ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   TSL FIRESTORM V AFTERBURNER VORTEX (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/380557-tsl-firestorm-v-afterburner-vortex.html)

herbie77 17 November 2004 11:52 PM

TSL FIRESTORM V AFTERBURNER VORTEX

I'M TRYING TO DECIDE WHICH EXHAUST (DOWNPIPE BACK) TO PUT ON MY MY00 TURBO.........AT THE MOMENT IT'S GOING TO BE A FIRESTORM OR AN AFTERBURNER.

HAS ANYONE GOT EITHER OF THESE FITTED?

HAS ANYONE GOT ANY SOUND FILES OF THE FIRESTORM?

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND ANY OTHER EXHAUSTS ....MY BUDGET IS MORE LIKE £400-£450, SO I'LL HAVE TO FORGET THE BLITZ!

ANY OTHER ADVICE WELCOME!

CHEERS.

Brun 17 November 2004 11:56 PM

The only advice i have to you is that soundfiles are no good to you. You need to hear one in person :)

herbie77 17 November 2004 11:59 PM

THAT'S FAIR ENOUGH MATE, CHEERS

ScoobyDoo69 18 November 2004 12:03 AM

i'd say afterburner:D all the firestorms i've heard have had some rasp to them, whereas the afterburner retains its bassy characteristics throughout!

ScoobyDoo69

little_idiot 18 November 2004 12:21 AM

not heard the TSL but i have the Vortex and it's a really, nice deep and crisp burble that will happily distort when pushed in a way that makes you grin

James

RS Grant 18 November 2004 12:24 AM

Had a Firestorm on my MY99... Was a lovely sound, deep and 'burbley' (is that even a word :p) and then the higher up the revs you get the more of a high pitched flat four rip you get from it.

Excellent exhaust, very well made too. Agree that sound clips are poo, you need to hear both personally to make a judgement on which would sound better to you. :cool:

Cheers,
Grant

Tentenths 18 November 2004 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by herbie77
THAT'S FAIR ENOUGH MATE, CHEERS

Agree with what others have said about sound files vs hearing in person.

But www.scoobyworld.co.uk have various sound files in their exhausts section if you want to have an initial listen.

Tentenths

PS No need to shout (BLOCK CAPS) ;)

Barnesy 18 November 2004 03:45 PM

Afterburner all the way, deep rumble, burbles, pops ,bangs and spits flames!

dogpole 18 November 2004 06:21 PM

have you considered the scoobyclinic box, soakdens got one on his and its bloody loud, real deep sound.

DP
:)

herbie77 18 November 2004 06:56 PM

dp, i haven't seen scoobyclinics exhausts......i'll have a look into them, cheers!

KJD Mk1 18 November 2004 07:09 PM

My vote goes to the afterburner with the angled exit:)

herbie77 18 November 2004 07:12 PM

i don't fancy the angled exit.....if i went for the afterburner it'd have to be the straight version

RoRu 18 November 2004 07:19 PM

HKS hyper muffler every day of the week not only does it look/sound good it's probably the best flowing exhaust around.

terry3333 20 November 2004 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by herbie77
I'M TRYING TO DECIDE WHICH EXHAUST (DOWNPIPE BACK) TO PUT ON MY MY00 TURBO.........AT THE MOMENT IT'S GOING TO BE A FIRESTORM OR AN AFTERBURNER.

HAS ANYONE GOT EITHER OF THESE FITTED?

HAS ANYONE GOT ANY SOUND FILES OF THE FIRESTORM?

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND ANY OTHER EXHAUSTS ....MY BUDGET IS MORE LIKE £400-£450, SO I'LL HAVE TO FORGET THE BLITZ!

ANY OTHER ADVICE WELCOME!

CHEERS.

hi herb,

where are you based ? if anywhere near chatham kent then you are welcome to have a listen to my my00 with firestorm fitted ...

terry

Marky-San 20 November 2004 11:28 PM

Firestorm baby - its one to wake the neighbours up. 2 streets away that is:D

herbie77 21 November 2004 12:28 PM

i went for the group N, that's loud enough for me. the firestorm sounds good though but the cockpit noise is a bit much for me

MAFFA 21 November 2004 02:47 PM

I've got a custom Afterburner 4.5" exit 3" pipe backbox joining the rest of my Scoobymania system. Got it made by Hayward & Scott. Scoobyclinic etc... supply the same backbox but in 2.5" which is standard & I believe are all built by H&S. It's actually cheaper to go direct to them & avoid the mark-up as mine was £250 (inc VAT) custom made & I believe Scoobyclinic charge around £280 for the backbox.

MAFFA :)

MAFFA 21 November 2004 02:47 PM

Oh & it's exceptionally LOUD!!! :D:D:D LOL

Musicman 27 November 2004 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Barnesy
Afterburner all the way, deep rumble, burbles, pops ,bangs and spits flames!

Barnesy, maybe you ar someone else can help me with this -

I had a really annoying argument with my house mate "Skoda Kid" and one of my other mates "Lawnmower man". Twas a typical beer-enhanced argument with undertones of "my skoda's faster than your scoob". They reckon there's no point in getting an afterburner vortex cat back exhaust system because I wouldn't feel any difference in power, and that the claims on the scoobyworld website are a load of crap. They reckon the rolling road graphs don't prove anything and that I might as well just get any old exhaust that sounds louder than stock because that's all I'll get from the Vortex anyway.

Surely this can't be true! Can it? I also want to get some sort of induction kit and a dumpvalve (it may be all whoosh but I love it), so should I listen to them and force my self to buy a Peco big-bore-4 off dangerous Allan's nova salvage yard or are the stats on the website true and/or do you feel any difference in power or response with the Afterburner fitted?

Jamesemt 27 November 2004 10:30 PM

I have an 03 WRX with a Blitz fitted so this may be of no use...

BUT...

changing the BB on my car made a huge difference - it really really livened the car up - I would never have believed that such a small item could increase the power so much!!!!

Gear Head 27 November 2004 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by terry3333
hi herb,

where are you based ? if anywhere near chatham kent then you are welcome to have a listen to my my00 with firestorm fitted ...

terry

Where abouts are you in Chatham m8. I live there to!