ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Interior (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/)
-   -   Momo steering wheel boss question (https://www.scoobynet.com/interior-15/387937-momo-steering-wheel-boss-question.html)

Grovit 16 December 2004 08:58 AM

Momo steering wheel boss question

Hi

Have bought a Momo steering wheel, however have had a few problems tracking down a boss for it.

Phoned Halfrauds first (but only because I have some vouchers to be used with them) and advised the relevent car details - 1997 UK Impreza Turbo, post facelift spec - airbag fitted. Nope they couldn't get an airbag - only models up to 1996 available.

So I then phoned Demontweeks and they advised I'd need to get one through Prodrive as they didn't have one either (although they did think that a 1996 boss should fit but couldn't really be 100% sure).

Has anyone else had this problem - surely to goodness, I can't be the only person who's tried to change his steering wheel on a 1997 Impreza......?

Any suggestions at all folks.....?

scoobylav 16 December 2004 09:41 AM

I have changed mine on an MY97. Demon tweeks had one for my wheel. But I ended up getting mine from AWD in Perth. I guess it depends which wheel you have got.
Mine is this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ylav/Momo1.jpg

Grovit 16 December 2004 01:57 PM

Cheers bud - I never thought of AWD - might give 'em a buzz.

Nice wheel btw ! :)

scoobylav 16 December 2004 02:13 PM

Thanks makes the scoob feel like a go kart :D:D:D:D:D

Grovit 23 March 2005 11:03 PM

I'm having an absolute 'mare with this steering wheel.

Please can someone help a total dope of a sooby owner (ie - me) -in case I'm doing something wrong. Here's the situatrion:

1997 UK classic impreza - airbag s.wheel fitted.

Want to replace with momo aftermarket non-airbag steering wheel.

Momo boss aquired from demon tweeks - all ready to go.

Original airbag wheel removed, but faced with black plastic casing surrounding the spline looking like a huge black 'o' ring. The casing has a yellow circular sticker on, and houses various connections for the airbag and horn. There is now nowhere that the metal contact plate of the new boss to go.

Is there an adaptor kit that I should get, or should the casing be split open or removed.

Any help would be much appreciated - getting seriously peeved off with how difficult this fairly straight forward task is becoming.

Thanks
Chris :)

scoobylav 24 March 2005 09:25 AM

Ahhh I remember the black ring. I removed this. It is the mechanism that fires the airbag. Be warned though once this is removed the auto cancel on your indicators will not work and you will also have to wire the horn up differently.

I didnt worry about the indicators however I am sure this would be easy to sort. The Horn is not too bad. You first need to establish which wire is the horn (even I figured this out) I then found a hole that took a screw nicely at about 2 oclock IIRC as you look at the steering column / indicator assemby which matched up perfectly with the brass ring on the back of the steering wheel boss. So I screwed the screw in the appropriate amount and then soldered the wire to the head of it. There was a bit of trial and error getting the screw the right length but it is well worth it.

I hope this makes sense,

Ian

Grovit 25 March 2005 09:11 AM

Ian - that's spot on mate - much appreciated.

Just one question - to remove the ring - do you have to destroy / break it or can it be removed intact - ie can it be replaced at a later date if required...?

Many thanks

Chris

scoobylav 25 March 2005 09:41 AM

Chris,

I do remember the ring ended up in lots of tiny bits, but that may have been because if the autocancel is something to do with this then I would have tried to butcher it to make it work.

I dont think I had to break it to remove it though.

Hope this helps,

Ian

mmmiddy 25 March 2005 02:44 PM

I've just had exactly the same problem on my bugeye.

Got everything stripped down to the spinner ring, there are 4 screws that hold it on, but there doesn't seem to be a way of disconnecting the wiring!

Didn't want to damage it, as I want to put it back to standard one day!

Had to put the ships wheel back on.

mmmiddy 26 March 2005 05:37 AM

Just had a thought, when you buy the boss, do you?

Buy the airbag version, because your car was fitted with an airbag?
(Even though you're fitting a non airbag wheel)

or

Buy the airbag version, to fit a steering wheel with an airbag?

Adam M 27 March 2005 10:22 AM

I thnk it is formerly fitted with an airbag.

the steering wheel surround on an air bag equipped car leaves a gaping hole around its outside if you use a non airbag boss.

Last time I looked at doing this there was no airbag boss available, but doesnt affect me anyway as the 22B has no airbag.

Question, does anyone know where I can get that momo steering wheel above?