ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   03 WRX - Started "Shunting" when lifting off the throttle ... (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/378948-03-wrx-started-shunting-when-lifting-off-the-throttle.html)

MadMark 12 November 2004 11:33 AM

03 WRX - Started "Shunting" when lifting off the throttle ...

Usually low revs in traffic - doesn't matter which gear or whether on boost or not - when I lift off the throttle, either quickly or slowly the car "jerks" a couple of times. It feels as if the engine mounts are loose as the gear lever rocks gently back and forth when it's doing it - any ideas???

Paulo P 12 November 2004 01:00 PM

You've broken it :p

It does sound like a gearbox or engine mount may have failed. If you open the bonnet can you actually move the engine? Does the engine move excessively when you rev it with the bonnet open? Just a couple of things to check ;)

Squadron-Leader 12 November 2004 01:11 PM

MadMark

Exact same problem on my MY04 WRX.

It's almost impossible to drive in 1st gear in slow moving traffic (M25) when you're crawling along. However gentle you are with the throttle..... every off and on makes the car lurch back and forward. Driving in 2nd around 25mph gives the same result if I go off and on the throttle too.

A thread a while back identified the problem as 'Snatch and Play' in the gear box, and a few gearbox's have been replaced.

My gear box also whines and has what I can only describe as 'excessive' overrun in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd gear! In fact..... when slowing down, change down to 2nd, bring the clutch up and there's a noise that goes 'whur whur whur' as the car moves back and forth.

Sound anything like yours?

J.

MadMark 12 November 2004 06:46 PM

LOL @ Paul - I'll check it tomorrow .....

Squadron Leader - Spot on! That is *exactly* the problem and it's only started doing this in the last couple of months (and is getting worse)!

Paulo P 12 November 2004 10:49 PM

I can't understand because it never gets driven hard:confused:

MUCH :p:lol1:

MadMark 15 November 2004 12:31 PM

Paul - How can you even suggest that - you know how gently it gets treated ..... :D

FrenchBoy 15 November 2004 01:30 PM

Glad to see it's not just me that breaks gearboxes then!!! :D

Hard to beleive after all those thousands of miles of 'gentle' driving that yours is giving up.

Mine's still not quite right since the rebuild - clutch and gearbox stink all the time!!

Jamesemt 15 November 2004 02:10 PM

Could it not be that the ECU map isn't particularly great?

Mine's done it from brand new.

My Pug 205 did the same, the consensus with that was to get it chipped :D

Jiggerypokery 15 November 2004 02:33 PM

Mine is the same, WRX 03 PPP. The dealer sent a mechanic out with me, and commented that it "felt fine". Now I'm just gentle with the accelerator and tend to clutch if I know a "shunt" moment is otherwise unavoidable.

Jamesemt 15 November 2004 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Squadron-Leader
MadMark
In fact..... when slowing down, change down to 2nd, bring the clutch up and there's a noise that goes 'whur whur whur' as the car moves back and forth.

Sound anything like yours?

J.

Lol - try blipping the throttle before you come off the clutch and all will be fine :)