ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anyone 'done' the Stratosphere in Vegas.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/380549-anyone-done-the-stratosphere-in-vegas.html)

RON 17 November 2004 11:34 PM

Anyone 'done' the Stratosphere in Vegas....

Just wondering what it was like if anyones done it, and on a technical note, how fast upwards do you need to accelerate to get to 4G?? cos thats what it gets up to apparently.

Cheers.

Ron.

Brun 17 November 2004 11:36 PM

Parents get back from Vegas tomorrow. I'll let you know :)

Buzzer 17 November 2004 11:56 PM

*Sonic* has done it i think :)

Buckrogers 18 November 2004 12:40 AM

Went up to the top, but it was too windy to go on the ride!

More security going up to the top than at the airport!

kend 18 November 2004 08:53 AM

Went to the top,

then had a nice meal in the restaurant instead.

As already mentioned, lots of security, metal detectors and such before you can go up the tower.

scoobymoo 18 November 2004 09:12 AM

I have been up there and did all the thrill rides. The roller coaster is pretty tame the only novelty is that its so high up. The big shot is pretty good it shoots you up pretty fast and is the best ride of its type I have been on. The X scream thing though is a whole different ball game it is absolutely terrifying. I am a bit nervous of heights at the best of times but thought how bad can it be? You can't see it till the last minute when you queue up for it (you can from the observation deck but we went straight to the ride) and when I saw I genuinely wanted to back out but there was such a queue behind us I would have looked a right tit. We then got the front seat! It shoots you over the side on the end of a long crane thing and brakes you at the last minute the front car actually goes off the end and then when you think its all over the crane drop from near horizontal to about 45 degrees leaving you looking 500ft to the ground below. It is the only thrill ride I have been on (and I've been on a lot here and in America) where I genuinely felt terrified (I was less scared when I span my P1 on a motorway slip road). I was shaking when I got off and immediately had to get a strawberry daquiri (the only alcohol you could get up there). You would have to pay me a lot of money to get me back on it again, once was definately enough.

*Sonic* 18 November 2004 10:12 AM

One Word

Fantastic :D :D :D

Last Year on X scream a girl *wet* herself on it, then it broke, and a guy came out welding some bolts back on :D

Had only been open a few weeks

Going again in a few weeks :)

Cant wait, all them dirrrrteh Hoes :D :D

Leslie 18 November 2004 10:29 AM

I'll have a guess, 128 feet/sec/sec. ajm will put me right if thats wrong.

Les :)

Nat 18 November 2004 11:21 AM

I've done all the Stratosphere tower rides in Jan this year...

What one is supposed to be 4G? Certainly none i went on were.

New one opened since Jan '04?

The X Scream ride is seriously worrying though!

Other good rides in Vegas - Speed at Nasca cafe - Linear Induction Motor launched coaster giving 0-60mph in under 3 sec :D

The Coaster at New york New york hotel is ok too, esp at night :)

Nat 18 November 2004 11:25 AM

Hhhhm, site says the big shot is the 4G one, i'm not convinced :P

X SCREAM (bottom pic)
http://www.stratospherehotel.com/ima...img_thrill.jpg
"At 866 feet, X Scream is the world's third highest (the only two higher are the other two on the tower) thrill ride. Shaped like a giant teeter-totter, X Scream is an open vehicle that propels riders head-first, 27 feet over the edge of the Stratosphere Tower and dangles them weightlessly above the Strip before pulling it's riders back and over again for more!"

Kyl3cook 18 November 2004 11:26 AM

I went up last july but *it was too windy* (cough cough) so I couldn't go on the rides.....damn :D......now, where's that toilet.

Brit_in_Japan 18 November 2004 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by RON
Just wondering what it was like if anyones done it, and on a technical note, how fast upwards do you need to accelerate to get to 4G?? cos thats what it gets up to apparently.

Cheers.

Ron.

To accelerate at 4G, you've given the answer! 4 x 9.81 m/s^2 = 39.24 m/s^2

Don't ask me what it is in imperial units, I'm not old school ;)

J4CKO 18 November 2004 05:57 PM

Jesus, that looks evil, how does it compare to Oblivion at Alton Towers because that (at least on the first run of the day) makes me pap myself, not litterally, well maybe just a little....

*Sonic* 18 November 2004 06:16 PM

Oblivion is **** in comparison
:)

Tiggs 18 November 2004 07:03 PM

Oblivion is **** in comparison to falling over your laces.....big que and over in 5 secs.......crap.

T

RON 18 November 2004 09:37 PM

Cheers guys, looks like it'll be around easter time, I'll see what I think when I get there....

I hope it's windy!!

Jap2Scrap 18 November 2004 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggs
Oblivion is **** in comparison to falling over your laces.....big que and over in 5 secs.......crap.

T

:D tickled me that

J4CKO 18 November 2004 10:46 PM

Yes but what a 5 seconds, oh and go in October, no Queue.