ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Early Xmas prezzie from Thames Valleys finest ... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/388226-early-xmas-prezzie-from-thames-valleys-finest.html)

hutton_d 17 December 2004 01:36 PM

Early Xmas prezzie from Thames Valleys finest ...

Hi,
Well, to cut a long story short, had a NIP in the post a few months ago. 37 in a 30. Hang draw and quarter him, I hear you cry .. speeding in a 30. Tantamount to muder ..... (so the road had just been reduced from 40 for reasons which escape me and, as subsequent photo showed, there was NOTHING in front of the car for miles!). Anyhow I digress ..

Either of us could have been driving as it was local to us and we both used the car that morning. So, back went the request for photos. Along it came. No use at all. Sent back saying, thanks but no use. Can't help you any more. Then they sent two more - this time 'enhanced'! But still no use in identifying the driver. Sent back the same answer.

This morning I just got their reply ... '..... In this case we have taken note of your particular problem and I have decided to take no further action against you ..' RESULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

The last line rags me somewhat though. 'You should look upon this as good fortune and I trust that you will take remedial action to prevent this situation from arising again'. Bl**dy cheek. I'm definitely considering writing back and asking Thames Valley to take remedial action so that next time I report a 'crime' they'll actually investigate it rather than just give me a crime numbe !

Oh, and thanks to http://pepipoo.com/ for all the advice - worth a look if you also get a NIP. Just to say that at NO time did I fill in or return their NIP form ....

Dave

Sub97 17 December 2004 03:00 PM

I dont see it as a cheak I'm afraid. You were lucky. Having nothing infront of you in a 30 is no reason to speed in one. Im not one of these "do gooders" who think all speeders should be shot, nor do I claim to never speed on 60's or motorways. But normally 30 mph zones are there for a reason.

Sith 17 December 2004 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sub97
But normally 30 mph zones are there for a reason.

There are roads around me that have had speed limits dropped for no obvious reason.

If roads have limits reduced then there should be signs put up explaining why.

There is a main road by me that has had the limit dropped to 20, the side roads which are very residential are still 30. :rolleyes:

prodriva 17 December 2004 03:07 PM

Anything above 2mph + 10% of the speed limit and your chances of being collared are much much higher ;)

Pastor 17 December 2004 03:26 PM

Agreed some are there for a GOOD reason, however others like the one I drove through (and got away with speeding through)in Southampton aren't. The only reason they exist is to make money plain and simple. How else do you explain a 4 lane highway with a 30 limit. No side roads, no roadworks just a wide road with a stupid speed limit on it.

Mungo 17 December 2004 03:46 PM

That did indeed used to be the case, but speed limit zones now seem to be completed random in nature, springing up all over the place the only obvious reason being to site a new speed camera.

New_scooby_04 17 December 2004 04:37 PM

Hutton D, you were lucky this time mate, I wouldn't push it. Their willingness to drop it may well have had something to do with the road conditions and the fact that the speed limit had been revised (unlikely I know but possible).

In all fairness, what did you expect at the end of the letter! :-)

"You got away with it this time mr speedy, please do it again and give us another chance to prosecute" *Grins* The fact is someone was speeding in your car and they want to be seen to do something to discourage it from re-occurring.

A cheeky closing comment is much better than £60, 3 points and a boot in the bo**ocks from the insurance company!

Best.