ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Do we have any Rain-X users on here? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/381710-do-we-have-any-rain-x-users-on-here.html)

DazV 22 November 2004 02:07 PM

Do we have any Rain-X users on here?

I've never tried it, but recently have heard good things about it from a couple of people now.

Anyone give it the thumbs up ?

OllyK 22 November 2004 02:09 PM

If you clean your screen properly first and apply it properly (i.e. don't put too much on at a time) it is excellent.

Comper100 22 November 2004 02:10 PM

Yep have used it on all my cars and i love it. Some cars it doesnt like, but i've found it takes well to new windows better.

You get funny looks on the motorway when its pi55ing down and the wipers aren't on! :D

Well recomended, but reapply when the wipers start to judder!

Comper100

DazV 22 November 2004 02:16 PM

Cheers Olly & Comper100!

How long does it typically last between applicatiions ?

Diesel 22 November 2004 02:18 PM

Oops - guess that application tip means I shouldnt be squirting it liberally on the windscreen then!

Works well at high speed which wipers dont - perfect!

thundertiger 22 November 2004 02:20 PM

can last about 1 month, dependant on weather conditions.
as used by aircrafts (same technlogy)

rain is blown off the screen abouve 40mph.

great for going past people at about 70 though (so i've heard)

BB:)

Comper100 22 November 2004 02:24 PM

I think once you have given it is first application, it never fully wears off, but i redo it every 2 months or 1 month if i'm feeling keen! :)

Comper100

OllyK 22 November 2004 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by DazV
Cheers Olly & Comper100!

How long does it typically last between applicatiions ?

A couple of months or so during summer and more like a month in winter.

messiah 22 November 2004 02:42 PM

Been using the PIAA silicone wipers - pretty good but quite expensive.

Big Daz 22 November 2004 03:37 PM

Yep, I think my windscreen is coated with it, never have to use the wipers above 50mph anyway :D. Agree with the funny looks post above.
Daz

Graz 22 November 2004 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel
Oops - guess that application tip means I shouldnt be squirting it liberally on the windscreen then!

Definitely not! I split a little bit on my old car and it made the paint fade. Keep it away from paintwork.

Aside from that I've been using it for ages, very good when you can be bothered to keep re-applying it. Does lose it's effectiveness after a month or so and I'm lazy :rolleyes: It's great being able to drive about without the wipers on.

As mentioned already ensure the glass is clean before putting on the Rain-X.

richiewong 22 November 2004 04:49 PM

Somebody posted a thread stating it rotted rubber windscreen surrounds but a big :thumb: from me.
Never had any problems and does exactly what it says on the bottle :D

Adrian F 22 November 2004 07:16 PM

I used it once and found it made the windscreen wipers leave a haze behind every wipe which cleared in a fraction of a second but was a real problem with on coming head lights and once used i couldnt get it fully removed. got a clearer vision in the wet before its use with wipers and Auto Glym glass polish.

BOB.T 22 November 2004 07:35 PM

I found it left a mist on my screen as above, it sort of blurs your vision for a moment but, clears within seconds. I find the screen is cleaner than before though so I'm happy, besides which if I put my hand in my pocket and got some new wiper blades I think the problem would go away!:D

I'd recomend it!:D

mart360 22 November 2004 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian F
I used it once and found it made the windscreen wipers leave a haze behind every wipe which cleared in a fraction of a second but was a real problem with on coming head lights and once used i couldnt get it fully removed. got a clearer vision in the wet before its use with wipers and Auto Glym glass polish.

this is usually a sign that you didnt polish it all off, it demands a very good polishing off regime..

the method i use is..

clean windows with windowleen and kitchen roll,

make sure no black crap comes off..

let window dry thoroughly

apply rainx in small circ motions covering one half of the screen..

the repeat for the other..

then polish it off first half... then the second..

then sit in car and check for missed bits...

reapply to any missed bits..

the only downside was under certain lighting conditions.. (dusk) & streetlamps it can make the window opaque when covered in water droplets, however a flick of the wipers restores clarity

Mart

andypugh2000 22 November 2004 07:49 PM

I dont leave home without it ;)

andy