ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Ford Focus Indicator Sound (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/390640-ford-focus-indicator-sound.html)

Bubba po 29 December 2004 11:16 PM

Ford Focus Indicator Sound

How irritating is this? How can they have sold so many of these undoubtedly excellent cars with *that* sound? It would drive me absolutely berserk!!

ALi-B 30 December 2004 12:24 AM

Sort of reminds me of that popcorn song

BMW 3 series indicators sounds like a fecking metronome: click clonk click clonk.

No wonder nobody uses them :D

ALi-B 30 December 2004 12:28 AM

Mind, nothing compares to a Celica....

Ever tried reversing a Toyota Celica?

That has to be the most irritaing thing EVER...a reverse bleeper to tell you are in reverse gear.

Why TF they cant use a lock out notch on the gear shifter like every other car on the road is beyond me :rolleyes::mad:

Which reminds me, anyone know a good cleica forum that can tell me how to turn the bloody thing off?? - it's more distracting than having my 2 6year old cousins on a sugar trip fighting in the back seat.

BOB.T 30 December 2004 10:35 AM

LOL, I really like the Focus noise, it's cool! :cool:

Mind you, I've just moved up from a Fiesta that was so noisy you could here the electricity on it's way down the wire never mind the relay :D:D

SupaMiniCupa 30 December 2004 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Which reminds me, anyone know a good cleica forum that can tell me how to turn the bloody thing off?? - it's more distracting than having my 2 6year old cousins on a sugar trip fighting in the back seat.

There is a thread somewhere on http://www.mr2roc.org.uk/ as the new MR2's come with a 6sp. Theres a search facility on there, I only posted this while I had a sec.

:)

Paul_M 30 December 2004 04:36 PM

Totally agree about the focus indicator noise, drives you insane. I can only imagine Ford managed to save a few pennies on using a proper relay and just shared the function with some other buzzer.

Current shape Mondeo does it too, my dad had one until recently and it was so annoying I'd find myself switching the indicator off while waiting at traffic lights and only switching it back on once the lights change. It's irritating enough to put me off buying one completely.

Does make you realise how obsessed the "stack em high sell em cheap" brigade i.e. Ford, Renault, GM etc are with saving money at all costs. When I get back into my 10 year old Audi runaround it just feels better quality, much nicer switchgear and a far more subtle indicator click!

Brendan Hughes 30 December 2004 04:43 PM

Is it the same in all Foci? I hired a C-Max, and there was a kiddy-friendly "pick pock pick pock pick pock" which was funny for the first five seconds and then just ingratiating. If I'd bought the car I would have had it disconnected by someone.

Bubba po 30 December 2004 05:10 PM

LOL @ "Foci".... I wouldn't know whether they share the same noise. It would definitely put me off buying one, though, if I had to change the scoob at some point. They've sold untold thousands of these cars and it can't be the first time this has been raised. The first time I ever got in one and heard the noise I almost retched. It's just 'orrible!

phelpsa 30 December 2004 05:38 PM

The Jag X-type indicator sound drove me mad when we had one on trial. Cli-Clonk Cli-Clonk Cli-Clonk Cli-Clonk.

Adam

Nathan L 30 December 2004 05:51 PM

The Focus noise is very similar to the older transit vans :D

chrisp 31 December 2004 03:19 PM

my focus indicator is louder than my impreza horn

Paul_M 31 December 2004 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by phelpsa
The Jag X-type indicator sound drove me mad when we had one on trial. Cli-Clonk Cli-Clonk Cli-Clonk Cli-Clonk.

Adam

LOL.... yes I'd guess it's exactly the same, I've never been in an X-type but I strongly suspect they use the cheapo Ford indicator "relay" as you can tell when you see one on the road with the indicators on, it doesn't even flash properly - more like a short blink followed by a longer delay rather than the even on-off-on-off that normal indicators do.

That's the Ford-era Jaguars added to the list of "do not even consider" cars then :D

BOB.T 31 December 2004 04:01 PM

Mine must be a one off special or modified then cos it certainly doesn't make me want to sell the car :D

Cabinet Enforcer 31 December 2004 04:46 PM

The indicator noise is played through the sounder in the dash (same one as for the "lights still on noise" etc) this is because the actual relay is on the back of the emergency warning light button, which is in the middle of the dash, and it would sound odd if the indicator "clicked" from the middle of the dash.

Can't say i've ever noticed it being loud myself, maybe it's the road noise that drowns it out :D

chrisp 31 December 2004 06:49 PM

yep I dont really notice either after two years

Bubba po 31 December 2004 06:55 PM

I think it's the very slight musical note that gets on my tits. A straightforward click would be preferable. I like the Focus, other than that! Never driven one though.

chrisp 31 December 2004 07:12 PM

very good to drive

part of the reason they have been top of the top seller listing for years

Bubba po 31 December 2004 07:22 PM

Yes, so I understand. :)

BOB.T 01 January 2005 08:00 PM

Really good to drive :cool:

I've only had mine a couple of weeks but love it already :D I got chance to 'test' it last night on the roundabouts of a quiet A1 :D:D

ALi-B 01 January 2005 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by SupaMiniCupa
There is a thread somewhere on http://www.mr2roc.org.uk/ as the new MR2's come with a 6sp. Theres a search facility on there, I only posted this while I had a sec.

:)

Cheers :thumb:

Looks like a case of killing it the old fashioned way with the wire cutters :D - much more satisfying (although it would be nice if there was a switch or a option to disable it via the ECU data port)

The bleep is gonna die <evil laugh> :D:D:D

robby1 01 January 2005 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by chrisp
my focus indicator is louder than my impreza horn

the impreza horn sounds like noddys horn :)

ALi-B 01 January 2005 10:29 PM

meep meep :D