ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   CIVIC TYPE R/STNDRD BUGEYE WRX (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/390589-civic-type-r-stndrd-bugeye-wrx.html)

ufcboxer 29 December 2004 08:47 PM

CIVIC TYPE R/STNDRD BUGEYE WRX

WOTCHA GUYS!

OVERHEARD A BLOKE EXTOLING VIRTUES OF HIS CIVVY IN SAINSBRYS C/PRK TDAY , AGREED WITH MOST OF HIS FLOW ( REVTASTIC, GOODHANDLERS ETC, BUT HAD TO CHIME IN WHEN HE BADMOUTHED THE BUGEYE

REKONS STNDRD R CAN LIK WRX ON STRAITS?

ANY VIEWS?

Gary C 29 December 2004 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by ufcboxer
WOTCHA GUYS!

OVERHEARD A BLOKE EXTOLING VIRTUES OF HIS CIVVY IN SAINSBRYS C/PRK TDAY , AGREED WITH MOST OF HIS FLOW ( REVTASTIC, GOODHANDLERS ETC, BUT HAD TO CHIME IN WHEN HE BADMOUTHED THE BUGEYE

ANY VIEWS?

Stop SHOUTING .................... :)

phelpsa 29 December 2004 09:06 PM

above 70 yes, from standstill, not a chance.

Adam

ufcboxer 29 December 2004 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by phelpsa
above 70 yes, from standstill, not a chance.

Adam

agreed...dont get me wrong b4 i turned into a scoobyholic iwas a honda nut

but how can u compare 2wd (or shud i say compete) normal aspiration vs 4wd turbo charged !!!??

Bubba po 29 December 2004 09:12 PM

No, it wouldn't, all things being equal (standard of driver, optimum gear changes, etc)
The bugeye is faster to 60... by a second. The CTR is about half a second faster to 100, as the bugeye's transmission losses take effect at the top end. So it isn't going to *lick* it on the straights, is it? They seem to be identical, performance-wise. But one of them is a Subaru, and as such, the owner has won first prize in the lottery of life. :D ;)

Gary C 29 December 2004 09:12 PM

After a quick search i found

Type R 15.3/96
02-03 WRX 14.5secs / 95mph

very close but you can see the type R has a higher terminal speed, the WRX will gain some off the line but looks as if it will loose out at higher speeds

all in all, not much in it.

http://www.fastsaloons.com/comparerace.php

ufcboxer 29 December 2004 09:23 PM

ctr is a great car , but in real world situations, afront driver, aint as fast (stndrd) safe, as a 4wd, as for satisfaction.....the revvy nature of these vtec units are great, thats the only downside (part from fuel) with the wrx i can think of i.e performance is defo there, just seems a little clinical,(detached?) bear in mind this is the 1st tur8o ive had , so the lag needs to be addressed ....

chris's scooby 29 December 2004 09:44 PM

I drove both a couple of years ago, and a number of other cars.

I bought the WRX.:D

Steve Perriam 29 December 2004 10:11 PM

tried a CTR before we bought our STi.

not for us. far to much road noise.

not quick enough for me....to much having to get into the VTEC range.

and imho not cheap enough at over 16k with no air con new ????

alwong 29 December 2004 10:26 PM

There are alot of cars out there for similar price as CTR. It's down to personal choice. I preferred the WRX over the CTR but that was based on a number of issues. Including torque with a few people in the car. CTR suffers alot with a load.

j joyce 29 December 2004 10:36 PM

WOTCHA GUYS!

ANY VIEWS?

Had similar conversation with a mate recently except for one fact, his car was a 400bhp Rx7 with a single turbo conversion. No contest unfortunately.

Chris L 29 December 2004 10:45 PM

Had a little play a few months back with a Civic Type R. My car is a standard MY01 WRX (bar a decent exhaust). I would agree with what has been said here. I was quicker through the gears, but top end the Type R overhauled me - seriously impressive car. Nice thumbs up from the driver too - all very friendly :)

image doctor 29 December 2004 10:53 PM

The doc says that after traction is not an issue (from 2nd gear onwards) a CTR is quicker the a std WRX.

WRX_Rich 29 December 2004 11:15 PM

would agree that a civic type r once on the boil will be quicker than a std bugeye - trouble is you have to keep it on te boil

and a WRX can easily be tuned into a different beast all together ;) which cant be said about a Type R

scoobchrissy 30 December 2004 12:20 AM

Here we go again >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

alwong 30 December 2004 12:02 PM

There is obviously a few worried people out there as the CTR topic keeps popping up. It goes to show how Honda have produced a standard vehicle remarkable close in performance as a standard subaru turbo.

Ubik 30 December 2004 12:19 PM

My mate is having his new type R delievered on wednesday. When its run in we are going to compare both cars (a MY01 Wrx*) and see what we think.

We think they sound pretty evenly matched, absolutely no idea about the type R handling though.

I have seen a WRX tuned up and played around with and its a far different beast. ( chrissy you know who I mean :thumb: )

Once I have driven it a bit and Richard has driven mine I will try and remember to post our unscientific perceptions.

*The engine is standard but the suspension is 'different' :D

A1exander 30 December 2004 06:03 PM

I saw a programme on TV a few years back that compared the WRX, CTR and the Focus RS and timed them round a race track. CTR did beat the WRX but dont know about on the straights.

S.B. 30 December 2004 06:08 PM

WOTCHA GUYS!

ANY VIEWS?

Wikkid nuff respect :)

16vmarc 30 December 2004 06:31 PM

I didnt understand any of what you said, even with you shouting i still couldnt understand you.

phelpsa 30 December 2004 07:02 PM

Translation

Hello

I was sticking my nose into someone else's business in the sainsbury's carpark and heard him boasting about the speed of his Honda Civic Type-R . I agreed with most of what he said (Civic is high-revving and good handling etc.) but I had to disagree when he said some bad things about the Subaru Impreza WRX 01-03.

He thinks that the Honda Civic Type-R could beat a Subaru Impreza WRX 01-03 on a straight piece of private road.

What do you highly intelligent Subaru owners, who are obviously going to be biased, think?

pauld37 30 December 2004 07:17 PM

bugeye wrx :). Yeah it is a bit noisey in here

Gary C 30 December 2004 07:57 PM

Translation

PSML

Jonesy 30 December 2004 10:45 PM

Bloody Hell, how often does this topic come up?????

I went from a 99 Scoob to a new CTR and now I'm back with an STI. Bottom line is the Type R is noisy, doen't have the torque or traction and the steering feel is non-existent.

Apart from that it's a great car ;)

THOMO 30 December 2004 10:55 PM

with my first scoob(wrx 260 bhp) i struggled to pull away from a type r over a ton.they are impressive.

captain ted 30 December 2004 11:05 PM

loved the translation. Helped a lot. lol

THOMO 30 December 2004 11:12 PM

wtf

SteA 31 December 2004 12:33 AM

Just curious, do many of you actually keep your cars standard? I presume your cars are as easy to tune as a 200sx :)

Would a CTR even touch a modded WRX? Driving the fathers CTR, feels very slow indeed and its handling although good for a standard car is poor compared to something slightly modified, and I presumed a scooby would be a lot quicker out of the twisties, off the line etc..........

EBR 31 December 2004 12:33 AM

Translation

Shouldn't Sainsburys have a capital S and no apostrophe ? :D

Or was this conversation genuinely in the car park of a certain person named Sainsbury (in which case only the capital S correction applies) :p

phelpsa 31 December 2004 04:53 PM

http://www.sainsbury.co.uk/images/fr...sburyslogo.gif:iamwithst

I'll accept the capital though.