ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Terminal velocity into water? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/388595-terminal-velocity-into-water.html)

mj 19 December 2004 12:03 PM

Terminal velocity into water?

I had a bit of an odd dream last night in which I was a parachute cameraman type dude following and filming some daredevil that was making an attempt to "dive" into the english channel from a plane. Anyway, he missed, and landed on the Isle of Wight, needless to say the dream eneded shortly thereafter :freak3:

I remebered the dream this morning, and was wondering, has anyone ever hit the sea at 120mph and survived?

David Lock 19 December 2004 12:14 PM

Or the Isle of Wight?

PS. Robert Maxwell didn't :)

mj 19 December 2004 12:23 PM

Or the Isle of Wight?
:confused: :p

maxwell was a 70 yr old bloater that fell about 8 foot, I know he was a fat knacker but he wouldnt have reached 120mph :D
sureley some lunatic must have tried this?

_Meridian_ 19 December 2004 12:32 PM

Terminal velocity is only about 120mph if you fall face down or otherwise flat. I think you can imagine waht would happen if you belly-flopped at that speed. If you fall feet or head-first, which gives you the best chance of a clean entry to the water, speed is probably closer to 160mph.

M

ajm 19 December 2004 12:53 PM

If you are lucky you can survive it, but most of the time it will be fatal. I'm sure I read of a case where an ejected pilot survived something like a 12,000ft fall into water!

A mate of mine is a coxswain for the local inshore lifeboat and they have to fish the floaters out from under the Clifton suspension bridge when someone flings themselves off. That bridge is about 80m above the water surface so they will be doing around 90ish% of terminal velocity. Most are fatalities, although a few have survived in the past.

ajm 19 December 2004 12:54 PM

here we are:

http://www.greenharbor.com/fffolder/judkins.html

:eek:

Huxley 19 December 2004 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ajm

As Tiggs just told me ajm you realy need to get out more ;) :p

mj 19 December 2004 01:02 PM

:eek: indeed :D - lucky bloke

I remeber reading a book of amazing escapes years ago in which a guy on a crippled plane had no chute, so he just though fcuk it and jumped out!

Apparently he landed in a forest where some pine trees broke his fall and he survived - not sure what is injuries were - maybe he got away with splinters? :freak3:

Maybe it's one for the jackass idiots to try - do us all a favour :D

Scoobychick 19 December 2004 01:20 PM

Wow, you have great dreams mj, I just have strange ones, last night I dreamt I was X-Factor winner Steve Brookstein's PA :eek:

I had been on the JD though :D

ajm 19 December 2004 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Huxley
As Tiggs just told me ajm you realy need to get out more ;) :p

Bloody peasants! ;)

Huxley 19 December 2004 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ajm
Bloody peasants! ;)

Yes master :notworthy

mj 19 December 2004 01:55 PM

Scoobychick - it was a curry n' lager induced dream for me.

always a winner :D http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/images/icons/icon14.gif

dpb 19 December 2004 02:01 PM

3miles ......what a ride :D..........and then swam home........:eek:....Made o the right stuff..:thumb:

Richard Askew 19 December 2004 02:06 PM

When I was younger I used to be a member of the Airbourne Canoe Club - we used to do various drops from bridges/waterfalls and diving boards and such like in canoes - entry angle is critical, short 30 ft drops can result in compressed vertebrae and leg fractures, so its certainly not just the speed at which you hit the water

As for fooked up dreams - I been dreaming about slamming tequila with my late father in a german theme pub lately :cuckoo:

I do believe I'm f*cked in the head :Suspiciou

mj 19 December 2004 03:13 PM

found on thinternet....

THE answer depends on what angle the body is positioned at as it hits the water - and what lies below the water. Although the highest measured jump into water was by the Swiss stuntman Harry Arias Froboess - 374ft from the airship Hindenburg into the Bodensee lake on June 22, 1936 - there have been numerous cases of injury or death caused by diving from just 10ft. All those unfortunate enough to have ' bellyflopped' from the side of a pool will realise the potential for damage that hitting the water at a bad angle can cause.
so thats 114 metres :eek:

So I suppose the answer is no, and it would take some pretty fancy flying to slow down to the kind of speed required to enter the water safeley.

LG John 19 December 2004 03:21 PM

I think the state of the water has a lot to do with it as well. If its glass calm then you are stuffed as it really is like hitting concrete. If the water is swelling and broken up then you'll penetrate the surface a little easier but the deceleration will still be crazy!

mj 19 December 2004 03:23 PM

:mad:

< scrunches up letter to "Jimm'll fix it", and throws it in the bin >:(