ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   V5 says subaru impreza GL but it's a WRX??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/388067-v5-says-subaru-impreza-gl-but-its-a-wrx.html)

greegs 16 December 2004 05:52 PM

V5 says subaru impreza GL but it's a WRX???

Hi, as title says. Looked at WRX last night the only concern I have is that on the vehicle registration document the car is down as a subaru impreza gl but it is not a gl it is an subaru impreza WRX??? Surely this is not right?

TEXAS PETE 16 December 2004 06:08 PM

Defiantly not right! wouldn’t touch it!!!!!!!!

scoobchrissy 16 December 2004 06:15 PM

Some of the WRX's did come in the country as GL's :)

RJMS 16 December 2004 06:19 PM

Probably not relevant but this is from the SIDC FAQ

"1.8GL"

A very special special! In 1993 Subaru UK brought in 6 Impreza WRX RSs, the development car which led to the RA. Due to type approval regulations, the cars were registered as 1.8GLs! 3 went to Prodrive and were presumably smashed to bits in a forest, while 3 went to Subaru UK who later sold them as used cars. At least one is known still to exist. Yes, it says 1.8GL on the registration document. Yes, it has a 2 litre engine with a huge turbo under the bonnet ...

greegs 16 December 2004 06:22 PM

Fair enough but if I bought this car and tried to insure it how do I get round that one.
"Oh I'm sorry sir can you repeat registration number please as we have this car down as a subaru impreza GL". Alarm bells are ringing very loudly!!!
I suppose I could insure it as a GL but what if I got stopped by police?
I have the chassis no: gc 8009530 from the v5. from the re-registering document, type of car E-gc8. Type of engine EJ20.

stevebt 16 December 2004 06:52 PM

what if it is a GL witha turbo lump put in it :eek: that would explain the log book and its all i would think had happened so not a good choice of car, id rather buy a write off than that :)

HomerJunior 16 December 2004 07:54 PM

I am not sure how much of a concern this is. My Turbo 2000 always comes up as a 1.6GL when I try to get insurance from it. Was slightly perturbed but got the car checked out and is fine (as far as I can discern).

Is always quite amusing when I phone up the insurance company and say sorry you have got the model number wrong, does my quote for £400 still stand? Hasn't worked yet but you never know!

My advice is to get a proper vehicle check done by the AA. Lots of money for this time of year but worth it for piece of mind. Always worth a quick email to DVLA. They came back to me really quickly last time I had a query.

vehicles.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk or 0870 6000 142

Good luck!

stu_5 16 December 2004 08:02 PM

My car is down as gl on the v5 (it's actually a wrx sti 555) seems to be a common mistake with imports when they are bought into the uk and registered with the dvla from what I have seen on here.

Not bothered to get it changed yet, it's down on the insurance as an sti 555 (had to call them up to get it though as on the websites it came up as a gl)

Wouldnt worry about it, dvla will change it for you without too much hassle supposedly.

greegs 16 December 2004 08:02 PM

Thanks homerjunior for advice but how did you get insured for your car if the registration number refers to a gl, or have you insured it as a gl? Have you ever been stopped by police and had a vehicle check done on your car ? If so what did they say? What did the dvla tell you?

greegs 16 December 2004 08:11 PM

Thanks stu 5 but I am worried !!

HomerJunior 16 December 2004 08:26 PM

When I told them they changed the insurance to cover a turbo (ridiculuous amount of money! :razz: ). I asked them why the car came up as a sport and they said that sometimes the database was wrong. I am not sure how, surely they get their database from the DVLA! At least it was consistently wrong for every insurance company!

DVLA are happy that my car is a turbo as the VIN number and model number match up (as shown on my vehcle documentation). Never got a satisfactory answer but at least my mind was at rest.

Not been stopeed by the police yet. Not sure what you are insinuating......:Whatever_ LOL. Guess they get their details from the DVLA also so shouldn't be a problem. The DVLA is definitely where you need to get it cleared up. If you give them the VIN they should be able to trace the entire car history and at leat put your mind to rest.

Let us all know how you get on.

Originally Posted by greegs
Thanks homerjunior for advice but how did you get insured for your car if the registration number refers to a gl, or have you insured it as a gl? Have you ever been stopped by police and had a vehicle check done on your car ? If so what did they say? What did the dvla tell you?

greegs 16 December 2004 08:38 PM

Does this number look like VIN number- gc8009530 or is it 17 digits long like uk? The other digits I saw on documentation were egc8 and ej20. If you put them all together they do make 17 digits !!

StickyMicky 16 December 2004 10:58 PM

mines a gl as well i think?
i wouldnt worry about it

Tracktive Solutions 17 December 2004 09:29 AM

Greegs
As an importer of cars. I can tell you this is nothing to worry about!! The DVLA doesn't have a JDM database, therefore the vehicle will go down as the first impreza in their list (GL). A majority of the cars i have imported have been registered as Impreza GL's. Dont be alarmed by this, We had a 22b that was on the registration Doc as an Outback once!!

Regards,

Gav...

greegs 17 December 2004 09:55 AM

Thanks for info guys. Not worrying so much now!

EddScott 17 December 2004 10:58 AM

I know its not quite the same but my GFs Astra always comes up as a 1.6 16 valve. When I got an insurance quote I was horrified at the cost and was told thats what you get for buying 16V engines when young.

Opening the bonnet to find a 8V engine was a bit of a shock. However the Vauxhall dealer said this always happens and keeps happening with this car. They sold it originally but never noticed the mistake. The last owner tried to get it changed a few times but the DVLA ignored the letters.

It does happen but obivously with imports you have to be careful. I was also under the impression that a few WRXs come in as GLs for some reason.

ATC 1 17 December 2004 11:31 AM

My V5 also has it down as a GL and mine is a Sti Type r V3 V-Ltd ! !

SPEN555 17 December 2004 11:38 AM

They are complete dickheads.

My last scoob, a MY00 euro import impreza turbo came back as a Mazda with a twin axle FFS! Not even remotely close! :mad:

Johnny sti 17 December 2004 12:27 PM

When i brought my 1993 wrx it was down as a GL. So just sent it back to the DVLA and they changed it straight over to a wrx no probs

Johnny

chrisbridge 18 December 2004 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny sti
When i brought my 1993 wrx it was down as a GL. So just sent it back to the DVLA and they changed it straight over to a wrx no probs

Johnny

Mine too. 93 wrx, had to have mine changed from gl to wrx also, no probs

greegs 19 December 2004 11:55 AM

Hi, just to say I didn't get the above car. Going to keep looking though. Now I won't panic so much if I see gl on the logbook!

hostagewrx 21 December 2004 09:25 PM

I have a WRX 1993 and on the V5 it came up as a Subaru Impreza GL!

So sent a letter to the dvla and informed them of the change and of my details.

A week later, V5 returned, in the wrong name!! and unchanged from GL!

Phonecall to DVLA who then stated that to change the type from GL to WRX would need a letter from Subaru to confirm the model!!!

The VIN and engine number and engine capacity all matches!!!

As for insurance, used Norwich Union and rang them, no probs and very cheap!

wrxolly 06 December 2011 08:07 PM

can you insure the car as a gl? i had a 94 wrx recently was sat on my drive for about 3 months as iam only 25 i couldnt get a quote cheaper than 2k!!! i put gl in i got it down to 1200,but at the time i was in no position to keep the car so it was sold,iam now driving round in a 1 liter polo, exciting stuff, seriously miss the scooby, would i be ok just insuring it as a gl?

Moley 06 December 2011 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by wrxolly (Post 10367536)
can you insure the car as a gl? i had a 94 wrx recently was sat on my drive for about 3 months as iam only 25 i couldnt get a quote cheaper than 2k!!! i put gl in i got it down to 1200,but at the time i was in no position to keep the car so it was sold,iam now driving round in a 1 liter polo, exciting stuff, seriously miss the scooby, would i be ok just insuring it as a gl?

What do you think? :rolleyes:

birchy2010 06 December 2011 08:13 PM

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0...surrection.jpg

And its essentially driving a modified car with no modifications declared. So a big no no and technically no better than no insurance as yours is void.

wrxolly 07 December 2011 05:33 PM

moley how much iam at looking at 95 wrx iam 25 2 years no claims? just as an rough idea
cheers