ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wales (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/)
-   -   Help!! Speed cameras (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/382231-help-speed-cameras.html)

Mr Wallace 24 November 2004 07:10 AM

Help!! Speed cameras

Does anyone know if you can get caught in the dark with a mobile camera van?

Andy

corradoboy 24 November 2004 07:16 AM

AFAIK no. When they're out at night they usually have patrol cars to pull people over nearby. Good chance they'll get you doing 36 in a 30, but the guy who's just nicked your neighbours DVD player and is taking it back to his crack den in your neighbours new Merc will be OK as long as he stays below 30 ;) :rolleyes:

richieh 24 November 2004 08:57 AM

err http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ia/3725806.stm
perhaps the new vans (transit size) dont have this equipment
fingers crossed for you m8
richie

Chip 24 November 2004 10:29 AM

Apparently there is a trial nightime camera being used in South Wales at the mo. This was on BBC news some time ago.

Chip

scubascooby 24 November 2004 10:40 AM

I can't believe it is legal to park a van at the side of a busy dual carriageway and spend long periods sitting in the back of it.

It's certainly not a sensible thing to do.

real_welshboy 24 November 2004 10:59 AM

Where did this happen?

pippyrips 24 November 2004 12:53 PM

i have been in the dark, albeit with street lamps round. I think they also have ir cameras now that can read in pitch black - though they are not comon place at the mo.

Group Captain Smudger 24 November 2004 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=corradoboy]Good chance they'll get you doing 36 in a 30, but the guy who's just nicked your neighbours DVD player and is taking it back to his crack den in your neighbours new Merc will be OK as long as he stays below 30 ;) QUOTE]

I was thinking along the same lines whilst watching crimewatch last night. The bizzies are after a silver coloured lorry that might have be responsible for a RTA involving a fatality of a young lad and a three-year-old murder inquiry where they had the perps car on cctv. But they weren't breaking the speed limit were they.

Also the a55holes who sit in those "Safety Camera Partnership" vans are often not even police officers.

KJD Mk1 24 November 2004 02:48 PM

Yes they have the kit available to read your speed in the dark, but as one of them once said to me its not fair sport !!!!!!! read into that what you will but maybe just doing people in the daylight is no longer sport enough.

Mr Wallace 24 November 2004 05:16 PM

It wasen t me it was my son, it was along the side of the steelworks in Ebbw Vale , it is a 30 zone and he was well above the limit!! thanks for all replys and i will keep you all posted if we hear anything in the comming weeks. ,perhaps its too late!!)

ANDY

richie,7,RA,spec C 24 November 2004 05:51 PM

i'd buy him a sincliar c5 ,that will keep him under the speed limit m8

Scrappydoo2003 24 November 2004 08:13 PM

Saw one the other evening on the A48 between Bonvilston and St Nicholas in the dark, and wondered the same question.. It'll be a real bugger if they can..!

Mr Wallace 24 November 2004 08:27 PM

Had too edit last post just incase the little git sees it!!!!!!

Karl sti 24 November 2004 08:45 PM

Yes definitely, my mate was done about 3 weeks ago 5:50 AM on his way to work. Was on the A48 going into Newport passed the Tesco and after the gatso. A few streetlights about. He’s asked for the photo, I’ll let you know how dark it was.

Mr Wallace 24 November 2004 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Karl sti
Yes definitely, my mate was done about 3 weeks ago 5:50 AM on his way to work. Was on the A48 going into Newport passed the Tesco and after the gatso. A few streetlights about. He’s asked for the photo, I’ll let you know how dark it was.

Cheers Karl give him the bad news when he gets in

Andy

scoobyjimbo 25 November 2004 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Scrappydoo2003
Saw one the other evening on the A48 between Bonvilston and St Nicholas in the dark, and wondered the same question.. It'll be a real bugger if they can..!

I was told by a Supt in the dyfed powys force that only a few forces (i.e. the ones that can afford it), have this technology and that most dont use it as it is not 100% accurate.
You takes your chance i spose..

J

Dave uk blue mica 25 November 2004 11:50 PM

you'll generally know within 7 days mate if you've been had.

Mr Wallace 03 December 2004 05:07 PM

They do work at night!!!!

We now know that these mobile cameras work at night, as he has had the sumons through the door....(B******s) 59 in a 30 oopppps,

Andy

baz sti 8 03 December 2004 05:15 PM

59 in a 60? or is that 30;)

baz

Mr Wallace 03 December 2004 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by baz sti 8
59 in a 60? or is that 30;)

baz

yes sorry baz it was a 30!

Dave uk blue mica 04 December 2004 05:45 PM

could be looking at a possible ban for that mate

scrappydoo 05 December 2004 01:17 AM

They defo work in the dark guys depending on whether they have the equipment with them. I saw one about a year ago at 2am parked on Newport road with his back window open and a camera inside, there were no coppers anywhere in sight, just aswell i was doing 30mph, but still, 2 bloody AM!! couldnt believe it.

5903 13 December 2004 10:04 AM

Guys

Chip's right, there is one being tested in South Wales. But it hasn't be signed off for official use yet so they're unable to prosecute.

If you need a Jammer or Advice, come and see me at the New Showroom opening in Merthyr Mawr next week. We've got all makes to suit every budget in stock.

Cheers

Nils (Speedsafe)