ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   0 to 100 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/389713-0-to-100-a.html)

bluepolarbear 23 December 2004 08:32 PM

0 to 100

Whats the best technique for getting the best 0 to 100 (or 60 for that matter) time out of std UK STI.

Happy with starts but where is it best to change gear. Is it

1) Near or on redline to minimise gear change or
2) Around 5500rpm to drop back into max torque at 4000rpm

16vmarc 23 December 2004 08:36 PM

I change up just before peak power so the revs dont drop too much during the gear change.

s70rjw 23 December 2004 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by bluepolarbear
Whats the best technique for getting the best 0 to 100 (or 60 for that matter) time out of std UK STI.

Happy with starts but where is it best to change gear. Is it

1) Near or on redline to minimise gear change or
2) Around 5500rpm to drop back into max torque at 4000rpm

1) But keep your foot flat on the accelerator throughout, Brutal on the car but thats what the road testers do

john banks 23 December 2004 08:40 PM

Change up where the power at the wheels in the next gear is higher than in the present gear or the red line whichever is soonest. You want the highest average power (so you will usually be going beyond peak power) and the fewest gearchanges.

Pavlo 23 December 2004 08:43 PM

It's all about power, not torque. You may feel the torque drop off at high rpm, but it's going to drop off a hell of a lot when you change into the next gear.

As mentioned about, probably the absolutely quickest time would come from changing at about 7000rpm, but not lifting the throttle at all throughout the process, and being quick with both clutch and gearstick. But your car will not thank you for it.

Paul

theotherphil 23 December 2004 09:57 PM

That's the technique I was taught for getting the best performance from an Ambulance...keep the accelerator planted even through gearchanges.

bluepolarbear 24 December 2004 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pavlo
It's all about power, not torque. You may feel the torque drop off at high rpm, but it's going to drop off a hell of a lot when you change into the next gear.
Paul

I thought it was power for top end speed and torque for accelaration. Hence why all those cars running on devil's fuel boast about huge amounts of torque and effortless overtaking.

Pavlo 24 December 2004 09:47 AM

At any given road speed, you need to be at the point of maximum power to get maximum acceleration, and this requires being in the appropriate gear. An engine with lots of low down torque means that it will have lots of power available at lower RPM, not just all at the top. Since it has good power at lower RPM, you don't need to change down a gear to overtake.

I have a crobar and can create a torque of 1000ft-lb, but it doesn't mean I can accelerate a car very well.

Paul

scoobyverysoon 24 December 2004 02:15 PM

the works van kops for a bit off right foot practice :-)

he he he