ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   STi 05 or EVO 8? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/381506-sti-05-or-evo-8-a.html)

Chester 21 November 2004 06:45 PM

STi 05 or EVO 8?

Hi!

Have finally managed to get the funds together and convinced the wife to let me get a new car!:)

I took a test drive in an Evo 260 yesterday and was pretty impressed with what I saw. At 23K with 3 years servicing it seems good value as well.

I've got a test drive in an STi booked for thursday. I know that this is a scooby forum, but is it really worth the extra cash? A lot will depend on the test drive I know, but I'd be grateful if any of you could give me some pointers before I go.

Cheers

chris's scooby 21 November 2004 06:54 PM

You're best to do a search on here to be honest, there have been a number of threads on here over the last few days about the 2 cars.

S.B. 21 November 2004 06:59 PM

Its really a case of drive them both and buy what you prefer :D
We don't all own scoobys ;)

bigfish 21 November 2004 07:18 PM

I've tried both, found the Evo to be a lot harder on the suspension (wife reckons she would need a sports bra!!!) than the STI, the steering was really positive , but I understand that they have re-worked the front end and changed the steering on the 05 so maybe it will make a difference, also the STI has a 6 speed gearbox and the 260 Evo only has a 5 speed like the WRX. My preference was for the Scoob.

john banks 21 November 2004 07:21 PM

Good discounts on the 260, check www.lancerregister.com, don't pay 23 for it.

T5NYW 21 November 2004 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by S.B.
Its really a case of drive them both and buy what you prefer :D
We don't all own scoobys ;)

Agreed :D

Both are very capable cars ;) and as said above, Mitzy are doing some very good deals at the moment. It can only be your choice at the end of the day :D

How you use the Car, running cost etc will be the deciding factors. Both have pro's a con's. try the Mitsubsi Lancers register site :D you will have to, as any web BB, ignore some of the provardo and and my penis is bigger than his stuff ;) but generally find some good info on both site

My own Bias preference would be the Subaru ;) but yould expect that on a Subaru site :rolleyes:

whichever you get you wont be disapionted :D

Tony

Mad Scientist 21 November 2004 08:47 PM

Bloke over the road from me just got the Mitshi for £19k.

M3 Compact 21 November 2004 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
Bloke over the road from me just got the Mitshi for £19k.

Where from?

I was offered an sti for £25K in a Subaru dealer yesterday, too much for me and I'm not convinced by the WRX. £19K for a Mitzy sounds interesting.

Simon.

BMWRallying.com

TheVoices 21 November 2004 09:47 PM

Just look on autotrader web site,stacks of pre reg 260's for £19995 and probably a bit less if no px. Seem like excellent value or you could look at Euro imports from Alliance Prestige, WRX's £16495 (05 MY) STi's £21k ?

Chester 22 November 2004 02:57 PM

Thanks for the help. 20K for EVO is very tempting!
Just have to wait and see how the STi goes on thursday.

Cheers!

messiah 22 November 2004 03:43 PM

Local Dealer is advertising the 04 STI at £22,495.

Smatt 22 November 2004 07:57 PM

If in time you intend to get the springs changed on STi you will find very little difference the to an Evo. As above DO Not pay £23k for an Evo. Max £21k and as somewhere else mentioned you can probably get a high spoiler thrown in. The pre-registered one's do not have the 3 year servicing included. It is only for the first registered. This is why they are cheaper. I was told this by a dealer, as my wife was looking at one. He said £21 ish and would do something with the spoiler. If we let him pre-register it £19.5k but no servicing. That suited him for some dealer dodge, I can't remember the exact reason.
Sounds a better deal than Sparshatt's who have an New 04 Black STi with PPP an a set of 18" Gold OZ & a Prodrive knob for £28995.