ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Lighting and Other Electrical (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/)
-   -   Flat battery?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-and-other-electrical-14/379643-flat-battery.html)

9ball 15 November 2004 08:29 AM

Flat battery??

I did not user my car for 4 days this week, went to use it on Sunday and the battery was flat. The engine would not turn over at all but the alarm sounded as the car was not locking/unlocking correctly. Got Subaru Assist out and they jump started the car with a battery pack went for a long run and all is now OK. This also happened to the car in February went I went away for a week and the battery was changed by Subaru then, any one have a similar problem?? 53 WRX PPP with 10K on the clock.

comic cuts 15 November 2004 08:46 AM

Hi 9ball. It's possible (if it's a trackstar that's fitted) that your dealer may have to ask Trackstar to update the alarm ECU prog, reducing the op time from 6 hours to 1 hour at rest. Best to ring your dealer asap.

CC

ShyTot 15 November 2004 09:30 AM

This is very common amongst Bug / Blob owners, esp. STIs, which have the Tracstar fitted as standard.
The dealers always seem to replace the battery, but the next time that the car is left for more than a few days it will re-occur.
I leave mine on an Accumate battery maintainer www.accumate.co.uk whenever I don't use the car for more than a couple of days, but that will only help if your car is kept in a garage during that time.

bogie 15 November 2004 10:14 AM

My Sti done the same thing a couple of weeks ago after leaving it for about a week.

The alternator doesn't actually give out full charge unless the headlights are on (or maybe any decent load).
The Subaru Assist guy showed me this, charge voltage goes from 13.3 to about 14.15 when the lights are turned on.

It's easy to check with voltmeter.

I am looking at something like the accumate too, cause it was a real pain in the bum.

Cheers

Bogie

9ball 15 November 2004 12:49 PM

Thanks guys, I've got it booked in at the dealers on Friday, see what they can do..

Andy_1271 15 November 2004 01:10 PM

I find the alarm system on my MX5 drags the abttery down to almost nothing if I don't run the car for a couple of weeks, only does it when the weather turns colder so the cold weather we've had recently could be an important factor

Keef69 15 November 2004 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 9ball
I did not user my car for 4 days this week, went to use it on Sunday and the battery was flat. The engine would not turn over at all but the alarm sounded as the car was not locking/unlocking correctly. Got Subaru Assist out and they jump started the car with a battery pack went for a long run and all is now OK. This also happened to the car in February went I went away for a week and the battery was changed by Subaru then, any one have a similar problem?? 53 WRX PPP with 10K on the clock.

It is probably the alarm draining the battery as much as anything else. If it is the standard Sigma unit, you should set it to holiday mode, when you are not using the car for a few days or weeks. I have posted a link a couple of times on "Secuirity" Do a search on Sigma M30 and you'll find my posts. The codes are all there.

Beastie 15 November 2004 02:09 PM

or even here http://www.surreyscoobies.co.uk/sigma.doc

Marky-San 15 November 2004 06:56 PM

I had same problem - replaced the alternator and battery and its sat for 4 weeks and turned over no probs. Before a week and its was charger out time. I also have immobiliser running from it.

2002pete 18 November 2004 02:12 PM

Had the same problem with my 02 WRX from new :mad: did not use the car for 4 days & the battery was flat, the engine would not turn over & a bleep from the alarm sounded. Had Subaru Assist out when I changed the battery I've have had no problem since :) it was the battery not the alarm. This is a very common problem with some of the New age Imprezas :mad:

Pete.

9ball 19 November 2004 10:10 AM

Dropped the car off this morning in the snow......let's see what they do..

2002pete 19 November 2004 05:19 PM

Hi 9ball ( Snow ) :( hope they change your battery ???

Pete. :)

9ball 23 November 2004 09:11 AM

Dealer changed the battery, all seems OK now.

ShyTot 23 November 2004 01:06 PM

It will be fine until the next time you leave it for a week. Then it will be flat again!