ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Christmas shopping for a scooby (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/381538-christmas-shopping-for-a-scooby.html)

bugbec 21 November 2004 08:52 PM

Christmas shopping for a scooby

What can I buy for my boyfriend and his scooby for xmas?

I'm really stuck!! He spends all his time cleaning it - 4 hours today!!!!! - must be mad!!

I've got about £150 to spend so come on lads if you could buy something what would it be!! (it won't go far but i'm sure there's something!)

Cheers

bugbec 21 November 2004 09:05 PM

Anyone?!!!

Iwan 21 November 2004 09:09 PM

Give em chance, they were probably all watching Top Gear when you posted that! :)

Subaru team jacket?
Lots of beer?
Rallying day (nearer £300 for this)?

Brun 21 November 2004 09:19 PM

What mods has he already got for his Scoob. What age is it. Any pics to give us a clue? :)

chris's scooby 21 November 2004 09:40 PM

If he likes cleaning it you could get him some Swissol stuff. For the Teamwear try www.swrt.com

corradoboy 21 November 2004 09:50 PM

Swissol starter kit ? Mudflaps ? TRU front splitter ? Front & rear droplinks and a geometry set-up ? Some uprated brake pads ? Rally graphics ?

Pics and spec would make it easier, but if he spends ALL his time cleaning the car, forget the pics ;) :D ( joke ! )

Do Shell do gift vouchers :confused:

kbsub 21 November 2004 09:54 PM

what about one of these :)
think theres a bloke on ere sells em on ebay ;) ;)

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...fengine003.jpg

richiewong 21 November 2004 10:10 PM

A knocklink :rolleyes:

http://www.brdevelopments.com/link.html

scoobydog 21 November 2004 10:27 PM

How about the new book out on the scoob. Think it's called the Subaru Impreza Story or something like that.
Car related DVDs
Cleaning stuff
Fog light guards (£25)
PPP (£1500!!!!)
Back box (£??????)
Prodrive springs (£200ish + fitting)
Quick shift (not sure how much)

bugbec 22 November 2004 05:11 PM

Thanks for all the replies - he's got a 99 estate turbo.

Its already got leather interior, tinted windows, spoiler,sunroof, mudflaps, alloys, Upgraded brake pads (i think) and it's navy blue,

Iwan - will get him beer anyway!

Any more ideas now?

Harry_Boy 22 November 2004 05:18 PM

Cheap Pocket PC based SatNav?

dj219957 22 November 2004 05:27 PM

knock link sounds good to me - perfect price too. He will prob enjoy fitting it too as its not hard.

Andy

bugbec 22 November 2004 05:29 PM

I'm a girl!!!!

Come on simple terms - whats a knock link?

Jim_B 23 November 2004 10:10 AM

Click on the br developments web link above - they have info on the knock link.

If he hasnt done anything to the suspension I would get him an adjustable 22mm rear anti-roll bar.... Makes the car handle much better & costs around £100. Some alloy drop links with it would take you to around the £150 mark.

RB5201 23 November 2004 10:13 AM

A knocklink can basically protect his engine, small box with leds on which will light up if there any det (fuel exploding rather than burning). IMO only essential if engine mods/a new exhaust without any cats has ben fitted. Has he got standard exhaust (two small pipes from rear of car), if so a new back box would be ideal, very popular and often first mod. This would look like a single round pipe, prob about 3-4 inches in diameter, but more importantly would give his car the classic flat 4 rumble(will sound great!!) :)
What does he clean his car with, if its cheap halfrauds stuff then upgrade this with swissol stuff. Starter packs can be had for sround £100 and will include plenty to keep him busy with. Cant get this everywhere though, scoobyworld good place to buy from, 01509853502, plus helpful friendly service :) Sounds expensive but it is very good
Other good things would be new mats, quickshift(less movement between gear shifts, therefore quicker changes!)maybe get his car booked in somewhere which does 4 wheel laser alignement(will improve cars handling). Just a few ideas, hope this helps :)

kadd 23 November 2004 12:29 PM

Check out www.scoobyclinic.com for some ideas, they have product range online.

EddScott 23 November 2004 12:43 PM

How about a turbo boost gauge and an A Pillar pod to mount it in?

You can get an Autometer Ultralite Boost guage that will match the dash lights at night pretty well and where the windscreen meets the front doors that metal bit is the A Pillar. Your BF can fit the thing in a hour or so with help on here.

Its something to watch (the needle moving back and forth) and a bit of a talking point when in the car. Much better than boring old knocklink that although something to talk about looks kinda plain and boring. However a knocklink is a pretty handy thing to have none the less (I got one)

Maybe a dump valve? Does it make a chuffing noise when changing gear? many opinions for and against these things and a bit more of a personal choice.

EddScott 23 November 2004 12:48 PM

Look here

On the left of the steering wheel is what a knocklink looks like although you can't quite see the LEDs. On the right above the air vent is the boost gauge and little pillar pod. My pods a bit naff and falls off so get on that goes the full length of the A Pillar.

In the middle are 3 more guages. These I bought from US for £96 delivered and about £65 for the pod they sit in. In UK I guess the Boost gauge would be about £50 ish and the pod £50 ish again.

http://freespace.virgin.net/edd.scott/000_0480.JPG

/edit - oh, pedals are quite easy to fit but only buy STI genuine ones not dodgy Halfords own brand. STI pedals are quite expensive but add Kudos for saying STI in nice pink letters (:rolleyes: ) :D

You could buy the gauge and pod and with the bit left over buy a MOMO gear knob to match the steering wheel. Or the mats which are Autostyle mats and can be tailored with different colours and symbols such as STI or 555.

Theres enough to be going on with ;)

jasonius 23 November 2004 01:02 PM

How about an alloy gear knob? ;)

I bought a boxed/new genuine Subaru one off ebay recently- fits perfectly (screw-on) £35 deliverd.

I believe the guy still has one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

It looks a lot better than in the photo, great finnish!

My new knob looks great............ooooooooooo er!!! :eek:
jason

bugbec 23 November 2004 08:19 PM

Thanks for the help guys!!!!

I don't think that cleaning things would be worth it because he's an 'auto glym' bloke whose really sad coz if he drops his sponge on the floor - he puts it in the bin!!!!!
:cuckoo:
You've given me some fab ideas but anymore would be great!!

chris's scooby 23 November 2004 08:41 PM

Can you post a pic of his car so we can get some more ideas?

jasonius 23 November 2004 08:41 PM

Bugbec,

Binning a £2 sponge after dropping is a sensible thing to do when you consider how much a total respray would cost!

It's a man thing, my wife thinks I'm fanatical on this very subject!

Jason (aka tight arse)

bugbec 23 November 2004 08:47 PM

Will see if I can get a piccy of it!!

I can see your point jasonius about the sponge I would be really pi**ed off if I scratched my bug!!

blot 23 November 2004 09:00 PM

book him on a track day

www.bookatrack.com
or
www.javelin-motorsport.co.uk

Then after he has realised that throwing his car round the track is far more fun, he will see the light and stop cleaning it.

RB5201 24 November 2004 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by bugbec
I don't think that cleaning things would be worth it because he's an 'auto glym' bloke whose really sad coz if he drops his sponge on the floor - he puts it in the bin!!!!!

We all do that, dont we? :) The swissol stuff is a much better product than auto glym, really is in a league of its own, never heard any bad comments about it(apart from the price, but as the saying goes you get what you pay for!)
At this rate your going to more about scoobys and modding them than he does LOL :D

VTEC to Turbo 24 November 2004 01:24 PM

First of all is he into modifying his car?

Some are some aren't!

It has already been said but the first mod has to be the Backbox. 150pounds will get you a good secondhand unit. (I would not complain if I got one from my girlfriend). The best starting point would be either a Hayward & Scott or a Scoobyworld unit, these are effectively the same thing but due to companmy issues they don't work together anymore. This unit is the Impreza benchmark for the first modification.

(picture here)
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/cgi-bin...8/22/index.htm

It is Stainless Steel - so will not rust - looks shiney - and has a single 3.5" tail pipe that sounds great - not too loud though.

I phoned hayward and Scott directly the other week and they had a second hand unit for a classic in very good condition for 150pounds. (no I don't work for them) a little over my budget but they may still have it.

Contact details: Units 10 & 11 Nobel Square • Burnt Mills Industrial Estate • Basildon • Essex SS13 1LS
Tel (0)1268 727256 • Fax (0)1268 590772 • Email sales@haywardandscott.co.uk

Knocklinks I feel are more for imported/modified cars as petrol can be an issue - I personnally wouldn't bother on a standard car.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Musicman 24 November 2004 08:54 PM

Hi Guys, thanks for giving my girl so many cool ideas. I'm totally up for modding my car which is standard apart from tints and crystal indicators so lets hope she get's me something sweet. Now, what can I get for her Beetle....

bugbec 24 November 2004 09:17 PM

Musicman your not suppose to reply!!!!!

But...give him some ideas for my newbie!!!:)

RB5201 26 November 2004 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Musicman
Now, what can I get for her Beetle....

£500, maybe a bit more if its a new one :lol:

Fulham71 26 November 2004 10:45 AM

He shouldnt be using a sponge anyway !
A wash cloth that can be machine washed after every use is the way to go ! Also dry with a big old bath towel washed without conditioner & Then can be machine washed after every use too !

Keep grit off the car !