ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Powersteering pump failure? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/379998-powersteering-pump-failure.html)

Jolly Green Monster 16 November 2004 09:47 AM

Powersteering pump failure?

no assistance on the steering??

had a leak on the reservior so fluid did get a little low and the pump squealled a couple of times and now topped up but no assistance?

I would expect the pump the seize and the alternator belt to come off etc??

Used the fluid recommended in Halfords to top it up and as it was leaking it used a fair amount so possible the fluid is wrong and too thick?

Anyone else had ps problems and can share them/ help

Thanks

Simon

Tone Loc 16 November 2004 06:18 PM

Only problem i've had was when the bearings in the pump went. The pump got so load it was undriveable, occasionally got really heavy steering too...... that was a result of 1 1/2 hours of dounts a few winters back in the trafford centre car park after a lovely fresh snow fall :D . Wish i had a cooler then (like the post 97 cars). Doh.

Tony.

vulnax999 16 November 2004 09:07 PM

My reservoir leaked too and made noises so I topped it up every month or two until Subaru got me a seal! ( And they don't stock these things ooop north you know! ).

Steering was OK and remained light though.

Should use Castrol Dextron III auto transmission fluid, it's written ( in English!! ) on the cap ... mines a JDM but sill in English as well as Jap !

Jolly Green Monster 17 November 2004 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tone Loc
Only problem i've had was when the bearings in the pump went. The pump got so load it was undriveable, occasionally got really heavy steering too...... that was a result of 1 1/2 hours of dounts a few winters back in the trafford centre car park after a lovely fresh snow fall :D . Wish i had a cooler then (like the post 97 cars). Doh.

Tony.

no noises now fluid level is correct... hoping to switch the pump and see what happens.

Jolly Green Monster 17 November 2004 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by vulnax999
My reservoir leaked too and made noises so I topped it up every month or two until Subaru got me a seal! ( And they don't stock these things ooop north you know! ).

Steering was OK and remained light though.

Should use Castrol Dextron III auto transmission fluid, it's written ( in English!! ) on the cap ... mines a JDM but sill in English as well as Jap !

had a leak before and did the same.. but this time topping level upto the correct amount and no assistance at all.

I replaced the Oring on friday again.. ordered it on Tuesday and was in on Thursday.. and he gave me a spare :)
but obviously the low level has screwed something in the pump..

Houghton 17 November 2004 11:37 PM

There's a procedure for bleeding the pump. iirc turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times with engine off, then with engine running. This is supposed to clear any trapped air.

Jolly Green Monster 18 November 2004 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Houghton
There's a procedure for bleeding the pump. iirc turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times with engine off, then with engine running. This is supposed to clear any trapped air.

many thanks I'll give that a go.. I did it with engine running but not with it switched off.. :)