster just to be on the safe side :D

Tony:D

AndyC_772 23 January 2005 05:37 PM

Update:

When the tank was half empty I topped up with Optimax. Then I only got the 1st orange LED flickering - so, better, but still nowhere near normal.

Then, after burning another half a tank, I stuck in a full bottle of Millers octane booster and topped off with Texaco SUL. This doesn't seem to have made any difference at all - still getting 1st orange.

So, now I'm a bit puzzled. I expected to see a major improvement after adding a bottle of OB. I guess the next step is to run the tank down to empty, then fill with SUL+OB and hope for the best.

Well annoyed, though - the car's only got 3500 miles on the clock, of which 1000 were running-in, I took it easy for the next 1000 (out of paranoia after my last engine failure), and now at least 500 miles' worth of bad fuel :(

scoobydood 23 January 2005 06:22 PM

Andy.. Try keep the boost down until you empty the tank.....
1 orange is probably safe but better safe than broken...