ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Doing 100 on A46 - Spot a Camera Van on a Bridge.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/387280-doing-100-on-a46-spot-a-camera-van-on-a-bridge.html)

sulli 13 December 2004 08:30 PM

Doing 100 on A46 - Spot a Camera Van on a Bridge....

....I braked hard, as did the car I was overtaking, when we both spotted it - I dropped back more than him :)
Happened to me last week.
No NIP yet, but wondered what these cameras range is (must have braked to 70 about 1/2 mile away), and what my best ploy is to get out of it should I get a NIP (anything considered, legal or otherwise ;)
Very sneaky placing by the way - certainly not an accident blackspot, clear road with good visibility on a clear day! Feckers :razz:

richir rich 13 December 2004 08:43 PM

no hope m8 u will get a ban!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:eek2:

Originally Posted by sulli
....I braked hard, as did the car I was overtaking, when we both spotted it - I dropped back more than him :)
Happened to me last week.
No NIP yet, but wondered what these cameras range is (must have braked to 70 about 1/2 mile away), and what my best ploy is to get out of it should I get a NIP (anything considered, legal or otherwise ;)
Very sneaky placing by the way - certainly not an accident blackspot, clear road with good visibility on a clear day! Feckers :razz:

Barmyclown 13 December 2004 08:44 PM

whereabouts on the A46. You know just for safety reasons don`t want to have to brake really hard and cause an accident you know.;)

richir rich 13 December 2004 08:56 PM

yea a ban 4 u 2:razz:

Originally Posted by Barmyclown
whereabouts on the A46. You know just for safety reasons don`t want to have to brake really hard and cause an accident you know.;)

sulli 13 December 2004 09:09 PM

Ha ha - hard compared to the muppet next to me.
The bridge for the University was where it was at - sneaky feckers.
Cheers for the advice - off to pack my cases, i'm emigrating - let the buggers catch me in Argentina:hjtwofing

richir rich 13 December 2004 09:23 PM

no hope m8 threre on 2 u good luck !!!!!!:hjtwofing

Cheers for the advice - off to pack my cases, i'm emigrating - let the buggers catch me in Argentina:hjtwofing

mart360 13 December 2004 09:50 PM

so why did you feckin brake then???????

porky pies or pie in the sky!!!!!!!

should have done over the ton then..

m

billythekid 13 December 2004 09:57 PM

In fair visibility you can get about 1km range... however they tend to target an area closer, around the 300-400m mark.

sulli 13 December 2004 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by mart360
so why did you feckin brake then???????

porky pies or pie in the sky!!!!!!!

should have done over the ton then..

m

:iamwithst Huh?
I braked cause I spotted the camera and wanted to scrub my speed down to legal limits in case I wasn't yet in range. Why else? :Whatever_

m3matt 13 December 2004 09:59 PM

"you're fackin nicked me old beauty" :D

sulli 13 December 2004 10:03 PM

Lucky it was a Student from the Uni driving :D

richir rich 13 December 2004 10:14 PM

what can do aturn:razz:

Lucky it was a Student from the Uni driving :D

Stevie_h 14 December 2004 12:19 AM

It may not have been a speed camera. It could of been one of those road tax cameras,

Ste

Nixon 14 December 2004 12:34 AM

I've passed 3 of these forward facing mobile hair dryers, tripod mount, slung out the back of a van and hovered over a bridge.

M3 - Northbound 6:45am junction south of Fleet Services, camera on bridge, probably so close to the CTR's bumper it caught him not me :D

A35 - Entering Poole on the Old Wareham Road (past the car garages), 6:00am!! in a 30mph industrial estate (question is why), was doing 50mph as I came over the hump out of the 60 limit saw the van and slammed on the stop pedal, never heard a dicky.

A35 Upton Bypass - About 1/2 mile down the bypass out of Dorchester towards Poole 6:30am, first lay-by after l/h sweeping bend, approached at about 90mph, spotted and slowed on first sight... not a dicky ;)

Interestingly all of these have been before 7am in the morning!! that is more than a coincidence! I leave for work in plenty of time when the roads are quiet and similarly on the journey home, they are blatantly targeting the roads when empty as they know as well as any of us that the god dam roads almost go backwards when every other 50mph lane hogging numpty gets out :(

_Meridian_ 14 December 2004 07:21 AM

Saw one on a bridge on the A46 on Sunday, but it was pointed the other way (southbound). Somewhere near the A45 junction.

M

tozerman 14 December 2004 08:33 AM

THERE FOR THE GRACE OF GOD GO US ALL.....

alwong 14 December 2004 08:40 AM

You might be ok. The police camera van only focuses on 1 vehicle at a time. 50/50 mate! They have a range of 1km and they average you over a certain distance.

pbee 14 December 2004 08:43 AM

be carefull the ones on the a14 appear to be targetting the other carriageway from a bridge when infact they are diagonally targetting the approaching traffic on the opposite carriageway.

JJD 14 December 2004 04:50 PM

The person who is operating them first has to decide which car to target so this governs the point at which the target car gets picked up, which is max. about 600 meters. The radar is capable of working at greater distances but at 1 mile your speed can not be judged by the guy behind the radar. (Think plane in sky and how that appears to be moving slowly). Hopefully until you get to within range and have cut your speed, his attention has been elsewhere!
This is from the horses’ mouth!

Prehaps you should slow down and then you won't have to worry about these things......:-)

Speed dosn't kill its the person who is driving !

sulli 14 December 2004 05:05 PM

Cheers JJD - a sensible answer.
When I say braked hard - hard enough to scrub off speed, I knew no-one was behind me and I was fully in control at all times (I have good brakes and am an Advanced Driver).
I would say they'd be more likely to target me, as it's a Scooby - but am sure I was within legal limit by 500 metres distance from van.
:)

mkay 13 April 2016 06:58 PM

*Whoops, very late reply to an old thread, ignore*

Scooby.Newbie 13 April 2016 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by mkay (Post 11820526)

Just read the whole of this thread without noticing it was 12 years old, you owe me 5 minutes of my life.

Wonder is Sulli is out yet?

wrx300scooby 13 April 2016 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by mkay (Post 11820526)

Classics first post. Welcome:thumb:

I thought sulli had been released and was letting us know:lol1:

hodgy0_2 13 April 2016 09:28 PM

I thought he had moved to Argentina

wayne9t9 14 April 2016 04:47 PM

Maybe they read this thread and were waiting for him at the airport.

BrownPantsRacing 14 April 2016 04:56 PM

He should be coming off his ban soon I believe.