ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   How many scoobs are driving around uninsured? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/379682-how-many-scoobs-are-driving-around-uninsured.html)

Bubba po 15 November 2004 11:24 AM

How many scoobs are driving around uninsured?

With the welter of old Jap wrx's coming into the country and seemingly being bought by quite young chaps (if some of the recent threads are to be taken at face value), it strikes me that more than one or two will be virtually uninsurable by their owners.

I'm going to post a poll with this, to see if anyone will admit driving uninsured.

Gutmann pug 15 November 2004 11:29 AM

How many people do you think are gonna admit to being un-insured on a national web site used by a fair few old bill??? :D

Bubba po 15 November 2004 11:30 AM

It's a private poll. :D

S.B. 15 November 2004 11:32 AM

I will admit to not having insurance on a jap import wrx :)

EddScott 15 November 2004 11:34 AM

I would imagine most of us at some point have driven a short distance either uninsured on a particular car - either "having a go" in someone elses car or perhaps moving an old shed of a car from one place to another.

However, driving an uninsured car that the police are going to pay attention to i.e Impreza with young lad behind wheel, anything with a big wing and loud exhuast etc.... is just asking for trouble IMHO.

Bubba po 15 November 2004 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by EddScott
I would imagine most of us at some point have driven a short distance either uninsured on a particular car - either "having a go" in someone elses car or perhaps moving an old shed of a car from one place to another.

However, driving an uninsured car that the police are going to pay attention to i.e Impreza with young lad behind wheel, anything with a big wing and loud exhuast etc.... is just asking for trouble IMHO.

Very true.

Gutmann pug 15 November 2004 11:41 AM

I uninsured in a 360 modena

but thats coz i dont own one :D

Bubba po 15 November 2004 11:43 AM

Doh... I'm a muppet magnet, aren't I... :lol1:

New_scooby_04 15 November 2004 11:46 AM

Insurance on a Scooby hurts - particularly if you're relatively young- there are no two ways about it. I would never dream of driving it uninsured though. Apart from the personal financial implications should an accident occur, there are the implications for other drivers' premiums. We all pay for uninsured drivers, afterall.

Best.

Steve vRS 15 November 2004 11:49 AM

And how many people are essentially uninsured due to either having non-declared mods or illegal mods?

Steve

Gutmann pug 15 November 2004 11:51 AM

Thats a fair comment Steve. Some people probably dont even realise they are not insured. When you buy a second hand car you have no idea how its been modded by its previous owner. Unless you know what your looking for would you know a de-cat or other after market exhaust from the real thing??

DaveD 15 November 2004 12:53 PM

A few years ago, I drove my car for a few weeks without insurance. At the time I didn't realise that I was uninsured, and it came as a bit of a shock - especially as I was doing around 100 miles a day at that time!! :eek:

The insurance company I had been with sent me the usual renewal notice which stated something like, "If you don't contact us, we'll assume you want your insurance renewed." However, I was close to moving at the time, and called to ask how much insurance would be at a prospective address - stating quite clearly that I was only after a quote, and wanted to carry on at the current address.

Thought nothing of it, but after a week or two, I realised that the new certificate hadn't come through......so I duly called the insurance co and they hadn't renewed my policy! Needless to say, I renewed there and then - didn't even think about phoning round, just wanted some insurance!

Can't imagine how anyone can drive around knowing they have no insurance - it's effectively stealing money from those who do pay.

tuscan57 15 November 2004 03:21 PM

can safely say im uninsured on any scooby....... until i buy the spec 'c' :D:D

aez 15 November 2004 04:45 PM

Ive been pulled over a couple of times being a young lad, and the police called up my insurence over there network with there disgust they had nothink on me W**KERS..

Jamescsti 15 November 2004 05:20 PM

I'm insured and i'm a young driver (for a scooby owner anyway, i'm 23)
But as I am a police officer i'd be pretty stupid not to!
I can confirm it's so easy to check if a car is insured or not these days you would be stupid not to have insurance, it's only a matter of time before you are caught and now your car goes to the crusher!

_Meridian_ 15 November 2004 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
How many people do you think are gonna admit to being un-insured on a national web site used by a fair few old bill??? :D

Apparantly three people so far have.

M

axgt_bwaii 15 November 2004 06:46 PM

im 24 and insurance is a fookin **** in my 93 import wrx. i pay like £160pm and then fuel+mods!
had to drive uninsured cos for 3 weeks when i 1st got it. i couldnt find anyone to insure me!

BUT its a scooby innit :p

aez 15 November 2004 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by axgt_bwaii
im 24 and insurance is a fookin **** in my 93 import wrx. i pay like £160pm and then fuel+mods!
had to drive uninsured cos for 3 weeks when i 1st got it. i couldnt find anyone to insure me!

BUT its a scooby innit :p

Your insurance must be low to pay £160pm im 24 and i pay about £300pm, but what could be because i sent a scooby to the grave yard 2years ago.

Lum 15 November 2004 10:28 PM

I'm fully insured on a jap import Legacy B4 but you dont have that option so I voted wrx.

£200 a month at age 25 with 4 years no claims. Sucks.

Scratch 15 November 2004 10:40 PM

Fully insured on a modified UK Turbo 2000 wagon for £619. All modifications (that I have either done or am otherwise aware of) are declared.

raywrx 15 November 2004 10:56 PM

as for uninsured scoobys EACH TO THEIR OWN that kuote (**** i spelt it wrong aswell ) is just for you

bubba pooooo

RS Grant 15 November 2004 11:10 PM

AEZ - You pay £3600 per year to insure a Scooby!! :eek: Crazy money mate!!

I paid 1200 FC, mods declared (Full De-Cat & wheels)..... I was 20 with 3 yrs NCB..... That was on a MY99 UK 4dr Impreza Turbo, was nippy enough too, kept up with mates standard P1 and ran a 13.3@102mph..... Who needs one of these Jap Import thingys!! hehe :p :D

Cheers,
Grant

Bubba po 15 November 2004 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by RS Grant
I paid 1200 FC, mods declared (Full De-Cat & wheels)..

Am I going round the twist or what? How can an insurance company give a quote on a vehicle that has modifications that are illegal for road-going use? :cuckoo:

Bubba po 15 November 2004 11:30 PM

Sobering thought. Five people have admitted driving their Jap import without insurance.

My fears were justified.

Rusty. 15 November 2004 11:35 PM

Last year, I bought a JDM but when I phoned up Ins Co, they said it was a UK. Took out UK policy.

Checked into car's history and confirmed it was an import (4dr rear wash/wipe a bit of a giveaway ;) ) but even DVLA wrote to me saying not an import :freak3:

Anyway, this year...it's insured as an import with mods declared so I suppose I could technically have been driving with insufficient cover...even though I had shelled out £800 AND got in writing that it was not a Jap :cuckoo:

RS Grant 15 November 2004 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Am I going round the twist or what? How can an insurance company give a quote on a vehicle that has modifications that are illegal for road-going use? :cuckoo:

Well, told them that it had a full exhaust system on it..... It was Norwich Union, they quoted me happy.. its not a long phonecall.

"Yes... its a 4dr, I do 10,000 miles a year and I'd like you to quote me happy"

Just like the advert!! :p :D

Cheers,
Grant

Bubba po 15 November 2004 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Well, told them that it had a full exhaust system on it..... It was Norwich Union, they quoted me happy.. its not a long phonecall.

"Yes... its a 4dr, I do 10,000 miles a year and I'd like you to quote me happy"

Just like the advert!! :p :D

Cheers,
Grant

So you've clicked on one of the "uninsured" options.... right? :)

hugo 15 November 2004 11:48 PM

I may be wrong on this but it doesn't matter if you have a humungus catalytic converter on your motor or a full decat, its the emmissions that are the concern. AFAIK if you give a decatted Impreza turbo a good thrash and then stick the sensor up its pipe you can often have legal readings. I await correction! :)

RS Grant 15 November 2004 11:50 PM

So you've clicked on one of the "uninsured" options.... right? :)

You mean that wasnt enough information to have Fully Comp Insurance..... but..... but..... the advert?! :eek: ;)

Cheers,
Grant

Bubba po 15 November 2004 11:50 PM

Am I missing your point? What about the emissions that went into the atmosphere before you got it nicely hot?