ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Low energy light bulbs, are they any good? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/381241-low-energy-light-bulbs-are-they-any-good.html)

Ajax 20 November 2004 02:46 PM

Low energy light bulbs, are they any good?

Low energy light bulbs, are they any good?

Which ones to buy? And where from?

I need to replace 60W and 40W candle bulbs mainly.

I saw this offer today
https://www.offershop.co.uk/index.cf...ER=8040&PUB=23

Low Energy Candle Light Bulbs
Only £21.99
Low Energy Classic Candle Light Bulbs - buy one pack of four and get another pack of four free!

Can anybody better it???

Ajax, Paul

Poor Guy 20 November 2004 03:06 PM

they take time to warm up. they were giving them away free darn sarf earlier this year.

Suresh 20 November 2004 03:07 PM

Tried them in the living room and didn't like them .
The 'yellow softtone' Philips ones gave a greeny light that kind of flickered like a cheap florescent tube.

HTH

Suresh

scoobypreza 20 November 2004 03:12 PM

We use them in our hall and landing and they are ideal.
We've been in the house 5 years and we've never had to change them!

They take a few seconds to come on and a little longer to warm up but the light is just right for where we use them.
I wouldn't think they would be bright enough for a main living room.

cath

Ajax 20 November 2004 03:26 PM

Just found another offer, they are for the back room so not a major problem.

Interesting to hear that they are not the killer product they are made out to be.

http://www.mailshop.co.uk/dmro_produ...roductid=LB305

£19.95 for eight

Thanks for your replies

Ajax, Paul

AndyC_772 20 November 2004 04:31 PM

They're never supposed to be a 'killer product', they're a green alternative - you're supposed to buy them because they're low energy, not because they work any better than a conventional bulb :)

I have one in the downstairs bog and... well, who cares what the light is like in there. It gives a rather cold, unwelcoming feel - but hey, if it saves 0.000001% of the CO2 that my scooby chucks out then it's worth it, right? :rolleyes:

Nick 20 November 2004 04:45 PM

I've tried low energy lamp bulbs a few times. I have one on the stairs which is useless. Turn the light on to go up the stairs at night & you can hard see where you're going for about 30 secs. I also have 40w candle lamp bulbs in my dining & living rooms. The energy saving lights are bigger in size & look horrible. Also, when they say that x watts = xx watts in standard bulbs, they're lying. The "equivalent" bulbs are never as bright.

paulr 20 November 2004 05:20 PM

Got them in every room,from Ikea.Never had one go yet.

KJD Mk1 20 November 2004 05:27 PM

I have used these all over the house and outside as well for the past 6 years and never had to replace any ,also my electric bill reduced as well.:)
The phillips ones that look like a normal bulb are pritty good although is is true that they can take a little time to warm up but we are talking seconds
ikia sell them and with a vast range of wattage are as cheap as chips, give a few a go and see for yourself.

David Lock 20 November 2004 05:31 PM

Agree with "equivalent" wattage claim. Rubbish - they always look dimmer than the equivalent. We use them around garden patio and they are fine plus if you go to bed pi$$ed and forget to turn them off then you don't wake up in the middle of the night worrying about meter going into red rpm :D

andypugh2000 20 November 2004 05:46 PM

All this energy saving talk is total ****e, they rip you off for the bulbs in the first place making you think you are saving money but you have just paid 10 times the going rate for a bloody light bulb, where is the sense in that :confused:

Also people who put a brick in their bog cistern to save water, what happens when you drop a battleship that needs half a dozen flushes to get rid of, well im afraid thats bolloxed that plan!! then you look out of the window and Mr smith next door has his sprinkler going all summer whilst you think you are saving the planet by doing this crap!!

andy

mattsan 20 November 2004 05:52 PM

:lol:

KJD Mk1 20 November 2004 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by andypugh2000
All this energy saving talk is total ****e, they rip you off for the bulbs in the first place making you think you are saving money but you have just paid 10 times the going rate for a bloody light bulb, where is the sense in that :confused:

Also people who put a brick in their bog cistern to save water, what happens when you drop a battleship that needs half a dozen flushes to get rid of, well im afraid thats bolloxed that plan!! then you look out of the window and Mr smith next door has his sprinkler going all summer whilst you think you are saving the planet by doing this crap!!

andy

Who said anything about saving the planet?
And if by some chance it does help the environment .. well that cant be a bad thing can it!
I dont need to look at mr smith next door to see a sprinkler going all summer cos i`ve got my own.

Adrian F 20 November 2004 06:54 PM

I use them in places where they are on for a long time if you turn them on and off regularly you shorten the life of the cheap low enegy lamps and the expensive ones are to expensive IMO.

As to the wattage they lie to make them look better than they are always think of it as the next lamp down e.g. if it claims to equal a 60W it actually equals a 40W. Like all things they have there uses.

When they became popular in the earlier 90's i had sales people trying to market them to me at work as saving money but i could never make the figures work out unless i was paying some body a fortune to change them.

Clarebabes 20 November 2004 07:00 PM

I think they're alright. Thanks for asking :D

andypugh2000 20 November 2004 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by kjdmk1
Who said anything about saving the planet?
And if by some chance it does help the environment .. well that cant be a bad thing can it!
I dont need to look at mr smith next door to see a sprinkler going all summer cos i`ve got my own.

Spend spend spend, love life, have the things you want, die happy thats what i say, live now cos life too short to be an eco warrior :D:D

too many people save for their retirement, why :confused: spend now, die later :D

andy

Echo 20 November 2004 08:34 PM

There have been concerns about the RF emissions of these bulbs, I know of certain people that put them in fine wire mesh (that's grounded).

Spoon 20 November 2004 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by kjdmk1

Are you Mr Smith then perhaps?

Oh and I've had the bulbs outside around the garage for nearly 10 years and last night 1 popped for the first time.

hutton_d 20 November 2004 09:42 PM

I rarely get ordinary light bulbs go and when they're 6 or 8 for a pound then I can't see the sense in spending a fortune on a *low energy* bulb. As others have said, they always look too dim for me (or is that me too dim to ... oh never mind ...) ...

Dave

KJD Mk1 21 November 2004 01:42 AM

[QUOTE=andypugh2000]Spend spend spend, love life, have the things you want, die happy thats what i say, live now cos life too short to be an eco warrior :D:D

Yes Andy I can live with that:)

Ajax 22 November 2004 12:27 AM

Thank you all very much for your comments, I have made my mind up and saved £20.00

Dam near a good top up of Optimax that, I love Scoobynet.

The Voice of reason ;) LOL.

Ajax, Paul