ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anyone work in the Gas supply business...help! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/384223-anyone-work-in-the-gas-supply-business-help.html)

lmsbman 01 December 2004 04:10 PM

Anyone work in the Gas supply business...help!

I have just received a threatening letter today from NPower stating that they are going to apply for a warrant to enter my house to complete a gas safety inspection. Does anyone have any idea what this is about?
As far as I am aware, it is only landlords (i.e. rented accomodation) that has to be inspected. My house is owned by me. I think that they have no right to do this, but before I phone them up and have a 'go', could someone in the know put me right.

alcazar 01 December 2004 04:21 PM

I recently had a new meter.......I didn't ask for it, they wrote and said it needed changed and when could they come?

When they came to do it, they wanted to do a safety inspection before they'd fit the new meter, (having taken the old one out) :rolleyes: so I said to get on with it.

The only thing they said was I had to fit a safety guard over my balanced flue outlet, in case some little kid touches it. :mad: my kids are 15 and 18 FFS, and any little kid touching it would be fekkin trespassing in my back garden!

They also said that my gas fire, despite being fitted by British Gas, was "only just" under the limit before which they would have had to disconnect it, and I'd have had to pay to have it reconnected :eek: after having extra ventilation fitted.:mad:

I tell you, it's the fekkin nanny state gone mad:mad:

Alcazar

RB5-Black 01 December 2004 04:22 PM

They think you have bypass on the meter

Cornelius 01 December 2004 04:27 PM

By law, they are allowed onto your property as the meter is their property, by the sounds of it, they have tried to gain access but either no one was at home, or you've refused entry.
It's unusual for such steps to be taken unless they feel the meter has been tampered with, or they have serious concerns regarding the safety/condition of the meter. after all, a gas explosion in a domestic house won't look good for the gas company

lmsbman 01 December 2004 04:37 PM

The meter and boiler were replaced approx 18 months ago and all the usual inspections were done then.
I work shifts, so no doubt they have called but I haven't been in. However, there seems no need to inspect the system. They may want to read the meter, but that is not what they are saying in their threatening letter. The bills etc have all been paid on time.

Buckrogers 01 December 2004 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by lmsbman
They may want to read the meter, but that is not what they are saying in their threatening letter. The bills etc have all been paid on time.

As far as I know, they have no legal right of entry, just to read the meter. Every 1/4, a guy turns up at our house. I just ask for a card, fill it in myself and leave it for him on the day he wants it.