ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Why does handbrake (!) sign stay on? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/388870-why-does-handbrake-sign-stay-on.html)

timmyajmy93wrx 20 December 2004 05:25 PM

Why does handbrake (!) sign stay on?

as title, mine seems to stay on today and cant work out why.... and yes the handbrake is off!!
Any ideas anyone?
Its a 93 wrx import.

Cheers in advance

Tim

ozzy 20 December 2004 05:28 PM

It's not just for the handbrake. Do your brakes work as normal? Can be a warning that your break fluid is too low.

timmyajmy93wrx 20 December 2004 05:31 PM

Ahh wait, you might have hit the nail on the head there - fluid is ok but my rear brake pads are getting really low, would they have some sort of sensor on there?

tim

Moray 20 December 2004 05:33 PM

cold weather sometimes makes sensor in brake fluid reservoir play up.

Delboy2 20 December 2004 05:38 PM

cold weather sometimes makes sensor in brake fluid reservoir play up
I will second that :D mine illuminates for a few minutes in cold weather then goes out once engine bay is warm

Cheers

timmyajmy93wrx 20 December 2004 05:55 PM

thanks guys, will be going out soon, so will be getting engine bay warm for the first time today and see if it changes anything.

Thanks for quick replyies

Much appreciated.

Tim

Roojai 20 December 2004 07:26 PM

Most likely low fluid. Try opening brake fluid container and closing it again, this seems to work as a temporary measure!!!?

DaveD 20 December 2004 10:09 PM

Could well be the cold weather, or low fluid, or possibly a combination of both.

My brake light has been on and off for a few months. Tends to come on in the morning if it's cold, but if it's been a warmish day, doesn't come on in the evening. Fluid is around 2/3 full and pads all round still have plenty on them. You need to make sure there's enough fluid to cover the white float thing.

Put it down to 'just one of those things' - after checking you have fluid and pads, obviously......
If there's anything out of the ordinary, best to keep an eye on things.

timmyajmy93wrx 20 December 2004 10:10 PM

thanks for that guys will keep close checks, not the sort of weather to have break problems is it!

Cheers
Tim

Scott.T 21 December 2004 09:26 PM

It may be the sender in the fluid resovoir sticking. Mine done it on my old MY94 and I know of other that have done it.
The solution is to take the top of the resovoir and give the sender/float a poke i.e push it down and up a few times.

Moley 21 December 2004 09:43 PM

My '93 WRX was doing exactly the same.

Changed the pads and topped up the fluid, it's fine now

Tone Loc 21 December 2004 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Scott.T
It may be the sender in the fluid resovoir sticking. Mine done it on my old MY94 and I know of other that have done it.
The solution is to take the top of the resovoir and give the sender/float a poke i.e push it down and up a few times.

Do as Scott says. Most common cause. The sender gets a little sticky on the older cars. Give it a poke and watch it bob about a bit then check the light.

Tony.

buzzard 21 December 2004 11:25 PM

add a little more fluid. has worked everytime for me. (i'm on my 5th impreza)

stockcar 22 December 2004 08:44 AM

the reason NOT to add fluid is simply because this also works as your "low pad warning" indicator!! if the system is full of fluid with new discs/pads then as the components wear the fluid will gradually approach the min. level, when it brings the light on....................

wouls suggest you check/ replace pads or discs (as suggested above) and/or also check the 'float'...........................

alyn - asperformance.com

Myk 22 December 2004 09:17 AM

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago on my 93 wrx. It turned out to be the actual cap for the brake resevoir. The rubber insert had expanded and was pushing the sensor down :( V quick fix, just push the insert back in properlly, hasnt done it since :)

Mike

AJbaseBloke 22 December 2004 03:06 PM

Bang on

Originally Posted by stockcar
the reason NOT to add fluid is simply because this also works as your "low pad warning" indicator!! if the system is full of fluid with new discs/pads then as the components wear the fluid will gradually approach the min. level, when it brings the light on....................

wouls suggest you check/ replace pads or discs (as suggested above) and/or also check the 'float'...........................

alyn - asperformance.com

Exactly what Alyn says:) It is a "feature";) As the pads get low the piston (s) go further out, therefore there is less fluid in the wee tank, and presto, (!) light on.

New pads will see the pistons further in, and the light go away:) And yep - it could be the float, but almost always it is the level dropping as the pistons extend.