ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Watch Discounts on the High Street? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/388218-watch-discounts-on-the-high-street.html)

RobinSherwood 17 December 2004 01:18 PM

Watch Discounts on the High Street?

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what sort of discount I can expect on a decent watch, for instance an Omega Seamaster, in a High Street jeweller and specifically Ernest Jones?

Many thanks in advance for any help on this.

Regards,

Robin

CooperS 17 December 2004 01:38 PM

Wouldn't bother trying, Try them on in the high street stores and then buy from www.blitzwatches.co.uk instead

Andy

RobinSherwood 17 December 2004 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by CooperS
Wouldn't bother trying, Try them on in the high street stores and then buy from www.blitzwatches.co.uk instead

Andy

Thanks Andy, that is exactly what I would do under normal circumstances but insurance campany is insisting I take vouchers in payment for my watch that was stolen. If I insist on cash they will give me 1/3 less :(

Hence needing to know what kind of discount it may be possible to get in Ernest Jones.

Robin

Nat 17 December 2004 02:08 PM

Doubt you'll get discount if paying by vouchers mate.

simo 17 December 2004 03:50 PM

if your insurance co is paying for a replacement why do you want discount. give vouchers to shop - get replacement watch in return :). (or have I missed something?)

wakeboardar 17 December 2004 07:27 PM

possible 15% at goldsmiths more likley to be 10

i bought a seamaster chrono from blizt last week no one could get anywhere near there price
they will aslo pricematch if youy find cheaper

Hoppy 17 December 2004 07:35 PM

Use a Blitz print-out for bargaining, but local shop can be handy if the bracelet needs a special tool to adjust. I reckon most shops will come very close to internet prices, especially when it's Xmas Eve and they haven't met their bonus targets yet.

yoza 17 December 2004 07:40 PM

High street Jewellers will fob you off with a.... " Sorry Sir the prices are set by the suppliers, so the price is the same for all of the big stores."

Which is bo11ocks, but I have very rarely had money knocked off from a large outlet even for cash, so you will be hard pressed to do so with vouchers.

If they (your insurers) have given you the full hit for the SeaMaster, why do you want to try and knock them down ? :confused:

Or are you trying to upgrade to something better..

After a couple of phone calls I could supply you with a pre-owned SeaMaster AS NEW MINT(Full Sized Auto blue face) for £900 of your vouchers, if they are transferable.
http://www.blitzwatches.co.uk/produc...?productid=261
The same as the above.

mj 17 December 2004 07:53 PM

a veritable bargain :freak3:

yoza 17 December 2004 08:00 PM

It is a bargain if he has to part with £1200 at Argos, or wherever he is going.....:)

paulr 17 December 2004 08:35 PM

I've been offered a 25% discount from a high street jeweller,and easily got 17% from goldsmiths recently.

You lot just dont try hard enough.

Iwan 17 December 2004 09:11 PM

I've ngotiated 15% off both an Omega Speedmaster and a Breitling Avenger Seawolf at Watches of Switzerland in the last 12 months. If you don't ask you don't get. :)

RobinSherwood 17 December 2004 10:58 PM

Thanks for all the help guys.

The reason I am after a discount is twofold. As the watch was the only thing that was stolen that the household insurance will cover I have to take the hit of the excess so I am not getting the full value of the SeaMaster.

Yes, Yoza is right I was also considering upgrading though I am not sure what to, to be honest...

Though as the watch the watch that was stolen was a mid sized quartz, a full size automatic would be an upgrade (as Nat21 knows I have a Speedmaster Moonwatch as well).

Yoza thanks for doing some ringing around. I should get the vouchers tomorrow and will let you know if they are transferable and take it from there as I think I may get another (full size automatic SeaMaster) and change my Speedmaster for something else.

Thanks again everyone

Robin

wakeboardar 18 December 2004 09:06 AM

http://www.blitzwatches.co.uk/produc...?productid=526

i managed to get this for under 1300 if they say it cant be done at that price tell them they sold one at that price to rod last week

Nat 18 December 2004 08:07 PM

Hello Robin, hope the speedy is still going strong!

Theres a second hand Seamaster full size auto at Michael Jones jewellers in Northampton for £625 at the moment i noticed today :)

RobinSherwood 20 December 2004 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nat21
Hello Robin, hope the speedy is still going strong!

Theres a second hand Seamaster full size auto at Michael Jones jewellers in Northampton for £625 at the moment i noticed today :)

Thanks for all the input guys. The problem was being tied to Ernest Jones as that is where the Vouchers the insurance company gave me were valid.

Went to the Ernest Jones in Banbury, which was the closest to were I live, on Saturday only to find they didn't stock any Omega (or decent) watches :( Was not very impressed by that seeing as they tied me to that one chain of jewellers.

Anyway went down to the Ernest Jones in Oxford Street, London as I work close by at lunch time and got 5% off a full size SeaMaster Automatic, which was not a much as I had wanted, but all things considered and especially bearing in mind I couldn't go elsewhere because of the vouchers I guess it is better than nothing. At least it claws back the excess on the insurance!

To be honest it is not a bad result as I bought the midi sized SeaMaster quartz that was stolen in a charity shop for £350 so at the end of the day I got full value (less excess) for that and then only had to put a little money in myself to get a better version of the same watch.

Nat 21 - Speedy is still going fine thanks, I have been wearing it whilst I have been waiting for the claim on my Seamaster to be settled.

Thanks again everyone

Robin

Brendan Hughes 20 December 2004 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by RobinSherwood
To be honest it is not a bad result as I bought the midi sized SeaMaster quartz that was stolen in a charity shop for £350

Eh? What kind of charity shops do you go to? Cash Converters?

RobinSherwood 20 December 2004 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Eh? What kind of charity shops do you go to? Cash Converters?

No it was Cancer Research on Marylebone. Couldn't believe it when I saw it in their window, went in checked it was genuine, had boxes and papers etc and bought it on the spot!

Best wishes

Robin

CooperS 20 December 2004 08:02 PM

I'm going to buy a Seamaster tomorrow, went into Goldsmiths today, they offered 0% interest, but I think I'll tempt them with a purchase and if they don't bite, I'll get it from blitzwatches, I've decided on this one:

http://www.blitzwatches.co.uk/produc...?productid=208

LOVELY!!

Andy

bigsinky 21 December 2004 03:17 PM

@ coopers

blue wavy face m8 not the black one, but then i am biased.

CooperS 21 December 2004 03:29 PM

I'm currently eating my hat for my first post on this thread....

Went into town at lunchtime and haggled on the seamaster, got it for £910, which is only £20 more than blitz, with the extra links taken out (would have had to pay extra for this from blitz) and proper omega warranty, so that's £190 off the rrp which is damned good going I think ;)

Worth haggling, they tried to stick at £935, I said if they got nearer to £900 so we settled on £910.

P.S. I went for the black face one bigsinky, didn't like the blue as much, though it was still awesome.

Andy

CooperS 21 December 2004 03:30 PM

P.S. From Goldsmith's

paulr 21 December 2004 04:34 PM

so Andy,you got an 1100 watch for around 900,thats 20% off..nice work.
And its so much better from an authorised dealer,if you ever want anything doing,ie more links,new strap changing they are there for you.

CooperS 21 December 2004 09:54 PM

Hi Paul,

Yeah they took 2 1/2 links out for me, but I've gotta go back and get another 1 taken out, cos it's slightly too loose, plus the bird that served me had the nicest arse.....

Andy

CooperS 21 December 2004 10:03 PM

P.S. I took the print out from blitzwatches in as a bargaining tool.

paulr 22 December 2004 07:03 AM

..and the end result was you got the best price from the best dealer,an authorised one.